• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied OctopusForm (Dope Suggestion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering OctopusForm freezes water, why not let it freeze people?

When it's tentacle touch h2o, it turns it into ice. When it's tentacle touch people, it should then freeze them owhile it swarms from above then down, like a shower.

Q:How is this different from torrent's and surge's freeze? How all of three are different?

A: Surge freezes mobs/players, torrent freezes everything (should be nerfed: that's for another story), but this tweaked octopusforms will freeze anyone in close combat. Thought this feature should be implanted after octopusform no longer will be able to slay anyone from ice (was discussed and a concept developer agreed on).

While it freezes anyone and water it its fake, the obvious weakness is that it can be used in close combat. While nobody likes the ability itself due to small range, but I believe the current suggestions out for it could improve the OctopusForm (such as Loony's), while this suggestion just adds onto thus ability a bit. Nothing major, but nor minor much.

Misc
I didn't feel like making a new thread for this, because it is just a minor detail that could be added...

Since it freezes water, it might as well freeze the water inside plants, which in return will lead to its destruction. For example, If you're walking a grass-y field, the octopusform around you will destroy the plants, as for representation of freezing the water in them (animation of switching to ice block in a second?) and afterwards shattering the solidified form.

Last edited:

xNuminousx

I don't like the idea of Octopus Form freezing the water beneath it or it freezing things around it. Although probably possibly for master benders, I don't it's really fit to be with Octopus form. I would agree with a bender to be able to somehow use Octopus Form to shoot ice bullets out or detach one of the tentacles and shoot out an ice spear. But that's really as far as I'd go with ice and Octopus Form.

Regarding bending ability functionally, nobody is a "master" or "novice". All abilities should and can be applied to all benders, regardless on who and when it was demonstrated on the show. I can argue to you back that Octopusform itself is a master ability, because only by profession waterbenders it was executed: Katara, Aang (Katara's pupil + Pakkus,), Ming-huas. Same goes for WaterBubble.
That's my two cents about above.

Ice Bullet Combo already covers what you proposed. Though, I would like it more that torrent could shoot icy bullets rather octopusform, because it would an iconic reference to the show. Detaching tentacles and freezing people that way: it would leave waterarms spear and torrent vain. Actually, if we look at the current Octopusform, it's the other way around: octy is slow and would be vain in comparison to torrent's freeze.

xNuminousx

nobody is a "master" or "novice". All abilities should and can be applied to all benders, regardless on who and when it was demonstrated on the show.
This is really dependent on the server.
because only by profession waterbenders it was executed: Katara, Aang (Katara's pupil + Pakkus,), Ming-huas.
I don't think this really means that it was a difficult technique. All of these characters were connected in some way, other than Ming-Hua but even then she could have looked up to Katara and learned it from idoling her. Octopus Form is a very aesthetically unique move which could mean Katara created it. Unless of course it was used by someone before her time.

The move its self really shouldn't turn water to ice, it doesn't in the show and it doesn't make sense to just effortlessly turn something to ice just because it exists. Even with torrent and surge there's a motion. Why give it a freezing AoE? It just doesn't make sense for that move to have a passive freezing action, it's unnecessary.

"It doesn't in the show" All it did in the show was deflect icespikes and that's... it. If that were an exact recreation in the plugin, people would BARELY use it. It doesn't matter whenever something was in the show or not. The Usage and Quality of a thing is what important. Not an exact representation from the show. Otherwise, it wouldn't be that op as we have it set up right now.

Well, the 'freezing tool' isn't that far fetch: you freeze things holding sneak. Sneak = Focus. Sneak also promts the player to go in a 'stance' - bemding your knees; leaning forward (and pretending that the user keeps their hands trusted, thus continously freezing the water).

Last edited:

xNuminousx

All it did in the show was deflect icespikes and that's... it.
It was shown reaching out and grabbing... Since they obviously had the capability to reach out and grab we can easily assume it had the same capability to reach out and punch or strike.
4247586-7729079915-19c81.gif
I spent time editing this gif just so that it was uploadable. It was a really long gif lol.
Well, the 'freezing tool' isn't that far fetch: you freeze things holding sneak. Sneak = Focus.
The sneak should be the bender focusing on each arm of the move. Why, in a real world situation, would a bender take the unnecessary time to freeze things around them while ALSO having to take time and energy to focus on the form? Realistically, you're probably using this move to combat several people at once so you're not going to have the time to focus and turning things to ice when it's pointless.
Sneak also promts the player to go in a 'stance'
thus continously freezing the water
How does sneak automatically = frozen water? But this logic shouldn't torrent just freeze any water it goes near or goes into contact with? For the same reason torrent doesn't effect water or plants near it, octopus form shouldn't; It's pointless and not really a real-world scenario (if it were to exist).

Well, octy's freeze is unique is its own way in comparison with the torrent's, but I agree it shouldn't be freezing water like that. Left click should freeze who/what you click on. Limit torrent to freeze distant beings, as octopus would then be special in freezing close range stuff.

