• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Lightning Rework

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSacredWarrior

Verified Member
I have a few suggestions for lightning in this threat, but first I will address the change that I would like to the base move. Lightning as it is,is simply too slow. The charge-up time is fine, and the animation is okay, but the actual speed of the lightning is just not practical. Targets are able to run away from it even after it is fired despite its random movement (which I'd like to get into later).

Every time that Lightning has been used in the show, it has been impossible to dodge (if the firebender aims it correctly), and the only way to block it was to redirect it
q3ev8.gif
In this image, you see that Iroh has generated the lightning just as we do now, the only difference is, the actual lighting covers its distance in the blink of an eye. Now, to those who might say that its not fair to give lightning its actual properties, remember that its up to the bender to aim and hit its target.

Now moving onto the shape, and forms of lightning. The lightning that we have now is very wide and general. Now, there have been times in the show where we have seen people bend it that way, but more often than not, the lightning looks a lot more like Iroh's, which is more centered and accurate.

What I'm suggesting now is that we have different forms of lightning, with the base lightning looking more like Iroh's. These could be reworked into combos, where the messier version of lighting that we have now could have a combo involving blaze, as blaze is very similar(it doesn't aim for one target, it goes for a general area).

We have also seen straight beams of lightning, that last for longer periods of time.

q3dpf.gif
This beam is a very accurate, but short distance move which does seem to be a bit slower, as it takes more time to concentrate lighting into a specific spot, and make it so that it keeps flowing. (not sure what happened to the guardian beam idea for lightning, but if that can be worked in, it would work perfect for a move like this)

Another example of constant flowing lightning would be with Lightning Bold Zolt vs. Amon
q3e8d.gif
Even after he has fired what seems to be normal lightning, he is still able to keep it flowing as Amon counters him. Now I' m not suggesting that the base lightning be like this, but there could possibly be a combo that lets it flow(lets say for 3 seconds) but weakens it the longer it flows (it would only deal damage to someone when hit by it, no further damage afterwards, so basically the longer it takes for the bender to hit their target, the weaker the move gets).

The main point of showing these was to show that there are other ways to use lightning. These are just to help get the ideas flowing. Besides, lightning is a subelement after all, lets give it some moves to work with. Feedback would be great.

Last edited:

promancer

Verified Member
I have a few suggestions for lightning in this threat, but first I will address the change that I would like to the base move. Lightning as it is,is simply too slow.The charge-up time is fine, and the animation is okay, but the actual speed of the lightning is just not practical. Targets are able to run away from it even after it is fired despite its random movement (which I'd like to get into later).

Every time that Lightning has been used in the show, it has been impossible to doge, and the only way to block it was to redirect it
View attachment 1878
In this image, you see that Iroh has generated the lightning just as we do now, the only difference is, the actual lighting covers its distance in the blink of an eye. Now, to those who might say that its not fair to give lightning its actual properties, remember that its up to the bender to aim and hit its target.

Now moving onto the shape, and forms of lightning. The lightning that we have now is very wide and general. Now, there have been times in the show where we have seen people bend it that way, but more often than not, the lightning looks a lot more like Iroh's, which is move centered and accurate.

What I'm suggesting now is that we have different forms of lightning, with the base lightning looking more like Iroh's. These could be reworked into combos, where the messier version of lighting that we have now could have a combo involving blaze, as blaze is very similar(it doesn't aim for one target, it goes for a general area).

We have also seen straight beams of lightning, that last for linger periods of time.

View attachment 1879
This beam is a very accurate, but short distance move which does seem to be a bit slower, as it takes more time to concentrate lighting into a specific spot, and make it so that it keeps flowing. (not sure what happened to the guardian beam idea for lightning, but if that can be worked in, it would work perfect for a move like this)

Another example of constant flowing lightning would be with Lightning Bold Zolt vs. Amon
View attachment 1881
Even after he has fired what seems to be normal lightning, he is still able to keep it flowing as Amon counters him. Now I' m not suggesting that the base lightning be like this, but there could possibly be a combo that lets it flow(lets say for 3 seconds) but weakens it the longer it flows (it would only deal damage to someone when hit by it, no further damage afterwards, so basically the longer it takes for the bender to hit their target, the weaker the move gets).

