• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Seko's water idea emporium (combos, combinations, new moves)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sekoshiba

Verified Member
I apologise in advance for the most colourful post on the forum.

Section 1 - Technique combinations/changes/additions

Prior to Beta 11 water-benders had a total of 9 skills, Entirely filling the hot-bar.

- Water-manipulation
- Surge
- Torrent
- Ice-spike
- Octopus-form
- Phase-change
- Healing-waters
- Water-spout
- Water-bubble

With the release of Beta 11 we were given two new skills:

- Ice-blast
- Water-wave

This gives water-benders 11 skills and only 9 hot-bar slots, So I propose that some skills are merged to save space. I've ordered the current skills and colour-coded them:

Water-manipulation: "shift > click" but no "click > shift"
Torrent: "click > shift" but no "shift > click"

Water-wave: "click > shift" but no "shift > click"
Water-spout: "Click" and "space/shift" to ascend or descend

Surge: "shift > click" , "click > shift", and "click > shift > click"
Phase-change: "shift" and "click"

Ice-spike: "shift > click" and "shift upwards" but no "click > shift"
Ice-blast: "shift > click" but no "click > shift"
Octopus-form: "click > shift", and "click > shift > click" but no "shift > click"

Healing-waters: "Passive" and "Shift" but no "click"
Water-bubble: "Passive" but no "click > shift" or "shift > click"

1. light blue and green are skills that I feel should be merged because they are similar in use and also have gaps in how they are used that would allow them to be combined. For example:

Water-manipulation and Torrent are both offensive skills; Water-manipulation uses "shift > click" and torrent uses "click > shift"/"click > shift > click". Considering a skilled water-bender can alternate between these skills anyway, it just serves as as a way to save space.

Water-wave and water-spout are both mobility/utility skills; Water-wave uses "click > shift" and water-spout uses "click". I'd like to suggest that much like the Ice-spike "shift" that waterspout only triggers when not looking at a water source. This synergy would allow a water-bender to easily water-wave upwards into a water-spout much like is seen in the show. (currently you ebb slowly upwards into the spout)

2. Red text shows skills that are already at maximum capacity for inputs, these being Surge and Phase-change.

3. Pink text shows skills that could receive alternate inputs.

Ice-spike: "Click > shift" addition- I believe this space should be used for the much talked about "Ice creeper"/"Ice line" (Used by Katara to freeze jet). I believe that it should freeze the target in a 1x1x2 and cause them more significant slowness than the Ice-spike projectile. It should have a limited range for balance. If used at your own feet should cause you to remain anchored in place.

Ice-blast: "click > shift" addition- In keeping with the "Snow" theme of this move, as well as its ice utility, I feel that it should create a sort of snow pillar that slams into the ground after a moment (Katara uses this against Zuko in the Northern Water-tribe episodes). It should have short range, a long cooldown, and only be useable over ice.

Octopus-form: "shift > click" addition- This was difficult to come up with, and I'm not sure I'm satisfied with what I came up with. Essentially the projectile of octopus-form would be water rings that travel fast, are fairly spammable, but cannot be redirected and require a water source for each shot...meaning that rivers and oceans are the only viable place to use this. (Katara uses this against Yu of the foggy-swamp tribe)

4. Purple text shows skills that I believe should receive significant changes, these are by far the most controversial ideas.

Healing-waters: I believe this should no longer be passive when selected, instead becoming a "click > shift" move where you select a source, shift, and a blob of water appears infront of you, allowing you to heal players. If you have a full bottle in your inventory then simply pressing "shift" should activate this move without the need to select a source. In water holding "shift" would heal you as normal.

Water-bubble: I know I sound like a broken record, but I feel this should really toggle. Moving over a slot and instantly breaking sugarcane, lillies, or disrupting teammates isn't fun. I propose that a "click" toggles on water-bubble and that "shift" is used for the heavily requested "condensation" skill that allows you to fill water-bottles. Filling a water bottle should take a decent amount of time and have a moderate cool-down. Water-benders have a bazillion sources already, but as long as this has a heavy cool-down and "shift" time I believe it will be okay.

Section 2 - Combos

Bending is fun as it is, but variety is the spice of life. I feel that combos would add a new dynamic where spending time building up into a stronger move via a precise combo would become more viable than simple noob-spam. Combos would be pretty awesome, one might say... "Razamataz".

Some combos:

2-part:

Ice-blades: Octopus-form and whilst holding "shift", switch to Ice-spike and begin to "click".
effect: Moderate time to get ready, but allows fast firing of ~5 fast, fire-and-forget, and low damaging projectiles.

Barrage: Surge shield and whilst holding "shift", switch to water-manipulation and begin to "click".
effect: Moderate time to get ready, allows firing of ~3 slow, low-moderate damage, fire-and-forget type projectiles.

Ice-board: Water-wave and whilst holding "shift", switch to phase-change and "click".
effect: Causes you to surf along the top of water on a small ice platform at high speed until releasing shift.

