• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Sub-element Ice, or is it?

matthirten13

Verified Member
Yeah, so I was just wondering if there actually was an instance of a water bender not being able to use ice? I can't think of a single bender who tries to use it who can't, and I also never remember them calling it a rare ability in the show. Bloodbending was called a rare and powerful bending, healing was called a special skill by the whitelotus fire bending master, whose name I can't remember, flight was only ever achieved twice, lightning was considered a high level technique that not everyone could do, etc. You get the point, I just wanted to know of ice was ever mentioned in that way.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Yeah, so I was just wondering if there actually was an instance of a water bender not being able to use ice? I can't think of a single bender who tries to use it who can't, and I also never remember them calling it a rare ability in the show. Bloodbending was called a rare and powerful bending, healing was called a special skill by the whitelotus fire bending master, whose name I can't remember, flight was only ever achieved twice, lightning was considered a high level technique that not everyone could do, etc. You get the point, I just wanted to know of ice was ever mentioned in that way.
No, and I don't believe they said plant was a very harmful skill to master, but it's a sub too.

Deathgag

Verified Member
Well I never saw those plant benders make ice, so I'm assuming the use of ice is unique to Northern and Southern style water bending. A waterbender growing up in a polar region would have a better understanding of water and ice, and their relationship in bending just as the swamp tribe has a better understanding of the relationship of water and plant life.

SenpaiBlaze

Verified Member
Ice is a sub element. Read projecrkorra's post on what their sub element standards are. Also, they are called "water" benders not "ice" benders, therefor it is a sub element. It is not the same material or even liquid form as water . Ice is cooler :p

Migsel

Verified Member
Ice is a sub element. Read projecrkorra's post on what their sub element standards are. Also, they are called "water" benders not "ice" benders, therefor it is a sub element. It is not the same material or even liquid form as water . Ice is cooler :p
._.

What has science come to...

My face

Has been palmed

HadesDude

Verified Member
Well I never saw those plant benders make ice, so I'm assuming the use of ice is unique to Northern and Southern style water bending. A waterbender growing up in a polar region would have a better understanding of water and ice, and their relationship in bending just as the swamp tribe has a better understanding of the relationship of water and plant life.
The swamp benders did bend ice though. They used it to propel the torpedoes on Day of Black Sun and I believe they also sealed a hole in the submarine by creating ice.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
With this logic Breathbending should be a subelement - because it isn't bending the same gas. And the same with mudbending - it's a liquid form of earth, just like lava. Different form = sub-element by your standards, and I agree. I just think that Breathbending and Mudbending should be add because of this reasoning. And possibly plasmabending to fire. (There are four states of matter - Gas [main is air], Liquid [main is water], solid [main is earth], and plasma [main is fire]) When these forms of matter cross, you get the subelements.
Solid + Liquid = Ice, Plant, Mud
Gas + Plasma = Lightning, Combustion, SpiritualProjection
Solid + Gas = Breath, Flight
Solid + Plasma = Metal, Sand, Lava
Liquid + Plasma = Healer, Blood
That's how I see it.

Last edited:

SenpaiBlaze

Verified Member
With this logic Breathbending should be a subelement - because it isn't bending the same gas. And the same with mudbending - it's a liquid form of earth, just like lava. Different form = sub-element by your standards, and I agree. I just think that Breathbending and Mudbending should be add because of this reasoning. And possibly plasmabending to fire. (There are four states of matter - Gas [main is air], Liquid [main is water], solid [main is earth], and plasma [main is fire]) When these forms of matter cross, you get the subelements.
Solid + Liquid = Ice, Plant, Mud
Gas + Plasma = Lightning, Combustion, SpiritualProjection
Solid + Gas = Breath, Flight
Solid + Plasma = Metal, Sand, Lava
Liquid + Plasma = Healer, Blood
That's how I see it.
Mud is not considered a sub element due to the fact is is just water MIXED with dirt. Therefor the dirt combines with the water when the water erodes away at it, and you get mud! Flight has nothing to do with a solid, as of airbenders just flew by gliding wind behind them or over their glider. Metal is just earth with a different material, same with sand, so has nothing to do with plasma. Blood is another form of water that is just harder for waterbenders to grasp and control, and no one really knows too much about healing. Breath is also not a solid. ( Same Reason). Combustion could be or could not be considered a plasma. Ice is just a plain solid, and since it is different than water (and even in a different material form) it is considered a sub element.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Mud is not considered a sub element due to the fact is is just water MIXED with dirt. Therefor the dirt combines with the water when the water erodes away at it, and you get mud! Flight has nothing to do with a solid, as of airbenders just flew by gliding wind behind them or over their glider. Metal is just earth with a different material, same with sand, so has nothing to do with plasma. Blood is another form of water that is just harder for waterbenders to grasp and control, and no one really knows too much about healing. Breath is also not a solid. ( Same Reason). Combustion could be or could not be considered a plasma. Ice is just a plain solid, and since it is different than water (and even in a different material form) it is considered a sub element.
The sub elements so far are just different forms of the main element. I don't see why breath and mud can't be considered sub elements when they are obviously a different form.

SenpaiBlaze

Verified Member
The sub elements so far are just different forms of the main element. I don't see why breath and mud can't be considered sub elements when they are obviously a different form.
Breath is just breathing wind from your mouth and mud is just water mixed with dirt lol

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Ice is just frozen water. Metal is just refined earth. I don't see why those are subelements because they are a different form, and breath is breathing a different type of air than when just bending the air around you. Mud is just water mixed with dirt. They are both still different forms of the main elements.

jedk1

breath is just another way of move execution, its what the move does that can decide its subability.
Take FrostBreath for example, is Ice subelement, cos its breathing ice, where as FireBreath is just breathing fire, nothing else.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
breath is just another way of move execution, its what the move does that can decide its subability.
Suffocate is bending a different type of air than normal airbending. I wasn't talking about breath moves like you've made, I'm talking about bending the air out of your opponent.

jedk1

Suffocate is bending a different type of air than normal airbending. I wasn't talking about breath moves like you've made, I'm talking about bending the air out of your opponent.
i dont think breath would be the correct way of putting it, i think maybe calling it, asphyxiation (meaning suffocate)