• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Timings Report

ServerElementals

Verified Member
Yes you guys really need to fix this. Whenever my server has 20+ players, the TPS drops to 7 or lower. I'm about to spend a few thousand to advertise my server, but im reconsidering because if im server can't hold 20 people, then how is it going to handle a hundred? You should spend a few days working on performance, instead of features.

Coolade

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
ServerElemental if reducing lag is a huge priority I would remove Factions from your server. When Factions is present PK has to call methods to Factions to check if the region is protected or not from that specific user. Basically, for every block that is being affected by an ability Factions has to cycle through their methods, check the relationship between the players and factions, then report back whether or not that block can be changed. For small servers with just a few factions it isn't a big deal but if your server has dozens of factions, from my experience, it is hell on the TPS.

Over the past week I added a few fixes to try and improve TPS but for the most part it is pretty much as good as it is going to get while Factions is present. You'll notice the larger servers that support 50+ players lag free don't use Factions.

You should reconsider.

ServerElementals

Verified Member
ServerElemental if reducing lag is a huge priority I would remove Factions from your server. When Factions is present PK has to call methods to Factions to check if the region is protected or not from that specific user. Basically, for every block that is being affected by an ability Factions has to cycle through their methods, check the relationship between the players and factions, then report back whether or not that block can be changed. For small servers with just a few factions it isn't a big deal but if your server has dozens of factions, from my experience, it is hell on the TPS.

Over the past week I added a few fixes to try and improve TPS but for the most part it is pretty much as good as it is going to get while Factions is present. You'll notice the larger servers that support 50+ players lag free don't use Factions.

You should reconsider.
Factions is a big part of my server, but your point makes sense. I will remove it, but could I install an alternative faction plugin?
Also, will the timings be within the 0-25% range if the server has 50 players, and 10 of them use an air move, 20 of them use a fire move, 10 of them use a fire move, and 10 use a very heave move (fireburst).?

EDIT: I just found a server, that one of the developers of the plugin owns, benderscraft that has 150+ players and doesn't lag. It uses factions? benderscraft.no-ip.org

Last edited:

Coolade

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Does he run everybody on a single computer or does he have multiple computers linking to little sub-servers? Make sure your Factions is set to clean up the garbage Factions very frequently, I had mine set to like every 4 days and I was able to get 50 or so people without too much lag. For a brief period I had to turn off the auto factions remover and the lag started to get unbearable.

Certain moves are inherently laggy (Shockwave, Torrent, FireBurst, etc) but for the most part the lag should clean up after the move is finished. Certain moves like AirBubble or WaterBubble are constantly active so those are usually the ones to worry about.

Blockkkster

Verified Member
Does he run everybody on a single computer or does he have multiple computers linking to little sub-servers? Make sure your Factions is set to clean up the garbage Factions very frequently, I had mine set to like every 4 days and I was able to get 50 or so people without too much lag. For a brief period I had to turn off the auto factions remover and the lag started to get unbearable.

Certain moves are inherently laggy (Shockwave, Torrent, FireBurst, etc) but for the most part the lag should clean up after the move is finished. Certain moves like AirBubble or WaterBubble are constantly active so those are usually the ones to worry about.
It's Rune's server. I play on it, and I can tell you he has 3 seperate servers interlinked. Factions is in one of the seperate servers.

HiddenCloud

Verified Member
Factions is a big part of my server, but your point makes sense. I will remove it, but could I install an alternative faction plugin?
Also, will the timings be within the 0-25% range if the server has 50 players, and 10 of them use an air move, 20 of them use a fire move, 10 of them use a fire move, and 10 use a very heave move (fireburst).?

EDIT: I just found a server, that one of the developers of the plugin owns, benderscraft that has 150+ players and doesn't lag. It uses factions? benderscraft.no-ip.org
Factions doesn't use that much resources, the way the blocks are checked is done via the Factions API. And I'm sure the developer made sure that it could take a lot before lagging. Constant worldguard checks might cause a bit of lag though, but nothing compared to the lag generated by heavy attacks. Removing it will have very few impact on your timings.

ServerElementals

Verified Member

76 factions, 150+ players, server for a hub and the server. Owner is monstercat.

It's Rune's server. I play on it, and I can tell you he has 3 seperate servers interlinked. Factions is in one of the seperate servers.
No it isnt bending heroes, his server still lags a bit. It's benders craft i'm talking about.

Coolade

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
76 factions, 150+ players, server for a hub and the server. Owner is monstercat.
Hmm if he can get 150+ players with the plugin then perhaps the issue isn't with the plugin. You should try contacting him for some tips on reducing lag.

ServerElementals

Verified Member
Hmm if he can get 150+ players with the plugin then perhaps the issue isn't with the plugin. You should try contacting him for some tips on reducing lag.
I did, and i got her name wrong, it's cpdances and according to the wiki she's staff here? but it doesn't say on this website she is?

HiddenCloud

Verified Member
That server requires a player to 'level up' tot use bending attacks, thus the amount of people bending is few compared tot the online players. Plus i'm certain that theyve disabled the heavy attacks tot reduce lag including many other tweaks like disabling mob spawners and such. Their hub server has 150 players, not the actual server where bending is ran. There are many ways to reduce lag, but the plugin still is the main lag cause.