• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Should PK recruit more DEVS?

Should PK recruit more DEVS?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
I'm not gonna dwell into this topic and write an essay on what I think about this subject, because I'm afraid this would again lead me to an hostile discussion due to my "complaint", but I'm just leaving out this pole for curious reason to know what many people think about it. I probably won't contribute to this thread, unless I find it necessary to respond to something. Hopefully I won't have to.

If you vote for yes, do you think this will help out and surpress the problem of "deadlines", thus resulting in builds being released sooner since many more new hired devs will be working on it while other inactives are doing their busy life things. If you voted for no, do you think PK is doing well at its current state with the amount of devs it has that are working on it?

NickC1211

Verified Member
I'm not gonna dwell into this topic and write an essay on what I think about this subject, because I'm afraid this would again lead me to an hostile discussion due to my "complaint", but I'm just leaving out this pole for curious reason to know what many people think about it. I probably won't contribute to this thread, unless I find it necessary to respond to something. Hopefully I won't have to.

If you vote for yes, do you think this will help out and surpress the problem of "deadlines", thus resulting in builds being released sooner since many more new hired devs will be working on it while other inactives are doing their busy life things. If you voted for no, do you think PK is doing well at its current state with the amount of devs it has that are working on it?
I feel like the more devs you have the easier it is to divide up the work and say this person does this and that person does that.

Madocean

Verified Member
I feel like the more devs you have the easier it is to divide up the work and say this person does this and that person does that.
More devs adds to a lack of consistency actually, every dev codes differently I can guarantee this. The more people working on different parts of the plugin. The more different parts of the plugin there will be, there will be more people to manage and more mistakes to correct by extension. However the opposite can be said almost as easily. Problem is, there aren't a TON of minecraft (java in general) devs, much less people who'd be interested in something like this.

StrangeOne101

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Can you define the word "recruit"? Dev applications have always been open and a dev applicatoon was recently accepted as well. So it's not like apps are closed or anything. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OmniCypher

Staff member
Lead Developer
Administrator
Plugin Developer
Can you define the word "recruit"? Dev applications have always been open and a dev applicatoon was recently accepted as well. So it's not like apps are closed or anything. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
@StrangeOne101 is correct, we never stopped accepting developer applications. We just haven't received that many in the past 6-8 months. If my memory serves me correctly, we only had three in the past six months, only one of which resulted in a hiring.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
@StrangeOne101 is correct, we never stopped accepting developer applications. We just haven't received that many in the past 6-8 months. If my memory serves me correctly, we only had three in the past six months, only one of which resulted in a hiring.
Oh, I see. Ever thinking of somehow encouraging more to end deadlines? :p

xNuminousx

Verified Member
I interpret "should they recruit more devs" as in making it more publicly aware. Yea there's the website, but how are you gonna reach the people who could help that don't even use the plugin? There are probably people out there who don't even know what bending is but could still follow the Concept and develop. I believe the point was whether you should go out and search for them or continue waiting for them to come to you. Offer opportunity rather than wait for it.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Offer opportunity rather than wait for it.
Yeah, I agree. The Question: had they annouce that have those opens? I don't see point in reminded that they can't join unless they aren't aware of it. If they aren't, I think the lead/leader staff member should annouce formally, aka. via annoucement thread post.

Loony

Verified Member
I interpret "should they recruit more devs" as in making it more publicly aware. Yea there's the website, but how are you gonna reach the people who could help that don't even use the plugin? There are probably people out there who don't even know what bending is but could still follow the Concept and develop. I believe the point was whether you should go out and search for them or continue waiting for them to come to you. Offer opportunity rather than wait for it.
Oh yeah, you know now that you mention it there is a line of 40 people who are hyped for joining a development project they've never heard of before and pour their free time into it for no pay whatsoever and little gratitude! x3

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Well, that can actually happen. Like some join to put their developing skills to use, or to improve them from there onward If they think volunttering there there may help, or are just bored and have nothing to do and/or they got tired of making plugins by themselves (maybe just ran out of ideas) :3

Išsiųsta naudojantis SM-G313HN Tapatalk 4 Lt

StrangeOne101

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Well, that can actually happen. Like some join to put their developing skills to use, or to improve them from there onward If they think volunttering there there may help, or are just bored and have nothing to do and/or they got tired of making plugins by themselves (maybe just ran out of ideas) :3

Išsiųsta naudojantis SM-G313HN Tapatalk 4 Lt
I hate to be negative but the issue with this is they have to have someone else constantly helping them. Which is alright, but we don't nessasarially want to hire developers who need to be taught how to do even just the little things.

Just putting that out there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Or right, forgot that the plugin uses depented API thing and what not. Though, don't you provide a template/table of some sorts for the new devs to utilize on hand when creating stuff? For bukkit related questions, they could always ask in other areas such as the spigot forum coding section.

Lol, you aren't being negative.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Oh yeah, you know now that you mention it there is a line of 40 people who are hyped for joining a development project they've never heard of before and pour their free time into it for no pay whatsoever and little gratitude! x3
Glad to see the creativeness is being spent on sarcastic catch phrases.... it was wishful thinking.

OmniCypher

Staff member
Lead Developer
Administrator
Plugin Developer
Or right, forgot that the plugin uses depented API thing and what not. Though, don't you provide a template/table of some sorts for the new devs to utilize on hand when creating stuff? For bukkit related questions, they could always ask in other areas such as the spigot forum coding section.

Lol, you aren't being negative.
Everyone has access to everything, the resources the community have access to are the ones staff would use as well. http://projectkorra.com/threads/development-resources.6204/
However, as @StrangeOne101 said, we can't divert all our attention to teaching someone the bare basics. We need our applicants to have at least a general understanding of the Spigot API's and Java. This is a spigot plugin, being hired while not knowing the basics of how to utilize the API's is like getting hired as a bus driver when you don't know how to drive. It can become a big liability, this is why I have basic requirements I test you for when people apply.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
However, as @StrangeOne101 said, we can't divert all our attention to teaching someone the bare basics. We need our applicants to have at least a general understanding of the Spigot API's and Java. This is a spigot plugin, being hired while not knowing the basics of how to utilize the API's is like getting hired as a bus driver when you don't know how to drive. It can become a big liability, this is why I have basic requirements I test you for when people apply.
Well of course. Those Devs should meet the standards to be above the novice/basic whiz level developers before to expect and for their application to be accepted at all by the odds. All I'm just saying If they do get apply and met the required protocol's requirements, I think they're indepented enough to find and find the solution for not understanding the "little things" like how StrangeOne putted it, because first of all - google exists (and they should use to find workarounds/solutions for basic stuff). Of course, If they find any trouble that is somehow related with PK exclusive (one thing comes into my mind - the "API" it uses), then of course they will/can ask an helping hand from you guys when you're available, but I don't think this will be happen and be the problem too often where they have to rely on your help too much on an overexaggrated time line ....

Overall, this is just my observation and subjective standpoint, from what I understand how things go with dev devolepment goes and team collaboration and stuff and ect.

Last edited: