• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Suggestion Water source changes / Realism additions

Sekoshiba

Verified Member
In The legend of Aang/The legend of Korra water-bending is affected most directly by the quantity of water present.

"A waterbender gains a significant advantage or disadvantage over other benders depending on the amount of water in the vicinity. Enemies are able to take advantage of this by driving them away from water sources. As a result, traveling waterbenders often carry a water skin with them at all times. Master waterbenders are able to extract water from plants, ultimately killing the plants, and even condense water vapor out of thin air." -TLA Wiki

This is not very apparent in the plugin because there is no gradient or "quantity" associated with water-bending. You can create entire waves from a tiny plant or a bottle, as well as carry several water-bottles allowing you to spam techniques over and over without ever needing a real water source, even advanced techniques receive no penalty to what should be a tiny amount of water being splooshed at people...

What I propose:

When selecting a water source in addition to the generic "check-if-waterbendable-block", a second check is made to check if there are other water-bendable blocks adjacent to the one being targeted, Following this the target block -AND- adjacent blocks up to a max number (I'll use five as an example throughout this explanation) would be used and the technique would be produced from the target block as per usual. Depending on the number of adjacent blocks the technique would receive the "moon" modifier but to varying extents. For the max amount of blocks the server's "night time" value would be used (Full moon would still be a value reserved only for full moons). This would mean "Surge" for instance could vary from a tiny and easily-dodged wave to a large and powerful wave depending on the source used.

examples (Water-manipulation):

Worst case scenario: You're in a desert and bend a single withered sapling at an enemy, That's one bendable block with no adjacent water-bendable blocks- The attack does the minimum damage it possibly can using some value of the "moon" modifier.

Best case scenario: You're near an ocean, river, or lots of snow (or use a tree's leaves) as your source for an attack- Those have water-bendable blocks adjacent to them and so the attacks are more effective/larger than using a small source of water.

Issue resolution(s):

This bonus, if it stacked with the already pretty significant "Night-Time/Moon" bonus for water-benders could make them very OP, So what I propose is that instead of the multiplier coming into affect at night a separate system is used, where at night the value returned for adjacent blocks receives slight bonuses (1-3 blocks up to but not exceeding the maximum value). Meaning that Water-benders become stronger at night but still have to be in the right place in order to benefit fully. It also means that in an ocean where they are already very powerful they do not become OP, it simply gives them more freedom to use smaller water sources such as bottles.

The result:

Water-benders require much more strategic thinking because saplings in a desert are no longer as effective as a river, ocean, or forest canopy. Water-benders would be much weaker during the day-time in deserts and other arid lands, but much stronger in the oceans, swamps, and forests, Much like in the show. At night, however, it makes their dependence on large sources less noticeable, meaning forays into deserts and water-barren lands become more viable (but still more dangerous than watery areas).

In water-abundant areas you are more powerful than before, but you are weaker in drier areas than before.

Less viable/brutal realism changes:

- In deserts your bottles have a chance of evaporating with each (~X~) interval.

~Disclaimer: Think of channeling as torrent or octopus-form "shifting" and read "(~X~)" as "variable"~

- When channeling lightning hits you harder and the channel fails.

- When hit during channeling with a non-lightning and non-water move you take reduced damage but the channel fails (or it knocks water source modifiers of (~X~) blocks off of your attack but dampens damage taken by you).

- When hit during channeling with a water technique of under (~X~) source blocks (A weak attack) it counts as adding +1 adjacent source-blocks to the source multiplier for the move you are channeling, however this only happens once, subsequent water attacks will hit you.

- Certain attacks require a source of (~X~) adjacent blocks to use. Meaning that surge, torrent, octopus-form actually need lower-medium amounts of water to use, no more bottle-bending huge waves! (Water-manipulation and Ice-spike only need 1 block though!)

In the show water-pouches were a Water-benders last option reserve of water, not a "I have a tiny bit of water I can do everything I usually do" pouch.

Edit for addition: Although devs have said many times that "rain-check" is unreliable, if this is ever a viable way to call modifiers it should add points to the aforementioned "source number" above.

Thanks for reading, Hopefully a few of these ideas are liked!

