• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Should Teachers Be Armed?

Should teachers be armed with weapons (such as guns)?

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

owlcool

Verified Member
An issue like this has many faults to it, but I think that generally, teachers shouldn't be armed with a weapon in school, outside of the context of teaching how to use that weapon.

Security guards are the way to go on this. Teachers shouldn't have to learn how to use and shoot a gun, follow a shooter, stay cool-headed in the chaos of a shooting situation, and be expected to kill a shooter if they ever enter a shooting situation to be a teacher. They should know the material, and how to teach. Perhaps they should specifically know how to teach the material.

Even in extreme contexts, like a teacher teaching dangerous prisoners, teachers shouldn't be expected to carry a gun. They should never get close enough to such a prisoner as to come across danger, and Security/Prison guards should be the ones expected to deal with a bad situation.

Instead, teach your educators how to control and calm their students, and then respond accordingly to any situation and prepare your guardians to do their job.

Teachers have a pretty stressful job, having to teach around 30 students a class period, control and calm those many students per class period, and learn their names, and try to motivate the people you may know or not know need motivation. Personally, I am not cut out to do this.

Requiring shooting training and gun maintenance on top of that is absurd, especially at the abysmal pay we are already providing teachers. There is a teacher crisis coming if we aren't already seeing it, and a logistical nightmare like this would only make it come much sooner and come down many times harder.

PhanaticD

Verified Member
a big problem you might not think about is when a swat team gets there and sees an adult with a gun they might mis-judge the situation and shoot the teacher

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Perhaps there could be guns place in classrooms, but in display cases that you must break in emergency cases only and that set the alarm off for the security personal swoop in.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
a big problem you might not think about is when a swat team gets there and sees an adult with a gun they might mis-judge the situation and shoot the teacher
Well perhaps they shouldn't right away? I mean at least give them warning to "put/drop your gun down / hold your hands way up in the air! " and a chance for the teacher to take a moment to breath in and snap back from the panicked threat.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Oh yea let’s give students the opportunity to steal the guns lol
Well they would have to be really dumb to have the guts of stealing one, by not following common sense, because as I said: the alarm will go off and before you know it: security swoops in and stop them from proceeding to do any harmful action while they're armed (and in real shooter event, they will act as backup and take over from there). At the very least, installed god damn C.I.V cameras that monotes who goes near these display cases and be on the lookout when somebody attempts to take that gun.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
The number of school shootings in America alone goes to show how dumb teens are (and some not even teens). And no security is going to be so available they’ll be able to swoop in at any given moment. The police are basically that and even they aren’t THAT available. The fear of being caught, being killed, or being seen has never stopped a shooting before.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Well, it's better than nothing, asides from banning the guns. Would you rather have to wait for unavailable security to be late while lifes are at the sake of another shooter or take the issue into your own hands (quite literally with the provided weapon)? I do believe SOME students will be on the lookout and report the authorities of school If they notice something suspicious happening with the potential shooters.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Well, it's better than nothing, asides from banning the guns. Would you rather have to wait for unavailable security to be late while lifes are at the sake of another shooter or take the issue into your own hands (quite literally with the provided weapon)? I do believe SOME students will be on the lookout and report the authorities of school If they notice something suspicious happening with the potential shooters.
I just feel having a case with a gun in it that’s available in the event of an emergency must also be available to students on a day to day basis which is dangerous. So I don’t believe that’s the most effective or helpful solution

OGCole

Yes xNuminousx! Every responsible person has the right to bear arms, It is our 2nd amendment right. I think if teachers want to they should always have their gun on them or hidden somewhere no one would ever find it accidently and hurt someone. However, teachers who want to have a gun in case of a life or death emergency should have to have a concealed carry permit so they don't accidently hurt the wrong person. After all, everyone should be and is allowed to defend themselves in life or death situations. By the way, some of the comments above make good points, but some of the comments above are just liberals who think guns shoot themselves so don't listen to them. Always remember, people kill people and guns don't shoot themselves.

Last edited:

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Everyone has the right to bear arms
I wouldn't say "everyone" as idk how many other countries other than America allow guns like we do. But much of the issue with teachers having guns lies in adding to their danger.

What happens if a group of students decide to disable a teacher and take that weapon?
What happens when a manipulative teacher starts using that weapon as a threat against students?
What happens when the police enter a school in the event of a shooting to disable the shooter and see a teacher with a gun?

There are so many terrible situations that can stem from allowing them to have guns. Personally, the pros outweigh the cons in this situation. I'm more on the side of having security bodies patrolling school and a daily basis. My school has a designated police officer for 3 compuses.