• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Suggestion Programming Forum Area

dookoo782

Verified Member
I think it's necessary that we have a programming forum area for the programmers of the community to share their knowledge and even help out the ones that want to learn to code.

"The coders of today are the wizards of the future." -Gabe Newell.

Ron

Verified Member
Also maybe a specific area for suggesting addons?
I would suggest not to, (I prefer keeping the current suggetion section), since as a developer who has brain-creativity of a brick I would jump straight into the suggestions section (800+ dicussions already), even staff on PK recommends that, since suggesting is one thing, but visualizing it is another. To you I am probably talking bullshit right now but let's connect the dots. Developers need the current suggestions section to implement their ideas, accepting new abilities into the plugin is hard since they have no way to visualize it but actually making it and wasting precious time. They give us (the community developers/staff developers who are making addons), to fetch suggestion, implement and visualize them so it will be easier to add them to the actual plugin. e.g. WaterArms, It was suggested thousands of times, never got to be implemented until the fire nation attacked, joking, joking, until Jed made it, PK Team liked it and added it straight away. So next time if a developer implemented your suggestion it actually have a higher chance to enter the plugin.

I am talking about Addon Suggestions, not changes to current abilities and such.

SenpaiBlaze

Verified Member
This is a good idea, although I dont see too much use in it. There are little amounts of developers around ProjectKorra and most threads there would more than likely confuse new-time java programmers. There are tons of other programming forums out there (even planetminecraft might work!) and im sure there are some good tutorials out there, such as Omni's particle tutorial or Jed's ability tutorial.

Ron

Verified Member
This is a good idea, although I dont see too much use in it. There are little amounts of developers around ProjectKorra and most threads there would more than likely confuse new-time java programmers. There are tons of other programming forums out there (even planetminecraft might work!) and im sure there are some good tutorials out there, such as Omni's particle tutorial or Jed's ability tutorial.
Jed's tutorial is outdated due to Beta 13.

Jackson

Staff member
Digital Team
Verified Member
I like this idea and I am one myself who asked jedk1 and Finn to teach me/help me learn in some way. The forums is a great opportunity for others to know what they want to do in college as a lot of people still don't know. I say we should! You have my full support!

Ron

Verified Member
It isnt too hard to convert over.. they just changed Methods to GeneralMethods, WaterMethods, etc.
And the progress method, the way addon's class should extend, added 3 new really important methods. compiled all core abilities into StockAbilities, made them more accesible added setters and getters for other abilities.

SenpaiBlaze

Verified Member
And the progress method, the way addon's class should extend, added 3 new really important methods. compiled all core abilities into StockAbilities, made them more accesible added setters and getters for other abilities.
But like I said, it isnt too hard to convert over.

SenpaiBlaze

Verified Member
Jed's tutorial wasn't meant just for advanced coders that can learn it in 5 minutes, It is meant for fresh coders too. He said himself he will have to re-do the video.
Then why add a programming section aimed to teach new programmers when he is redoing it?

Ron

Verified Member
Then why add a programming section aimed to teach new programmers when he is redoing it?
It is not aimed just to teach fresh new programmers, it is aimed to share knowledge with everyone. One developer may be good at string formatting and the other at physics and math, teaching simple ways like calculating a vector between one location to the other or formatting commands pages are really useful, so sharing knowledge doesn't hurt anyone.

Jed's tutorial is mostly to visualize the process for those who want to see a living example.