• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied New lava move: LavaBubble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
So if you read the name, you can probably guess what the move is going to be.
Name: LavaBubble
Element: Lava
How used: Bind it and go to move bound slot
Description: This move would be like waterbubble and airbubble, but with lava. Now I know your going to say "why not just cool the lava with lavaflow?" Well if that is the case why not just freeze water, or use airspout to get over it. Well the reason I suggest this move is because we all know that when we are deep in caves, and then we find lava. There could be diamonds under the lava, and the only way you could find out would be by cooling the lava, and then mining out the obsidian, which to me takes way to long. So what this move would do would clear lava in a certain radius around you. The default radius would be quite lower than that of Water/airbubble, due to the fact that lava is a heavier substance than water, and there are not any really big lava sources in minecraft naturally.
Configurable Aspects: Radius
Newly Added: To use the move you must be sneaking, after you let go of sneak the lava slowly caves in on you. Also the bubble takes longer to form due to lava being a heavier substance.

Last edited:

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
What about making the default radius quite low, because lava is thick and heavy.

dNiym

Verified Member
I made a move like this once it's less useful than one might think.. During testing and in the nether I often found my test subject stuck at the bottom of a lava lake unable to switch off of the skill. It would strand many of earth benders if they only brought on pick or ran out of blocks to stack to get out.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I made a move like this once it's less useful than one might think.. During testing and in the nether I often found my test subject stuck at the bottom of a lava lake unable to switch off of the skill. It would strand many of earth benders if they only brought on pick or ran out of blocks to stack to get out.
The same thing could happen with water bubble or air bubble.

Hit_Manx

Verified Member
The same thing could happen with water bubble or air bubble.
They wouldn't die if they switched from Water bubble or Air bubble. I honestly think it could be a fairly pointless move in general but useful in certain areas. Not sure if there would be much point in the devs making it. Maybe someone could make it as an addon ability or something.

Sketz

Verified Member
I like the move.
However, i don't think it's that useful. I don't see a lot of people using this.
Everyone mostly would be in an arena fighting. A lot of arenas don't carry lava.

Even if someone does use this in another world. think of the outcome.
There could be only one earthbender in that world. Don't know.

Also, this may lag some servers. because lava can lag.
Never know.

I'm sorry though, I don't support this idea that much.

Hope you understand! :)

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
They wouldn't die if they switched from Water bubble or Air bubble. I honestly think it could be a fairly pointless move in general but useful in certain areas. Not sure if there would be much point in the devs making it. Maybe someone could make it as an addon ability or something.
An air bender would be able to die, and so could a waterbender if they weren't able to use fastswim. And this move has use.

mastermind71

Verified Member
Disagree. In the series there was no move like this for a reason. Why? Its somewhat pointless. What if you switch slots while in lava and burn to death? Its simply waterbubble just for lava (And im pretty sure waterbubble affects lava as well) Lastly lavabenders are mostly offensive. NOT UTILITY BASED.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Disagree. In the series there was no move like this for a reason. Why? Its somewhat pointless. What if you switch slots while in lava and burn to death? Its simply waterbubble just for lava (And im pretty sure waterbubble affects lava as well) Lastly lavabenders are mostly offensive. NOT UTILITY BASED.
Waterbubble only affects water, lavabenders have only been in the show for 2 books, and just becuase it isn't utility based doesn't mean it can't have a move like this. And I said that it was like waterbubble, but with lava. And if you switch slots with waterbubble/airbubble you could die too. Please get your facts straight before commenting something like that.

Kwesi

Verified Member
I can see both points to the debate of this ability. Since, as @White_Knight28 mentioned, lavabending is rather offense oriented and has been used this way in the series, which is why a lot of people question LavaBubble's worth. However, examining the basis of lavabending - to manipulate the movement of lava - one can't logically dismiss the possibility of an ability like this; it would be a rather simple form of manipulation, actually.

I personally can see the benefit of this ability for the reasons AirBubble and WaterBubble would benefit benders. If one wishes to traverse through a body of lava without being engulfed then it really does have a great use as a utility, the same can apply to PvP situations.

As lava is thicker and heavier and logically I would imagine harder to manipulate compared to the same amount of effort used for lighter flowing element like water I'll suggest earthbenders hold sneak to cause a gradual partition and hold the sneak to maintain. The bender would still be able to move freely, but lack speed due to more effort needed to keep the lava parted; that way it could simulate how strenuous continuously bending the lava would be. The partition time and size value would be configurable. If the earthbender were to release sneak the lava would slowly cave in. I suppose, since fast changing collected lava blocks are prone to causing lag, the gradual bubble formation would make it more convenient (especially considering how dangerous moving through a larger volumes of lava is and lag is going to want to be avoided).

Obviously, the ability doesn't do that much - it's rather simple, really. However, depending on the style of play, it can range from barely to extremely useful. Some will need it - some won't. Seeing as lavabending is a extension of earthbending and is actively used and oriented to PvP this ability may not be on high demand as for now, but I will say that this ability would be perfectly reasonable (at least to me) for expanding lavabending.

