• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Suggestion Returning To The Plugin's Roots - A Reasonable Complaint

Are these ideas reasonable?

• Yes

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Both

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

Vahagn

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
As a concept designer, programmer, and a player of this plugin, I can only agree with half of your points. I agree that the fact that all abilities aren't listed by /bending display [element] is something that needs to be changed and I also agree with the fact that we should reduce the reliance on custom abilities by improving Core, but when it comes to your suggestions, I disagree completely. I

Balancing the number of moves per element doesn't change anything, and the only reason it worked for Orion's plugin was that a lot of the moves were pretty much just variations of each other, countering each other and preventing any one side from having an advantage, and I fundamentally disagree with this. Each element should have their advantages, and disadvantages, they should not be direct copies of each other but with different appearances. For example, Earthbenders should be able to pierce most abilities with their attacks, but they shouldn't be able to bend certain moves without being on the ground (ie, charging shockwave in the air, then releasing it the instant you landed). (this is a bad example, but you get my point). Equal amounts of moves won't do anything, one needs to make moves that interact with each other well, regardless of the imbalance.

WaterBubble currently has the the additional option of being activated by left clicking, which allows it to be used without sneaking.

I'm not going to deny or put this as looking into, but I am marking this down for future reference.

Gahshunk

Verified Member
As a concept designer, programmer, and a player of this plugin, I can only agree with half of your points. I agree that the fact that all abilities aren't listed by /bending display [element] is something that needs to be changed and I also agree with the fact that we should reduce the reliance on custom abilities by improving Core, but when it comes to your suggestions, I disagree completely. I

Balancing the number of moves per element doesn't change anything, and the only reason it worked for Orion's plugin was that a lot of the moves were pretty much just variations of each other, countering each other and preventing any one side from having an advantage, and I fundamentally disagree with this. Each element should have their advantages, and disadvantages, they should not be direct copies of each other but with different appearances. For example, Earthbenders should be able to pierce most abilities with their attacks, but they shouldn't be able to bend certain moves without being on the ground (ie, charging shockwave in the air, then releasing it the instant you landed). (this is a bad example, but you get my point). Equal amounts of moves won't do anything, one needs to make moves that interact with each other well, regardless of the imbalance.

WaterBubble currently has the the additional option of being activated by left clicking, which allows it to be used without sneaking.

I'm not going to deny or put this as looking into, but I am marking this down for future reference.

I guess I haven't quite thought about it that way. Personally, I think the air charge refers to an earthbender coming down and creating a shockwave on landing because of the sheer amount of momentum put into that move, but I understand why you might feel differently. Can't even remember if that's canon. Well, I guess I'm just down to the /bending display command. And even though we may not need an equal amount of moves, I do feel that, at least, they should hover near the same number of moves. Not sure how you feel about that one.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
FallThreeHold on Shockwave is probably based on when Aang earthbend when trying to infiltrate a royal palace of the earth king. He did upon jumping from Appa. Though abilities do hover near the same number. Don't know why you think that it's not.

and the only reason it worked for Orion's plugin was that a lot of the moves were pretty much just variations of each other, countering each other and preventing any one side from having an advantage, and I fundamentally disagree with this.
And 'a lot' you're aware If was only 4. And it still that hasn't change much from what we're given with PK, so not sure why you're bringing that old'e back relevant to the topic.

Last edited:

Vahagn

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
And 'a lot' you're aware If was only 4. And it still that hasn't change much from what we're given with PK, so not sure why you're bringing that old'e back relevant to the topic.
Okay so first off, I brought it up because the OP, in their original post, states that
Orion had developed a plugin that had very balanced elements, with a total of nine abilities for each element (save for bloodbending). What we have now is mildly messy, unbalanced, and somewhat out of touch with what some of us loved about it.
He directly integrates this into one of his statements which I tried to refute in my own rebuttal, which is why I mentioned it.

Lastly, icebending... Why. Why would you declare it a subskill just because it changed phases. No, this is not like changing the state of matter of earth to lava. It's literally half of the entire waterbending set that every waterbender knows. We can't simply use the one command, we begrudgingly have to use extra commands to see the entire set of moves.
@Gahshunk, the sub elements do not exist because we wanted to divide up the abilities based on type. They exist for us to give players permissions without modifying the server permissions file, they also make it easier for server owners to give access to an entire sub element, rather than just giving each move individually.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
@Gahshunk, the sub elements do not exist because we wanted to divide up the abilities based on type. They exist for us to give players permissions without modifying the server permissions file, they also make it easier for server owners to give access to an entire sub element, rather than just giving each move individually.
Called it! :rolleyes::D

Loony

Verified Member
Project Korra has come a long, long way since its beginnings as the original bending plugin. Many of the changes, however, seem to have been due to over-enthusiastic endeavors added to the plugin without much thought of the bigger picture. Orion had developed a plugin that had very balanced elements, with a total of nine abilities for each element (save for bloodbending). What we have now is mildly messy, unbalanced, and somewhat out of touch with what some of us loved about it.

Suggestion
Over the course of this post, my main concerns will be explained, but simply put, I feel some of the PK changes and additions are a little unwarranted, or out of touch with how the plugin can function as a standalone.

Key Points
-Less commands to see every move using /bending display
-Balance number of abilities per element
-Return maybe a couple of abilities to some of their former glory, or create a working solution (as in WaterBubble)
-Reduce reliance on custom abilities

Explanation - The part where I complain a bit
I commend developers that improved existing abilities. HealingWaters, for example, cures status effects, making it handy for all manner of afflictions. Opposite of that, moves like WaterBubble/AirBubble were rendered less useful by adding a mandatory sneak hold, substantially reducing mobility because of a developer who adamantly declared his opinion of what the ability should be superior (no, I don't want to use it for espionage, I want to build underwater while moving in whatever direction I want, but props to animating the bubble forming).

One could argue that abilities could be disabled, or that custom abilities can be used in place of current ones even, especially to fill that weird balancing. I have little argument for that. That's completely right, and I'm just being weird when I say that a lot of the completeness feels gone when I can't use a reliable and complete base plugin without additional plugins and add-ons.

Lastly, icebending... Why. Why would you declare it a subskill just because it changed phases. No, this is not like changing the state of matter of earth to lava. It's literally half of the entire waterbending set that every waterbender knows. We can't simply use the one command, we begrudgingly have to use extra commands to see the entire set of moves.

Conclusion
Change is great, but reducing the complexity would make it a lot more user-friendly... I could be very wrong, but this plugin has taken a turn into a place I find a bit strange and unnecessary.
Hey,
I want to first point out by saying that just because elements have the same number of abilities does NOT mean it's balanced. If Firebending has all damage moves, and Airbending has one, how is that balanced for bending PvP? It isn't. On top of that, the number of abilities in the plugin is irrelevant at this point, with the number of servers who use addons.

Secondly, Icebending being a "sub-element" means nothing whatsoever. It's for categorisation. I agree, it should've never been a sub-element to begin with, but changing it would require a lot of work from PK developers to addon developers for no reason whatsoever.

Your post began sounding like you were going to go over the major changes we've made.. But these are minor things..