• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied Porting to Minetest

Status
Not open for further replies.

pietrko

Hi,

do you guys ever considering moving the mod to Minetest platform?
Basically its open-source version of minecraft - it has clean modding API and active community.
The modding langague is Lua.

And it is simply soo much easier to mod than minecraft.
All the things currently impossible for you like adding new mobs is perfectly doable in minetest.
People recreated most of the content you can see in regular mincraft.

One more thing is you can make commercial game using minetest.

Regards,
Peter

Last edited:

pietrko

What is minetest?
You serious?
Well I put link to the project in first post.

Minetest is most mature, stable and playable open source sandbox voxel game out there.
I should rather say a framework for voxel game - beacuse it's aimed to be a base for games not only a game.

You serious?
Well I put link to the project in first post.

Minetest is most mature, stable and playable open source sandbox voxel game out there.
I should rather say a framework for voxel game - beacuse it's aimed to be a base for games not only a game.
Judging by the image at the top of the page, it's just Minecraft with a resource pack.

pietrko

Judging by the image at the top of the page, it's just Minecraft with a resource pack.
:D
Yes! brilliant observation - it looks like minecraft with resource pack.
The topic was targeted at devs with programming knowledge, sorry to disappoint you with lack of flashy, cool images.

:D
Yes! brilliant observation - it looks like minecraft with resource pack.
The topic was targeted at devs with programming knowledge, sorry to disappoint you with lack of flashy, cool images.
Java:
if (reply.getUser().hasProgrammingKnowledge()) {
    System.out.println("This user has programming knowledge" + (reply.getUser().getKnownLanguages().contains(Language.Java) ? " and also has Java knowledge" : " but does not have Java knowledge"));
} else {
    System.out.println("This user doesn't have any programming knowledge");
}
I have a few questions about your suggestion. Is there a base game to mod, or would the devs have to start from scratch? From your post I'd say there is a base but I can't say for sure as some parts confuse me.
Would this be a completely new game, or just a mod? You're saying you can make commercial games with Minetest which leads me to think you ,mean it allows the dev team to create a new game dedicated to the concept of this plugin.

The problem is the language is Lua, not Java. The devs in this team know Java (and some may know more languages, but I know some of them definitely don't know Lua). This means they would either have to learn Lua or new devs have to be recruited. If they'd all learn Lua, it could take a year or two to be fluently enough to write a good solid mob. Recruiting new devs would also take a lot of time, since Lua devs won't come to this place since it's all Java. I hope I got my point across.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I like the creativity and I had no idea about the existence of Minetest, but I think it'd be too much work for what it is.

Matt

I can't see this happening personally, We already seem to be a bit behind on development considering we've just updated to 1.10 recently, and this would further push us back.

There is also the fact that this isn't Minecraft

Last edited:

Vahagn

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Hi,

do you guys ever considering moving the mod to Minetest platform?
Basically its open-source version of minecraft - it has clean modding API and active community.
The modding langague is Lua.

And it is simply soo much easier to mod than minecraft.
All the things currently impossible for you like adding new mobs is perfectly doable in minetest.
People recreated most of the content you can see in regular mincraft.

One more thing is you can make commercial game using minetest.

Regards,
Peter
Project Korra isn't a mod, its a plugin which uses completely vanilla features do to cool things. There is absolutely no modification of the client involved with PK.

pietrko

Project Korra isn't a mod, its a plugin which uses completely vanilla features do to cool things. There is absolutely no modification of the client involved with PK.
I am aware of that, still you're limited by the client.
Minetest client is as moddable as server.

Jackson

Staff member
Digital Team
Just reading the comments, I have high doubts this will happen. "The modding language is Lua." We code Java here and make PLUGINS not MODS. If we were to make this a mod, it would make it so much harder for players to play with it on servers as cauldron isn't on 1.9.2 yet. You would also need the exact version of the client and the exact Minecraft version. All of those have to be equal to the server which when I mod I always have trouble with and so do many other people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just reading the comments, I have high doubts this will happen. "The modding language is Lua." We code Java here and make PLUGINS not MODS. If we were to make this a mod, it would make it so much harder for players to play with it on servers as cauldron isn't on 1.9.2 yet. You would also need the exact version of the client and the exact Minecraft version. All of those have to be equal to the server which when I mod I always have trouble with and so do many other people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This isn't about minecraft, but about 'Minetest'.

Loony

A PK mod has been wanted for a long time and I think it's possible for us to accomplish. However, I think it will happen sooner rather than later due to us having to branch out into a completely different platform. I think that we should look into this when we have a stable core version of bending with all of our planned changes and are happy with the plugin :)

Marked as approved.

A PK mod has been wanted for a long time and I think it's possible for us to accomplish. However, I think it will happen sooner rather than later due to us having to branch out into a completely different platform. I think that we should look into this when we have a stable core version of bending with all of our planned changes and are happy with the plugin :)

Marked as approved.
I'ma say it again, you also realize this suggestion is not for a Minecraft mod, but for a 'Minetest' mod?

NOPE. I thought that this was for Minecraft modding >.< apologies.

Suggestion marked back as pending review.
The main problem I see with this idea is the fact it's not programmed in Java and the staff would have to build a whole new community around a whole new project.

Mist

Staff member
Administrator
While Minetest looks promising, I'm going to step in and address a few things:

(1) The staff is generally not permitted to speak on behalf of the project. While no one did in this thread, something like expanding the project like so would most certainly require an administrator's approval.

(2) Minetest still appears to be fairly new with a growing community. Minecraft has been around for a while and also has a growing community. We'll stick with Minecraft for now.

(3) I am denying this suggestion for now because we simply do not need to port just yet. We have other priorities that will take precedence well before porting to any other game.

(4) Minetest is still uncertain. As with any new game, we can't always guarantee stability or even that it'll be around in a year's time. It would be silly to port quite yet.

(5) Developers would need to pick up a new language. While that wouldn't be reason not to port, it certainly doesn't make doing so any more compelling.

(6) Our resources are already stretched thin. We strive to provide quality content pretty frequently. That requires our developers to be working on what needs to go out. We simply don't have a team large enough to support a whole new project like that.

Thank you for the suggestion, but for now I'll mark it as denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.