The main point of showing these was to show that there are other ways to use lightning. These are just to help get the ideas flowing. Besides, lightning is a subelement after all, lets give it some moves to work with. Feedback would be great.
Realism=Canon

If all moves had adaptations of how they were in the show, every element would be a powerhouse. Fire is not only the element of power, but also the one with the most combos. It wouldn't be fair to other elements if fire got an instant combo, and great accuracy, and adaptation of the real thing from the show.

Lightning isn't a bullet, nor is it just a chunk of earth to throw. It is electrons harvested and fired, particles racing at 2200 km per hour and your firing at the least billions. Lightning is ok how it is, but this would be cool as add-on combos.

Last edited:

SuperBower118

Verified Member
Realism=Canon

If all moves had adaptations of how they were in the show, every element would be a powerhouse. Fire is not only the element of power, but also the one with the most combos. It wouldn't be fair to other elements if fire got an instant combo, and great accuracy, and adaptation of the real thing from the show.

Lightning isn't a bullet, nor is it just a chunk of earth to throw. It is electrons harvested and fired, particles racing at 2200 km per hour and your firing at the least billions. Lightning is ok how it is, but this would be cool as add-on combos.
So you think the current lightning is good as the way it is?
No, it's not. It's unpredictable at times, to the point where it can screw you over by going down and stopping at the ground instead of going straight at my opponent where it should be because I had just shot it at the guy. The only time when I find lightning a viable move is if a waterbender is camping in water, and that's too situational.

NinjaK

Verified Member
In the show, lightning was shown as an extremely powerful and difficult ability, that can strike you down where you stand, only avoidable with redirection. In ProjectKorra it takes forever to load and when you finally get to use it, it doesn't reach far, it doesn't do a ton of damage, it misses almost every time, and is extremely situational. Lightning needs to be reworked. Its graphics are good at least.

And if you think this is too op, take a look at lavabending, bloodbending, suffocation, flight, etc.

promancer

Verified Member
In the show, lightning was shown as an extremely powerful and difficult ability, that can strike you down where you stand, only avoidable with redirection. In ProjectKorra it takes forever to load and when you finally get to use it, it doesn't reach far, it doesn't do a ton of damage, it misses almost every time, and is extremely situational. Lightning needs to be reworked. Its graphics are good at least.

And if you think this is too op, take a look at lavabending, bloodbending, suffocation, flight, etc.
Realism=Canon

If all moves had adaptations of how they were in the show, every element would be a powerhouse. Fire is not only the element of power, but also the one with the most combos. IT WOULDN'T BE FAIR TO THE OTHER ELEMENTS if fire got an instant combo, and great accuracy, and adaptation of the real thing from the show.

Water can use surge as a source, not to mention all the water they use doesn't just disappear. Also, freaking bloodbending. Earthbenders in the show could KILL YOU by simply surrounding you in earth and then lavabending under you. Air could kill you by asphyxiation, then fly away, or just pick you up and drop you from a high distance.

There is a reason lightning isn't a 1 hit 100% accuracy wide spread paralyzing move: because (pardon my lang) that's just fucking ridiculous. Just because it's canon doesn't mean it's valid to be added. The staff team said themselves that if the suggestion doesn't match the direction pk is going, it most likely won't get added, even if it's canon.

Last edited:

TheSacredWarrior

Verified Member
There is a reason lightning isn't a 1 hit 100% accuracy wide spread paralyzing move
I'm not asking for it to be a one hit kill, and it wouldn't be a guaranteed hit if the devs went by what i suggested. Its up to the bender to actually hit the target, and with my suggestion, I'm asking for it to have less of a spread and have it focus more to a specific point(not a lazer beam, once again look at Iroh's lightning). Nobody here is asking for the spread to be wider, that's actually the exact opposite of what my suggestion was saying, and nobody ever suggested that the chances of it paralyzing be bumped up.

