• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied New Ability: Aqua Ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarrloq

Verified Member
AQUA RING

Hi guys, first of all i would like to say that this is my first suggestion and I don't know if this has been suggested in the past but it is worth trying. I want to hear all of your comments.

I got the idea from the battle between Kya and Zaheer (Season 3) and also from the battle between Korra and Unalaq which involved several factors and moves that might be possible to create. I thought this might be a good addition to offensive and defensive waterbending, since it adds movility without overpowering the element.
It is a Canon move :)

Name: Aqua Ring
Element: Water
Cooldown: 10 seconds
Overview: the move will use a shorter version of torrent with the same source commands (left click + shift) the only thing that will change is the fact that the user won't need to keep on holding shift. (don't know if it's possible, due to lag, perhaps slowness debuff) It is both an offensive and defensive move.

Attack mode: (left-click + shift --> left-click)
the water ring will surround the user and he/she will have the opportunity to shoot up to 10 iceblasts (left-click) (can be changed in config) dealing 1 heart each, no special debuff will appear.
(as it was mentioned before, possible application of a slowness debuff that might help decreasing the lag provoked by the water ring)
INSPIRATION:

Defense mode: (left-click + shift --> shift)
If shift is used an ice shield will appear surrouning the waterbender, the exact same one as the Ice bullet combo, protecting it from attacks like surge, but with the exception that it's a smaller version without the capacity to regenerate if damaged.
The user will be able to move with the shield activated, when releasing shift the water will return to the ring and will keep spinning around the user. (if the shield is damaged and the user returns to water ring state, the next time the waterbender uses shift a new ice-shield will appear) This option will only work 3 times (can be changed in config). Because of possible spamming it is limited to 3 uses. If he/she uses it 3 times the water ring will continue spinning around the user for the offensive mode, but the shield option won't be available until next time Aqua Ring is activated.
Possible add-on: option to deflect projectiles when the ring is spinning.

INSPIRATION:

If water ring is activated by accident, it can be deactivated by holding shift and left-clicking twice (same as water-arms)

NOTE: I do not know of code stuff, so this is just an idea.
I hope I didn't copy someone else's work, just thought this might be a good addition to waterbending.

Last edited:

Green

Verified Member
I know you didn't mean to copy anyone but this sounds an awful like my metalarmor ability. And also you can do these exact same things with other moves. (Surge and iceblast)

Tarrloq

Verified Member
I know you didn't mean to copy anyone but this sounds an awful like my metalarmor ability. And also you can do these exact same things with other moves. (Surge and iceblast)
I'm sorry it sounded like your move :( but believe me it is different, perhaps I could include a picture to explain it.
This move was thought so the waterbender could have water at its reach without having to run for it's life to find a piece dead bush, while an earth/fire/air/bender shoots it's element from everywhere. (Earth/sand/stone/gravel etc)(their fists)
Surge is limited to 2 actions and it is hard for new waterbenders to control it, specially in rapid succession.
In the case of ice blast it is true that you can do that with ice spike, but you need ice to do it, but this move would add facility to waterbend specifically when you don't have anything waterbendeable XD.
It makes the waterbender less dependant to waterbottles (1 waterbottle= 1 water manipulation, while it returns you have to run for your life)(1 ring=10 shots, 3 shields) #freethewaterbottle #nomorewaterbottles
The blast could be changed between water or ice but the concept of the ring I do think is good because it's canon and adds movility and watersources :)

Last edited:

SuperBower118

Verified Member
Attack mode: (left-click + shift --> left-click)
the water ring will surround the user and he/she will have the opportunity to shoot up to 10 iceblasts (left-click) (can be changed in config) dealing 1 heart each, no special debuff will appear.
(as it was mentioned before, possible application of a slowness debuff that might help decreasing the lag provoked by the water ring)
Shooting 10 iceblasts with seemingly no cooldown according to what you're telling us is OP, not going to lie. What makes that any different from WaterArms Freeze then? Also the fact that you included the slowness debuff just to decrease server lag, as opposed to actually having it balanced is also personally alarming to me. I don't think any waterbender could pull this off while also doing parkour, provided you acquire the information that servers can handle this. The Slowness Debuff should be added as a factor to consider before using this move, not something to help buffer lag. Also, if you're going to include slowness, you'd be better off making it so the people can't jump too.