Last edited:

Sekoshiba

Verified Member
Not if you use it properly, like in the show. Also Water-bending is overpowered as it is, we suffer no penalties in areas where we should be severely weakened. What I meant to suggest with the above post was a way to make it more powerful in situations where it -should- be and less powerful where it -shouldn't-.

You can freeze people in a huge dome of ice. In a desert. From a tiny sapling that has withered. From being in the desert. Because it is so dry.

Sekoshiba

Verified Member
I suggested we shouldn't be able to make huge masses of water out of tiny masses of water and use bigger moves at times when it makes sense to be stronger.

So at certain times you're -stronger- you just have to use it properly.

Edit: Also if you could remove multi-post spam that'd be great...

Sekoshiba

Verified Member
It means you reach full-moon multipliers during the day if you have enough water. That's stronger than usual.

It just means you aren't uniformly strong everywhere-- having sources actually matters.

Edit: In the show the reliance on a large quantity of water is very significant. Katara is shown bend larger amounts during the daytime at sea than she can in a forest under a full moon. So what this does is mean that having large sources of water actually does something and makes you stronger for being in areas where they are abundant. Like in the show and all associated media which clearly shows that quantities of water matter. Now what this does is not make water-benders weaker uniformly, It means that, like in the show, they reach spikes of power during full moons AND around large bodies of water.

Hartford15

Verified Member
This idea is not fair to water bender when they have to become weaker and be able to do what they normally can do at restricted points

Sekoshiba

Verified Member
Remember this is for RPG not Core, so its more true to the show.
Ah, that is absolutely my mistake, if this is not proper to be here should it move? Do you know of a way I can move it or is that up to senior forum members to do? ^^

Okay so we would be able to do everything now, just if we have more sources it would be stronger
It ranges.

It means your environment dictates your strength and positioning yourself in said environments can change the outcome of a battle.

In deserts you are restricted because it makes sense and is true to the show which this plugin aims to mimic to some degree.

Near larger bodies of water you are more powerful and not restricted at all because you have access to more water because it makes sense and is true tot he show which this plugin aims to mimic to some degree.

Actually it says we can't use surge with a withered sapling
As one of many suggestions, yes, because it doesn't make sense to pull a huge wave from a tiny dead plant. For my logic refer to the show and associated media.

This idea is not fair to water bender when they have to become weaker and be able to do what they normally can do at restricted points
It makes them stronger at certain points where it makes sense for them to be. It also makes them weaker in zones that are best for other bending types.

Water-benders rule the oceans, swamps, and forests where there is lots of water. They use water. They like it very much. They cannot -make- water. Again refer to associated media for my logic.

They suck in deserts and places without water. This is shown many times in both series where Katara is powered-down or Korra/Aang uses other bending forms because of a lack of water. It makes no sense to be able to conjure Tsunamis from houseplants.

You cannot make water.

Hartford15

Verified Member
I don't know how I would feel about this. I can't seem to put my finger on it. Mixed feelings

Last edited:

Sekoshiba

Verified Member
No, water is extremely OP even in the desert! Just spam torrent! This would make it much more realistic, if you don't like it, dont download RPG.
As someone that plays water I agree entirely, It doesn't make sense that in deserts you are presented with the ability to pretty much be just as affective (apart from mobility) as you would be next to a river or the ocean.

Also for my idea the actual block type doesn't matter, just the number of adjacent blocks. A 3-tall cactus would provide three times as much as a 1 block sapling, meaning that torrent from a cactus would be possible, but just more restricted and more difficult to prepare quickly in a desert. Meaning in a desert you'd be at a disadvantage.

I do remember Hamma making water
Tiny amounts, enough to coat her fingernails. As far as rain goes the developers have confirmed it to be impossible or at least very difficult to implement as a water source. Meaning that for now physical sources are a necessity.

For balancing and the reason that we have loads of sources already (which my suggestion could potentially change) I don't think drawing water from the air should be allowed. If it -is- it should be a slow process over a few seconds to fill a bottle and be a utility "non-combat" skill.

Please us the "edit" feature if you feel the need to add more immediately after posting, It just makes your ideas more easy to read in one place and also is much neater too.