• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Suggestion Water source changes / Realism additions

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
I feel like people are trying to use RPG to hurt waterbending. I have seen almost no suggestions in RPG for other elements, at least, none with more negative affects. Frankly, 1 desert sapling doesn't even give us enough water to do anything. At most, 1 torrent, surge, waterwave, or octopus form, none of which would be capable of defeating an opponent, besides octopus form, which if we are lucky, pushes opponents away and damages them enough times to kill them. As you can see, lessening the amount of water this provides unnecessary and makes it hard, let alone impossible, to defeat opponents.

OmniCypher

Staff member
Lead Developer
Administrator
Plugin Developer
I feel like people are trying to use RPG to hurt waterbending. I have seen almost no suggestions in RPG for other elements, at least, none with more negative affects. Frankly, 1 desert sapling doesn't even give us enough water to do anything. At most, 1 torrent, surge, waterwave, or octopus form, none of which would be capable of defeating an opponent, besides octopus form, which if we are lucky, pushes opponents away and damages them enough times to kill them. As you can see, lessening the amount of water this provides unnecessary and makes it hard, let alone impossible, to defeat opponents.
If RPG is suppose to mirror the Avatar Universe... then how is it realistic for a waterbender to win or have a lot of power in that situation?

Dr_CrossFire

Verified Member
If RPG is suppose to mirror the Avatar Universe... then how is it realistic for a waterbender to win or have a lot of power in that situation?
I believe he mentioned that no other "nerfs" have been suggested for other elements, and because waterbenders are already struggling in deserts, there'd be no reason to nerf it any further.
If firebenders would get significantly weaker in ocean and snowy forest biomes, (note, SIGNIFICANTLY, firebenders don't need to select sources, nor do they need to bring any sources with them to be even remotely competitive) then, I'd understand, but as it stands, in no way does water require this change. It's hard enough to even find a source in the desert, meaning that it actually mirrors the show pretty closely already. Nerfing water bottles to only allow IceSpike and Watermanipulation to be bottlebent would be the final nail in the coffin.

AlexTheCoder

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I believe he mentioned that no other "nerfs" have been suggested for other elements, and because waterbenders are already struggling in deserts, there'd be no reason to nerf it any further.
If firebenders would get significantly weaker in ocean and snowy forest biomes, (note, SIGNIFICANTLY, firebenders don't need to select sources, nor do they need to bring any sources with them to be even remotely competitive) then, I'd understand, but as it stands, in no way does water require this change. It's hard enough to even find a source in the desert, meaning that it actually mirrors the show pretty closely already. Nerfing water bottles to only allow IceSpike and Watermanipulation to be bottlebent would be the final nail in the coffin.
Um Cactus?

Sekoshiba

Verified Member
If I may point out...

Lots of people seem to see my idea as "nerfing" water when the intention was just to shift the areas of positive boosts more in line with the show (ie. Rivers, lakes, snowy areas) by making the amount of water actually mean something as opposed to every single source chosen being the same.

The reason I have not mentioned other elements is because I don't play them very regularly, as well as Air and Earth being pretty uniform throughout the show.

tl;dr, In the show if you fight a waterbender on their own turf (ie. Rivers, lakes, snowy areas) you're pretty screwed. If you fight a firebender where the sun is strong you are basically screwed too. I understand that, yes, balance is important, but you must all understand my post was just for water.

Thanks.

Sekoshiba

Verified Member
I like the firebending suggestion, They should get negative effects to their bending in less warm or more humid areas.

It was never my intention to make water-benders feel weaker, just to feel more varied in their strengths and to work with said strengths to be stronger.

I feel like people are trying to use RPG to hurt waterbending. I have seen almost no suggestions in RPG for other elements, at least, none with more negative affects.
There's a "new thread button" you should try out. I'd love to read your ideas.

1 desert sapling doesn't even give us enough water to do anything.
Good. It shouldn't.

This is the RPG section of the forum, it's for stuff that makes sense and can benefit the realism of the plugin.

As you can see, lessening the amount of water this provides unnecessary and makes it hard, let alone impossible, to defeat opponents.
Wow, totally unlike in the show this RPG plugin aims to emulate, woah.

--Sorry for getting annoyed, but it's starting to get on my nerves that people keep posting like "No! You can't make water-bending weaker in a desert with no water! It's making me tear-bend!". Cacti, saplings, and bottles make deserts easy. ~*EASY*~. What's worse is that half the people that have replied haven't even talked about the "shift in strength" and always seem to see the "less powerful in deserts" bit without reading the rest of my suggestion. I spent the first page+ explaining to Hartford that it's a "shift" not a "nerf", and that was fairly painful because of water-fangirling. This is the RPG section of the plugin, It does not aim to make you super powerful or able to beat everyone, it aims to make it like the show. Dealio.--

~~Water is the element of change and if it is captured in the RPG plugin it should be shown as such. When you learn a style of bending you incorporate it into your being. For water this means accepting the change, the shift, in power that exists within your own abilities, And I feel it is important this is shown in the plugin.~~

Moopy

Verified Member
I love this idea! I feel it provides the perfect balance between weakening water benders and strengthening them at the same time. Waterbenders strength in the anime was always shown to be very situational, and I feel that this isn't reflected enough in the plugin. If people really despise it, then they can just turn it off in the config.