Defense mode: (left-click + shift --> shift)
If shift is used an ice shield will appear surrouning the waterbender, same as the Ice bullet combo, protecting it from attacks like surge, but with the exception that it's a smaller version without the capacity to regenerate if damaged.
So now we're also giving our combo that does the job of WaterArms Freeze an option of shielding when your opponents either outplay you or reach your no-no zone (which would be inside the ring). I mean, that's one way to give water more options... technically, but it honestly doesn't work. It doesn't make water more fluid, it just gives water a lesser penalty by simply switching over to a different mode.

The user will be able to move with the shield activated, when releasing shift the water will return to the ring and will keep spinning around the user. (if the shield is damaged and the user returns to water ring state, the next time the waterbender uses shift a new ice-shield will appear) This option will only work 3 times (can be changed in config).
But how can the person even logically move if they surround themselves in an ice crystal, just like how icebullet does. It's not like they can move over one block and the shield will follow them like surge shield, no, because they have no place to go period. Shield is basically a tool to let you escape if you screw up. Sure, everyone needs that, but that'll just reduce the penalty of recklessly using Aqua Ring, which will only make it more OP (and make IceBullet more pointless).

I appreciate that you try to add another creative use for all of the water that a waterbender may need to create an Aqua Ring, but you're putting two extremes, and I really mean two extremes, together with only a cooldown providing as something to balance it. You're adding water's spam factor, which has been a key point in the element to begin with, while also adding water's surge shield. That'd be like combining FireBlast and WallOfFire, though the outcome may not come out as terrifying as Aqua Ring does, they're still two polar opposite features of the element.

Because of possible spamming it is limited to 3 uses. If he/she uses it 3 times the water ring will continue spinning around the user for the offensive mode, but the shield option won't be available until next time Aqua Ring is activated.
This really only adds on to Aqua Ring's Shield Mode being a tool to escape sticky situations. Seriously though, what are the drawbacks of using this move? The slowness, at the moment of this post, is debatable on whether or not it'll be a solid feature. I think I've bashed Shield Mode enough. The only downfall this move has is it's cooldown, but even then, that's not justification, because any fights that involve waterbending would tend to revolve a lot on who can pull off their Aqua Ring better on their opponent, not on actual waterbending itself. And deflecting moves with Aqua Ring would just be a train wreck.

To summarize this up, Aqua Ring just takes the job of IceBullet and amplifies it by giving the user mobility, and better projectiles. The Cooldown doesn't really matter, even if fights won't revolve around who pops their Aqua Ring first, because waterbending can stand on it's own two feet already. It has perfect spam capabilities, it has the option to create giant spheres of ice which are a nightmare, and I do mean a nightmare, to anyone who can't unfreeze ice, if the waterbender intends on keeping you on the ice. Water has perfect running capabilities with swiftswim, waterwave, and surge. Even if you try to defend water saying that they're useless without a water source, well yeah, so is earthbending without a source and firebending when you're underwater. That's not really a situation where your bending is an option, and that should be your fault.

Aqua Ring is not needed, it's just a move that does other moves' jobs better.
Sorry if this is a bit harsh for your first post, but this is how I feel about your idea here.

Tarrloq

Verified Member
Shooting 10 iceblasts with seemingly no cooldown according to what you're telling us is OP, not going to lie. What makes that any different from WaterArms Freeze then? Also the fact that you included the slowness debuff just to decrease server lag, as opposed to actually having it balanced is also personally alarming to me. I don't think any waterbender could pull this off while also doing parkour, provided you acquire the information that servers can handle this. The Slowness Debuff should be added as a factor to consider before using this move, not something to help buffer lag. Also, if you're going to include slowness, you'd be better off making it so the people can't jump too.

