• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Suggestion Water source changes / Realism additions

Hartford15

Verified Member
Not being able to Surge with a bottle or torrent with it is a set back. Maybe make it so you need so many bottles for the moves. I kind of like the idea but it is handicapping us. I usually carry 3 bottles with me and if that wouldn't let me use the moves it would make me sad. The server that I play on doesn't config much so the defaults could really hurt us. So I just hope that 3 bottles would cut it. I understand the desert part. Just not the bottles.

It just seems that we water benders may have limited moves most of the time, especially if bottles aren't enough

Sekoshiba

Verified Member
No no I was supporting you :p
ah, thanks! I appreciate it!

Not being able to Surge with a bottle or torrent with it is a set back. Maybe make it so you need so many bottles for the moves. I kind of like the idea but it is handicapping us. I usually carry 3 bottles with me and if that wouldn't let me use the moves it would make me sad. The server that I play on doesn't config much so the defaults could really hurt us. So I just hope that 3 bottles would cut it. I understand the desert part. Just not the bottles.

It just seems that we water benders may have limited moves most of the time, especially if bottles aren't enough
I have to disagree with your protests towards this idea...The whole point of water-bending is that your environment can dictate your abilities. This isn't "handicapping" it's -selectively- "handicapping". It just shifts water's abilities so they're more powerful or weaker in situations that make sense in the media universe which the RPG plugin is all about.

The thing about bottles is that they are meant to dampen your dependence on external water sources, They're meant to mean you're not helpless in situations where you would be because of a lack of water. The Core doesn't have this currently because bottles count for an entire water-source each. What people tend to do is as you say "carry 3 bottles" and completely ignore the fact that certain environments are meant to be more difficult to deal with. So for core making water-bottles weaker but allowing them to carry only one "source" each, where each move can use up to 5 makes sense to me. Especially with the idea of certain moves losing water when they are executed-- You might be channeling torrent and be hit, meaning you lose a source and as a result one of your bottles will not be refilled when the move ends, etc etc.

The point of the RPG plugin is to introduce realism and distinct styles/nuances for each element. Having water so strictly handicapped when outside of its optimal areas definitely fits in with that idea, Same with the bottles thing where in the show they only ever contain a small amount of water each.

Hartford15

Verified Member
You said it was handicapping and you just explained how bottles worked that everyone already knew. I was asking how you want bottles to work since apparently water benders shouldn't be able to use all their moves

Here is an idea maybe. So then servers that don't want this implemented don't have to go through the configs. The config for it is set to default that you don't need certain amounts of waters for certain moves. Then the owner can just go in and change it to whatever they want. That way there isn't a default that causes it harder to bend certain moves

Last edited:

Sekoshiba

Verified Member
Refer to my first post in which I specify that attacks should use an "adjacent block system" for finding the power of water-bending attacks.

Attacks that use more water need more blocks, they need more water to perform. At the max number of blocks all water-bending moves get bonuses.

Bottles count as one source. So you can use them to bend weaker moves like Water-manipulation and Ice-spike when you're in a pinch, Because you bend from one bottle at a time this either means your attacks will be at their minimum damage (1/2 heart which means ice-spike is unaffected) or if my "realism" mini-ideas are implemented it means that only moves that use little water could be used with bottles.

This means that while bottles are a fallback and mean you can still fight, actual sources will almost always be better. Just like in the show.

X_Eco

Verified Member
I like this idea.However it doesn't matter were a water benders is as we have to be very resourceful about what we do making for an intresting game play.Adding this would make things a lot more intresting.

Hartford15

Verified Member
@Sekoshiba maybe you could revise your idea so if you have multiple "water skins" you can do the larger moves like in the show. We can't leave water benders totally helpless like you want. They should be able to carry a certain amount of bottles, but not too many because that isn't realistic, to do the larger moves.Also don't be rude about having to explain an idea to someone. I saw your status idea. Not everyone will understand it right away considering it is only in your head. And we aren't only questioning it we are making comments on how to make it better. If you can't take the criticism then don't post ideas.

Last edited:

Dr_CrossFire

Verified Member
Just on a side note, it was shown in the series that water benders can compress water, avatars and masters even more so.

Whilst I agree that it's a tiny bit unrealistic to bend a wave from a bottle, I disagree with it being unable to be bottlebent. Minecraft is a bit quirky; the blocky water looks like it's a lot, especially if it came out of a bottle, but if it were particles for example, it'd make more sense. You can't really compare a game like Minecraft to a TV show, as what you can and can't code from it is limited.

What you're suggesting is a change that makes waterbenders weaker on land, and stronger on water. On our server people tend to pvp in an arena a lot; they also complain that too many waterbenders camp on the river in the middle of the aforementioned arena. The change would make that even worse, as well as make water bending near-nonexistent on the land around it. There would be too much of a difference in power between a waterbender that struggles to find a source for his Surge, and the opposing airbender, who just spams AirSwipe and gracefully dodges every little splash of water that comes out of the occasional dead bush.

If this change WERE to be implemented, I'd like to suggest firebenders get weaker in snowy forests or oceans. They don't have to rely on sources they need to select, or to bring with them.

IMHO, this change overcomplicates waterbending, which players new to the plugin already have trouble with compared to the simple click needed for a FireBlast, and it would make water greatly unpopular. As it stands, waterbenders already have troubles finding a source on land, let alone fighting other benders there.

Hartford15

Verified Member
I agree with Dr_CrossFire. We do have issues finding sources on land. And water doesn't always come back our bottles. We should just leave it how its. Or make it so few bottles are enough. Some servers give bottles to players but only 2 or 3.
Even with sources we have troubles fighting people on land because they can do so much more. Adding this will make us weaker

Hartford15

Verified Member
I know it is for RPG, and on the RPG server I play on it is already hard enough to fight people. Making it so we can only use our moves at certain times is limiting us. Everyone else can use all 9 moves they have bound whenever. But us water benders shouldn't be able to do that. We should only be able to use them when we already have the upper hand with water around us. This isn't fair to water benders all it would add is people being upset with water and switching to a different element

jedk1

I know it is for RPG, and on the RPG server I play on it is already hard enough to fight people. Making it so we can only use our moves at certain times is limiting us. Everyone else can use all 9 moves they have bound whenever. But us water benders shouldn't be able to do that. We should only be able to use them when we already have the upper hand with water around us. This isn't fair to water benders all it would add is people being upset with water and switching to a different element
So you are basically saying you dont want to have the rpg side of the plugin which is meant to be the most realistic form of rpg there can be, shouldnt be realistic?

Hartford15

Verified Member
I want the RPG plugin but it is unfair to Waterbenders that they get to use about 2 moves. If this is going to work give the water benders more moves. Otherwise it isn't fair and we get a huge handicap

jedk1

I want the RPG plugin but it is unfair to Waterbenders that they get to use about 2 moves. If this is going to work give the water benders more moves. Otherwise it isn't fair and we get a huge handicap
Just make sure you are near a water source... The idea here is that water benders should have to play strategicaly, if they want to be at top performance

owlcool

Verified Member
If you watch day of the black sun you can see that Katara uses waterarms from 4 water bottles. In this plugin it would be the equivalent of octopus form, so you should be able to use all your moves if you have 4 water bottles.

Hartford15

Verified Member
Exactly what I was saying. We should be able to use all our moves from maybe more like 3. 3 is usually a good number for water bottles for bending I have found. I am not totally against it, we just need to be able to use bottles for all our moves.