• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Thoughts on seperate Config files?

Which config format do you think is best?

• One config, all in one place. I can control+f

• One element per config, more organized.

• One config for stock variables, one for addon variables.

Results are only viewable after voting.

OmniCypher

Staff member
Lead Developer
Administrator
Plugin Developer
Hey everyone, happy to note that we are finishing up 1.8.2! We have been discussing separating the single config file into multiple smaller ones. What do you guys think about this? Would it be easier to have them be per element? Would a stock config and addon config be better? Server Owners, please vote in the poll above so we can make the configs the way you guys would prefer them!

xNuminousx

Verified Member
I personally don't think separating them would be a good idea. I'd much rather be able to edit it all in one swoop rather than having to switch from file to file. I would like to keep add-on abilities separate from the stock abilities so that they are easier to get to and I don't have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the file. I know where everything is, roughly, so a long file isn't TOO big of a deal for me. I really think having each in a different file is an unnecessary hassle.

**Side Note**
I like these more frequent updates Omni. I'm really starting to feel a part of the whole process and not-so left out of the loop. Keep up the good work!

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
I'd say why not. It's not like it should be a "must have", but more "ok cool". Making seperate per element would definantly make it (for some people) more cleaner/organize. Seperate custom from offficial? Isn't this already a thing? Or are you referring for a config that creates one big config for all custom techniques, without per same author? For that, I might say "no".
I would like to keep add-on abilities separate from the stock abilities so that they are easier to get to and I don't have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the file.
Same...

Vahagn

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
While having a seperate configurations would be very organized, it would be VERY VERY hard to balance moves if you have to switch in between files to check out a move, go back to the file etc. Its much more time efficient the way it is currently.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
While having a seperate configurations would be very organized, it would be VERY VERY hard to balance moves if you have to switch in between files to check out a move, go back to the file etc. Its much more time efficient the way it is currently.
I wouldn't overexaggerate by emphazing the words with caps. If you're using notepad++, you can EASILY EASILY switch between files to check out a move, go back to file ect. It's not like those files would be named anything else apart from respective element, eg, waterbending (wouldn't they? I hope not).

Vahagn

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I wouldn't overexaggerate by emphazing the words with caps. If you're using notepad++, you can EASILY EASILY switch between files to check out a move, go back to file ect. It's not like those files would be named anything else apart from respective element, eg, waterbending (wouldn't they? I hope not).
Have you ever used an FTP? if so you would know downloading 2 different config.yml files overwrites the previous one because they are the same name. and they go to the same spot in your ram. Or atleast thats my experience with it

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
You mean by name? PK could just do eg. earthbendingconfig.yml, fireconfig.yml ect. that way it wouldn override them. Also, does it effects files in subfolders? If not, that would be another way to avoid that issue.