Overall I find more pros than cons (I don't logically see any cons when comparing this to general lavabending), so I support this ability. It doesn't seem unreasonable to implement and whether or not it's used, will meet players' demands either way, so why not?

Last edited:

mastermind71

Verified Member
Waterbubble only affects water, lavabenders have only been in the show for 2 books, and just becuase it isn't utility based doesn't mean it can't have a move like this. And I said that it was like waterbubble, but with lava. And if you switch slots with waterbubble/airbubble you could die too. Please get your facts straight before commenting something like that.
You do have a chance of dying using waterbubble or airbubble, but the chance of dying with lavabubble is much higher. I don't like the idea of having a similar ability for water, air, and maybe soon to come lava.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
You do have a chance of dying using waterbubble or airbubble, but the chance of dying with lavabubble is much higher. I don't like the idea of having a similar ability for water, air, and maybe soon to come lava.
The reason it is much higher is due to the fact that the bender is handling lava, which is very deadly. It is similar only in the aspect of the name (which I would like to change, but the name basically explains what it does), and what it does. Everything else is different.
As lava is thicker and heavier and logically I would imagine harder to manipulate compared to the same amount of effort used for lighter flowing element like water I'll suggest earthbenders hold sneak to cause a gradual partition and hold the sneak to maintain. The bender would still be able to move freely, but lack speed due to more effort needed to keep the lava parted; that way it could simulate how strenuous continuously bending the lava would be. The partition time and size value would be configurable. If the earthbender were to release sneak the lava would slowly cave in. I suppose, since fast changing collected lava blocks are prone to causing lag, the gradual bubble formation would make it more convenient (especially considering how dangerous moving through a larger volumes of lava is and lag is going to want to be avoided).
Added.
Obviously, the ability doesn't do that much - it's rather simple, really. However, depending on the style of play, it can range from barely to extremely useful. Some will need it - some won't. Seeing as lavabending is a extension of earthbending and is actively used and oriented to PvP this ability may not be on high demand as for now, but I will say that this ability would be perfectly reasonable (at least to me) for expanding lavabending.
There are only 2 ways I could see this being used as pvp in any way. 1 - going into lava with it, and then another player stupidly following you, 2 - You draw someone in with you, and kill yourself and the other person by stopping lavabubble.

Kwesi

Verified Member
The reason it is much higher is due to the fact that the bender is handling lava, which is very deadly. It is similar only in the aspect of the name (which I would like to change, but the name basically explains what it does), and what it does. Everything else is different.

Added.

There are only 2 ways I could see this being used as pvp in any way. 1 - going into lava with it, and then another player stupidly following you, 2 - You draw someone in with you, and kill yourself and the other person by stopping lavabubble.
It could be effective against LavaFlow. I'm thinking, in the instance a player were part Lavaflow when it turns back to earth, that parted lava would not return as earth.

dNiym

Verified Member
An air bender would be able to die, and so could a waterbender if they weren't able to use fastswim. And this move has use.
Air bubble and water bubble could both be toggled back on to prevent drowning which by the way takes quite a while to do to a) run out of air, and b) actually take enough damage from drowning to die. Being totally engulfed in lava is almost a guaranteed death sentence if you were to switch this ability off. Not to mention you also take damage from burning even after getting out of lava. The difference here being death over a much longer period with water and it's 100% preventable if you simply turn the ability back on.

DanStryder

Verified Member
All because you don't die quick enough from drowning doesn't mean that lava benders can't have the ability to create a bubble of lava... and to be fair earth is a utility element, extraction, earth tunnel, raise earth and collapse are all useful during mining if you use them correctly. Just to stop you complaining about raise earth and collapse with mining I've used both to seal a tunnel I've made to stop mobs following/killing me, I've used both again for pulling up/down ores that I've seen I've caverns.

Back on topic, I totally agree that Lava bubble should be added, I don't see why it can't be lore wise, lag might be an issue, and if I'm honest if you die from swapping slots, that's your own fault... you're messing with lava... I don't see why you don't use eartharmour beforehand to stop a bit of the damage (oh wait that's another utility move from earth... Hmmm earth is definitely not a utility element at all...).

*EDIT* also you say that you can toggle it back on, right so can't you toggle this move back on? The Lava is slow to reform back to a bubble which give you enough time to reform the bubble even with the slow reformation of the bubble. If anything you're less likely to die from the bubble due to the fact it takes a while to form/reform. Water and air bubble is an instantaneous action whereas this move is being suggested to be a slow move.

paliate

Verified Member
I support this idea, I think it totally makes sense why they would have it and i'd love to see it come to life.

But as many said before, the radius should be quite low to make it more realistic, But i'd also prefer to make it configurable.
If were to go down with lavabubble you'd probably lag from all the noise.

paliate

Verified Member
Lava is known to lag players, Because of the noise (just in default minecraft in all).
Being under lava surrounded by all of that sound could lag the player pretty easily.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.