Elias

Verified Member
I see it from both perspectives here. Yes I see the realism in sources actually becoming a bit more realistic. Yet Also I do see it as a downer in a worst case scenario that you need to dish out a powerful attack in a desert and your best bet is a mere sapling (Trust me I've been there.) But it couldn't hurt to shift it a bit and make it more like the show. Even then if you find yourself in a desert seek another source. No clue why you would put up with one anyway. They are pretty annoying ,-,

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
I love this idea! I feel it provides the perfect balance between weakening water benders and strengthening them at the same time. Waterbenders strength in the anime was always shown to be very situational, and I feel that this isn't reflected enough in the plugin. If people really despise it, then they can just turn it off in the config.
Well, I think it is unfair. Earthbenders, who also require a source, can still earthbend in water if close enough to the ground (not that they'd even have much reason to be near water at all), but we need to constantly stay near water. Even our waterbottles can eventually run out. Katara created a pretty good sized torrent, from just a small ring of grass (The Puppetmaster). Earthbending is also relatively situational, but there are no suggestions to limit it. Air and Fire also aren't situationally limited. I think waterbending is fine the way it is. With few water sources in the desert, we at least need to have SOME equal footing, enough to be able to fight. Plus, earthbenders can even use their bending to remove blocks, entire columns, of water! what is fair about that?

owlcool

Verified Member
Well, I think it is unfair. Earthbenders, who also require a source, can still earthbend in water if close enough to the ground (not that they'd even have much reason to be near water at all), but we need to constantly stay near water. Even our waterbottles can eventually run out. Katara created a pretty good sized torrent, from just a small ring of grass (The Puppetmaster). Earthbending is also relatively situational, but there are no suggestions to limit it. Air and Fire also aren't situationally limited. I think waterbending is fine the way it is. With few water sources in the desert, we at least need to have SOME equal footing, enough to be able to fight. Plus, earthbenders can even use their bending to remove blocks, entire columns, of water! what is fair about that?
It is going to be somewhat hard to remove a lake with just raise earth in the middle of battling, let alone if a waterbender spammed torrent on them.

AlexTheCoder

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
This is a suggestion for RPG......................................

AlexTheCoder

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
RPG is based on real life, which usually isn't fair.

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
Then water Benders shouldn't be in deserts. Simple as that.
what if we have no choice? what if we are sent there by bending? And we have to go inland eventually; there are some things coasts cannot provide. We may also have to go underground. and It isn't just the desert I am referring to. Anywhere on land a waterbender could run out of water. but Earthbenders rarely run out of earth. And the 4 elements are all meant to be BALANCED. The creators of Avatar didn't intend a free-for-all against Water by the other 3 elements. If this is implemented, we are at a severe disadvantage.

Moopy

Verified Member
what if we have no choice? what if we are sent there by bending? And we have to go inland eventually; there are some things coasts cannot provide. We may also have to go underground. and It isn't just the desert I am referring to. Anywhere on land a waterbender could run out of water. but Earthbenders rarely run out of earth. And the 4 elements are all meant to be BALANCED. The creators of Avatar didn't intend a free-for-all against Water by the other 3 elements. If this is implemented, we are at a severe disadvantage.
I disagree. You would still be able to bottlebend, you just wouldn't be nearly as strong. Anyway, in the anime, it is often shown that without good sources of water nearby, water benders are almost helpless. If you really need to go inland, go into a tundra or something. If you need ores, either bring bottles of water or buckets of water, or just get a non water bending buddy. It's really quite simple.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
what if we have no choice? what if we are sent there by bending?
According to you, if an earth bender is sent to an ocean, he/she is screwed, then a water benders is screwed when being sent to the desert. All elements have their disadvantages and their advantages.
And I NEVER stay in/near a river on a server. I always go to an icsoike biome, dark oak forest, or just something with lots of grass and flowers.

Anyway, I think this makes total sense. It would be a good addition.

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
According to you, if an earth bender is sent to an ocean, he/she is screwed, then a water benders is screwed when being sent to the desert. All elements have their disadvantages and their advantages.
And I NEVER stay in/near a river on a server. I always go to an icsoike biome, dark oak forest, or just something with lots of grass and flowers.

Anyway, I think this makes total sense. It would be a good addition.
I NEVER said earthbenders aren't screwed if they go to an ocean. They aren't, because they can still bend the earth at the bottom.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I NEVER said earthbenders aren't screwed if they go to an ocean. They aren't, because they can still bend the earth at the bottom.
no, earth benders are completely screwed in an OCEAN. The earth the bottom is WAY too deep, you'll be drowned when you get there, and using raise earth isn't an option neither, cuz it is too deep. If earth is screwed in an ocean, then water is in a desert/mesa.