Octopus-whip: Octopus-form and whilst holding "shift", switch to Torrent and "click".
effect: Octopus-form begins to use a much slower attack with a slight range boost via a water-tentacle.

triple ice: Torrent and whilst holding "shift", switch to ice-spike and begin to "click".
effect: Fire ~3 ice-spikes that inflict slowness.

dodge: Torrent/octopus-form whilst holding "shift", switch to water-wave and begin to "click".
effect: Torrent/octopus-form ends but water-wave occurs immediately.

3-part:

Ice javelin: Octopus-form "click", then switch to torrent and hold "shift", then select Ice-blast and "click".
effect: Fire one large, slow, moderate damage projectile.

Frozen torrent: Torrent "click", then switch to octopus-form and hold "shift", then select Ice-spike and "click".
effect: Fires a bulky ice-ball causing a line of temporary ice to appear as it passes, does moderate damage and freezes if it hits.

Water-bomb: Torrent "click", then switch to octopus-form and hold "shift", then select surge and "click".
effect: Fire a large water orb, causing moderate damage if it hits and causing a short-lasting flood around the first block that it hits.

Conclusion:

By merging moves you can drop the 11 current moves to only 9, the changes I propose add a total of 5 new features to the existing moves.

The addition of combos would also allow many more features to be introduced, I suggested 7 but the community is talented and there are probably many more combinations that could be used.

Combos are the bees pyjamas.

Thanks for reading!

X_Eco

Verified Member
Can you explain the keys combo a bit better my mind has been blown of like pi li.Like it though.

Sekoshiba

Verified Member
Can you explain the keys combo a bit better my mind has been blown of like pi li.Like it though.
Every time I say "click" I mean left-click with your mouse and when I say "shift" I mean pressing shift on the keyboard. I specify the moves pretty well, I think, it's just using the keys with the moves specified.

Edit: Seeing Coolade look at this thread makes me a little giddy.

Last edited:

TheSacredWarrior

Verified Member
I understand the combining of moves. I don't think its a necessity though, but if it was put it I wouldnt mind. Glad to see ideas for watercombos are forming!

X_Eco

Verified Member
Ok I get it now but when you switch to another slot can u still hold shift and wait a while before using the combo?

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
eh, I'm fine with the current abilities. plenty of other elements have more than 9. Besides, what would each ability be called if merged? some are too different to use one another's names.

Gahshunk

Verified Member
The whole "not enough hot bar slots" doesn't really bother me. I don't think anyone really uses them all.

TheOneAndOnlyApple

Verified Member
I love the water combination ideas but I have to agree with the others, with new moves in production and others that will be made in the future, combining them all into nine slots will be a hassle for the developers. It could also bring many bugs and conflicts, along with move names and descriptions.
I love the ideas and thought put into this post however, I hope to see more like it! Great job, and nice suggestions on water combinations!

~Apple<3

TheSacredWarrior

Verified Member
I noticed a problem with octopus- whip; you have it so that you hold crouch with octo, then click with torrent so that it makes the octopusform have another function, but when you switch slots the octopusform will disappears. I recommend having it so that you click once or twice with torrent, and then activate octopusform, so that it works out smoothly.

David

Verified Member
I like the idea of combining water manipulation and surge, but that's the only combination that I like. I like the idea of having water combos like Barrage and the Octopus + Ice Spikes. I feel though, a lot of these combos are unnecessary and/or ridiculous, and that only few of these combos should be selected.

runefist

Verified Member
"Ice-spike: "shift > click" and "shift upwards" but no "click > shift" "

As far as I know you can left click ice to make it go up, so 1 pillar, right???

Sekoshiba

Verified Member
As I said, I expected lots of issues to be found. Community of talented peeps will always outmatch one dude splurging ideas!

owlcool

Verified Member
I honestly think that this needs to be done for all the elements. Although the change will need some getting used to, it will be a good change in the long run.

Migsel

Verified Member
I actually think having 2 more moves that won't fit into your hotbar slots is generally fine and if there ever comes a lot of extra moves then I feel as if people would be allowed to have variations in their fighting styles by choosing what moves they would have bound and such. Good ideas though!

cookiem42

Verified Member
I think this is a good idea, because in the show the benders didn't have this problem. If they wanted to they could easily do all these moves, without having to stop to change. It would be tough to get used to, but I think the other elements could use this as well. I'm already thinking of how earth could do the same.

AlexTheCoder

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I think this is a good idea, because in the show the benders didn't have this problem. If they wanted to they could easily do all these moves, without having to stop to change. It would be tough to get used to, but I think the other elements could use this as well. I'm already thinking of how earth could do the same.
Each move is a different technique. Plus of which, there's no telling how many moves we might make. They simply won't all fit on 9 slots.

cookiem42

Verified Member
Each move is a different technique. Plus of which, there's no telling how many moves we might make. They simply won't all fit on 9 slots.
Yes, but the moves he/she combined makes sense. If it is possible to to I think they should. It would make better combos, more abilities to be used, and if the plugin had like 30 water moves, that could be shrunk to maybe 20. That would make variety of moves, but still allows the bender to be able to manipulate water in a more vase scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.