So now we're also giving our combo that does the job of WaterArms Freeze an option of shielding when your opponents either outplay you or reach your no-no zone (which would be inside the ring). I mean, that's one way to give water more options... technically, but it honestly doesn't work. It doesn't make water more fluid, it just gives water a lesser penalty by simply switching over to a different mode.

But how can the person even logically move if they surround themselves in an ice crystal, just like how icebullet does. It's not like they can move over one block and the shield will follow them like surge shield, no, because they have no place to go period. Shield is basically a tool to let you escape if you screw up. Sure, everyone needs that, but that'll just reduce the penalty of recklessly using Aqua Ring, which will only make it more OP (and make IceBullet more pointless).

I appreciate that you try to add another creative use for all of the water that a waterbender may need to create an Aqua Ring, but you're putting two extremes, and I really mean two extremes, together with only a cooldown providing as something to balance it. You're adding water's spam factor, which has been a key point in the element to begin with, while also adding water's surge shield. That'd be like combining FireBlast and WallOfFire, though the outcome may not come out as terrifying as Aqua Ring does, they're still two polar opposite features of the element.

This really only adds on to Aqua Ring's Shield Mode being a tool to escape sticky situations. Seriously though, what are the drawbacks of using this move? The slowness, at the moment of this post, is debatable on whether or not it'll be a solid feature. I think I've bashed Shield Mode enough. The only downfall this move has is it's cooldown, but even then, that's not justification, because any fights that involve waterbending would tend to revolve a lot on who can pull off their Aqua Ring better on their opponent, not on actual waterbending itself. And deflecting moves with Aqua Ring would just be a train wreck.

To summarize this up, Aqua Ring just takes the job of IceBullet and amplifies it by giving the user mobility, and better projectiles. The Cooldown doesn't really matter, even if fights won't revolve around who pops their Aqua Ring first, because waterbending can stand on it's own two feet already. It has perfect spam capabilities, it has the option to create giant spheres of ice which are a nightmare, and I do mean a nightmare, to anyone who can't unfreeze ice, if the waterbender intends on keeping you on the ice. Water has perfect running capabilities with swiftswim, waterwave, and surge. Even if you try to defend water saying that they're useless without a water source, well yeah, so is earthbending without a source and firebending when you're underwater. That's not really a situation where your bending is an option, and that should be your fault.

Aqua Ring is not needed, it's just a move that does other moves' jobs better.
Sorry if this is a bit harsh for your first post, but this is how I feel about your idea here.
Sorry :(
I do think now, that I exaggerated on the ice blasts, the spamming options are limitless xD
Perhaps only 5 like the one from Waterarms freeze might work.
I agree on not letting the waterbender being able to jump while performing this move and also i didn't know that you couldn't move while in ice bullet, i thought it was possible by changing the config.
Maybe it could be more of a sustitution to the combo rather than a move itself. DK
I just added the shield like a bonus, cause i really liked the idea of throwing iceblasts like Kya did, not because of the shield. Now i read it again and it sounds like TOO much.
The water ring source would look good. (She moved really slow i must say)

I'll summarize with
- 5 shots
- cooldown 50 seconds
- no shield option due to OP
- torrent spheres need to be smaller and disappear sooner
- slowness and no jump debuff while activated

I appreciate your wisdom and comments, thank you very much :)

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
1. Even you don't know, it was actually suggested ton of times.
2. Instead of new ability, I prefer it being Torrent+IceSpike combo.
3. I like the requirement of holding shift/sneak. Haven't read this post fully, but if it does not includes a duration - that makes it op in terms that I can walk around across the word with no fatigue.
4. Uhhhh...
5. Don't think it needs a defense feature, if we ever gonna have Water Reusement mechanic (aka. switching through slots to another bending ability while still bending the same water without needing to re-execute another ability again). In this case, what we saw Korra do, switching to Surge will create a water shield from the water used by Aqua Shield without the bender needing to reselect a new water source and not needing to wait for its formation to be complete.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.