It reaching out and punching striking: then for a cost, something will have to be done to waterarms' punch feature or to octy's feature. Maybe octy should reach out and punch everyone? Like how torrent washes away players with knockback, octy should deal damage players around you per left click. If it isn't coded like that, then what point would octopusform have? If no changes are done, with my additional to it, Octopusform would stay useless and situation as how it is right now.

Išsiųsta naudojantis SM-G313HN Tapatalk 4 Lt

xNuminousx

Maybe octy should reach out and punch everyone?
Like when you click, all of the arms expand outwards to attack? I would like an expanding animation for the arms but I don't think it should be all the arms at once, too laggy. Have the move search for entities within a radius, then check for a LEFT_CLICK event, then if there are entities in he radius there is an Arm Animation of 1 arms going to each entity within the radius; creating an independent arm feel. Right now there really is no animation besides squiggling arms. I think it'd be really cool to, if the entity is far enough, see the arms reach out and attack. Right now "Octy" is just a close ranged move, with no reach. Where in the show we clearly see a reach is possible. Just something to consider.
Limit torrent to freeze distant beings, as octopus would then be special in freezing close range stuff.
I don't think Octopus Form should freeze anything. It should look like the bender is freezing things, not the move itself. That's really what's wrong with the current "Octy." It looks like the move is freezing water around it rather than the actual bender. The only ways I think Octy should be doing anything with ice, is if they add some sort of Spear effect where you can detach one of our tentacles and shoot it at someone, potentially freezing them if you click. But other than that I think it should remain a pure water ability.

Vahagn

Staff member
Plugin Developer
OctopusForm, within what we see in the show does not have the capability to freeze people, and while it may be a great idea, imagine how increasing overpowered it may be if you can simply camp with OctopusForm and freeze players who come into you. Another thing is also the fact that, octopus in and of itself has the functionality to melt ice, which wouldn't really make sense if it could freeze then melt within the same second.

Octopusform doesn't melt ice. It phases through it. Thought I wish it was removed, because it is op.

It's OP. Unless it gives you high super speed, you shouldn't be screaming "OMG. A WALKING TURTLE-OCTOPUS IS GUNNA KILL MEH, EVEN THOUGHT I CAN WALK AWAY FROM IT WITHIN SECONDS". If you're aren't chi blocker: just stay away from its hitbox range and use range attacks to strike the user. The User will then have to switch tactics, to another ability, as you're opponent knows how useless they become when their octy is active.

The Show didn't displayed its capability to phase through blocks as well, but yeah-- I guess that argument applies to all abilities.n

Last edited:
I do believe OctopusForm needs some kind of work (per example, to work how Aang had shown us, as a defensive move), but I don't think freezing would be the answer. From what we have learned and seen from the show, the Octopus Form technique is used by the waterbender to move a considerable body of water, even if it is still connected to a water source, forming various tentacles and keeping those intact. Per example, in the Battle of the Crystal Catacombs, Katara held a huge amount of water, and it couldn't be said as being exactly easy to manage.
As I believe it would be already hard to keep those tentacles moving, swinging, as we currently do in the plugin, freezing people who are hit just seems like a huge stretch to me.

Beyond that, I didn't get how would the freezing go. Would the person be frozen as if they were Paralyzed or in an ice dome thingy? Would the person be knockbacked, and as so, freeze once they land? If not, couldn't you just keep hitting them with Octopus, keeping the freezing time even larger, until you would eventually defeat them?

I do believe OctopusForm needs some kind of work (per example, to work how Aang had shown us, as a defensive move), but I don't think freezing would be the answer. From what we have learned and seen from the show, the Octopus Form technique is used by the waterbender to move a considerable body of water, even if it is still connected to a water source, forming various tentacles and keeping those intact. Per example, in the Battle of the Crystal Catacombs, Katara held a huge amount of water, and it couldn't be said as being exactly easy to manage.
As I believe it would be already hard to keep those tentacles moving, swinging, as we currently do in the plugin, freezing people who are hit just seems like a huge stretch to me.

Beyond that, I didn't get how would the freezing go. Would the person be frozen as if they were Paralyzed or in an ice dome thingy? Would the person be knockbacked, and as so, freeze once they land? If not, couldn't you just keep hitting them with Octopus, keeping the freezing time even larger, until you would eventually defeat them?
Looking at the gif, maybe sneaking shouldn't keep it active? Katara is clearly seen spaming the sh!t out of left clicking? I'm gonna make suggestion a now for that.

ETA Soon (right now this site is lagging for me for no reason).

They freeze in a ice form, that matches the tentacle's dimension and form. I imagine maybe the tentacle first pushing/knockbacking the victims with its new animtion, and then freezing afterwards. No, freezing something again and again will not create incapsulated in another or increase the size of an ice. Of course, the octy-phase-slays-you-in-ice will have to be removed to make the ability balanced.

Despite what I said above, I fully agree about "freezing aspect". You guys have good points, that normally octopusform to much concentration for the waterbenders to do such a thing. Now I'm literally looking forward to this thread getting denied, because of how terrible my idea is, which I only fully realized that by now xD

Loony

We already have plans to completely change Octopusform which makes this thread invalid; denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.