Also, freaking bloodbending. Earthbenders in the show could KILL YOU by simply surrounding you in earth and then lavabending under you. Air could kill you by asphyxiation, then fly away, or just pick you up and drop you from a high distance.
1.) bloodbending is in the plugin
2.)Earth can already do that, earthgrab + lavaflow
3.) Air has suffocation, which is counter-able.
4.) Every element has a counter to falling from an extremely high heights. Fire has firejet, earth doesn't take fall damage in most situations, and water can use surge with water bottles under them to prevent fall damage.

The staff team said themselves that if the suggestion doesn't match the direction pk is going, it most likely won't get added, even if it's canon.
What I'm saying is that right now, lightning isn't practical in the plugin for pvp (which I said in the post). It's slow, which is kinda ironic.People can literally just run away from the lightning as it is moving through the air. The base lightning is so far off from the actual show, in a bad way, that I feel that this move needs to be looked at.

Last edited:

promancer

Verified Member
I'm not asking for it to be a one hit kill, and it wouldn't be a guaranteed hit if the devs went by what i suggested. Its up to the bender to actually hit the target, and with my suggestion, I'm asking for it to have less of a spread and have it focus more to a specific point(not a lazer beam, once again look at Iroh's lightning). Nobody here is asking for the spread to be wider, that's actually the exact opposite of what my suggestion was saying, and nobody ever suggested that the chances of it paralyzing be bumped up.

4.) Every element has a counter to falling from an extremely high heights. Fire has firejet, earth doesn't take fall damage in most situations, and water can use surge with water bottles under them to prevent fall damage.

What I'm saying is that right now, lightning isn't practical in the plugin for pvp (which I said in the post). It's slow, which is kinda ironic.People can literally just run away from the lightning as it is moving through the air. The base lightning is so far off from the actual show, in a bad way, that I feel that this move needs to be looked at.
Well, I guess I agree, fire is already the element of power so why not add another buff.
This ofcourse means that airshield definitely needs a buff, as it makes you a sitting duck. Thats a discussion for another thread though.

Last edited:

promancer

Verified Member
Still, having an instant move is still ridiculously op. Maybe increase the speed, yes. But having it travel 30 blocks to hit someone with waterarms and then it spread through the water is a bit much.

orfeas

Verified Member
Well yeah lighting sure needs more range accuracy and speed but i got to agree with promancer with one thing:
Still, having an instant move is still ridiculously op. Maybe increase the speed, yes. But having it travel 30 blocks to hit someone with waterarms and then it spread through the water is a bit much.

Joeri

Verified Member
Make the range and damage and spread depending on the Charge, instant would be a short blast (like Discharge) dealing less damage and not spreading much
Charging full would be like current lightning but faster and a slight bit more damage
If you are charging particles appear around you that stack up, more particles = more charged
I think charge time maybe up to a max of 2.5 seconds for max duration, and no charge time required for short duration (releasing shift instantly) while inbetween the power (range/damage/spread) just increase

TheSacredWarrior

Verified Member
Still, having an instant move is still ridiculously op. Maybe increase the speed, yes.
I agree that it shouldn't be instant (although even when it was an instant strike from the sky it it didn't seem overpowered) but the speed needs to be increased by a LOT for this move to be practical again.

SuperBower118

Verified Member
Agreed. This is the kind of one thing Configurations fail at doing.
One other thing I wish was in the configuration was how much lightning spreads- the thing with spreading is that it's so random and sometimes the spreading can lead to the lightning not hitting an opponent 3-4 blocks away from me because it decided to go to the ground...

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member

Ironic indeed xD

Status
Not open for further replies.