• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Improving the flexibility of earthbending

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwistedEons

Verified Member
Now i know what you're thinking, flexibility sounds like something you would say about water, but think about this.
Earthbending is stagnating, it's trapped in the box of limits, you either raise an earth wall, or collapse it, blast a piece of earth, or just create lava around you.
The element of earth is just far too straight forward, with no other choices, and earth's lack of combos is just one reason for it.
So let's think about the possibilities, how do we, let earthbenders be flexible, have a wider choice of moves, like airbenders, with their quick feet and fast flurries of attacks, making up their lack of damage with great agility, fire with their wide choices of combos, and great mobility aiding them in almost any situation, water with a superb amount of moves used well enough together that let them be free from the shackles of just having straightforward moves.

There are of course many methods in doing so for earth, rather than earthblast being the only useful move for earthbenders to spam, we can allow them to have a choice, to charge it up, or not to.
Raise an earth wall with a great height, or not to.
Release a huge shockwave that would send shivers down enemy's spines, or just a little quake that would be enough for the earthbender to retreat and plan their next moves, or actually, do whatever they wish.

Of course the above ideas would make one vent their anger on me saying that earthbenders already need charge times for many moves, why would this be useful? well of course if this idea were to be implemented, the earthblast charged lesser than the bigger one would be more powerful, so people would just HAVE to charge it up. But think about this, what do you think are the possibilities of this?
A smaller earthblast being shot towards a moving larger earthblast, the smaller one would just crumble and weaken the larger one.
What this would help in bending fights :
More planning in battles rather than mindless spamming, you see, this is the specialty of earthbending, it's a solid, unlike water, it is tough and sturdy, which makes for a good way to balance it out up to the one with the greater sturdiness, which means the one who would stand their ground.

Raiseearth is the most common move to be spammed next to earthblast, usually, the people who do spam raiseearth don't know what they're doing, they just sneak and a large wall is lifted, without planning whatsoever.
Adding the flexibility of charging it would make it a better move to use, simply tapping sneak would lift a 1 block height wall, sneaking for 1 second would make it 2, and 2 seconds making it 3.

Shockwave would take too long to charge in a battle against any bender, and even if it does have enough time to charge, it isn't really that terrifying, the enemy would just run towards the earthbender again. This method would let earthbenders have a method to push enemies away from them for more time, for charging perhaps.

And here's a possibility of what kind of move that could be a breakthrough for earthbenders, again, just a rough idea.

EarthTwist :
Click to form a 3x3 area of earth from the ground at a 5 block height, any entity above the earth while it is forming will be shot up a great height.
Cooldown : 6 Seconds
The earth will sink back in if nothing is done to it after 3 seconds.

And here are the possible combos, the things the earthbender can choose to do, using the earth pillar as a defence, or aggressiveness.

EarthWave :
Click on the earth pillar with shockwave and you will be on top of it, tap sneak and a the pillar will spread itself out and release a great wave of earth that will only push back entities, the earth will then disappear.

EarthSlam :
Hold sneak while looking at the earthpillar with shockwave selected, the earth will then be above your head, bending towards whatever direction you're looking at diagonally, click to throw the earth which will also create a small shockwave of a small radius around it.

Do you see the possibilities of a new style of earthbending?

Reply below what you think, if you like it or not, if you don't, leave a reply and tell me why, any reply is fine.

Last edited:

HydroMan

Verified Member
I know you're trying to help make earthbenders more worty battleing, but there are alot of flaws in this.

Lets start with earthblast: you must know/realise this ain't gonna stop most of the "nooby" earthbenders earthblast spamming. They mostly care for a quick projectile shooting type of attacks, disregarding the actual damage. That's probably one of the reasons shockwave is rarely seen used. If making it so that you only shoot it by charging, it will leave a delay for the other not earthbenders to shoot their non-charging primary move before yours (aka. airswipe, watermanipulation).

RaiseEarth: useless to make 1 block to lift up at the start. How about make it with 2 blocks each time (0s-2>1s-4>2s-6).

Shockwave: what method? If you're saying it should have a long chargetime... No. Just no.

EarthTwin: would prefer to be 1 block, but that's already suggested.

EarthWave: I had a thing for jumping onto the pillar, but that will be in another suggestion (left click with catapult to hop onto it). Thou, this is not a bad idea for a combo.

EarthSlam: huhhhhh? (a picture pls).

TwistedEons

Verified Member
Lets start with earthblast: you must know/realise this ain't gonna stop most of the "nooby" earthbenders earthblast spamming. They mostly care for a quick projectile shooting type of attacks, disregarding the actual damage. That's probably one of the reasons shockwave is rarely seen used. If making it so that you only shoot it by charging, it will leave a delay for the other not earthbenders to shoot their non-charging primary move before yours (aka. airswipe, watermanipulation).
Do you think they would care if their moves did 0.5 hearts per shot, they would need 20 hits and you could just charge up a big earthblast and do the damage say 4 earthblasts would do in an instant overpowering their spamming too.

RaiseEarth: useless to make 1 block to lift up at the start. How about make it with 2 blocks each time (0s-2>1s-4>2s-6).
The reason is also because any running enemies can be just ever so slightly slowed down hitting the block at their feet, it can be useful.

Shockwave: what method? If you're saying it should have a long chargetime... No. Just no.
No, i'm not asking for a longer chargetime, i'm saying it would be useful to have a weaker shockwave after charging for only 1.5 seconds releasing a wave of radius : 3 just to get that enemy off your back, you could still charge it to the max so you could have the original damage.

EarthTwin: would prefer to be 1 block, but that's already suggested.
EarthTwin?

EarthSlam: huhhhhh? (a picture pls).
Here's your picture and a short showcase of the effectupload_2015-12-1_21-27-14.png

HydroMan

Verified Member
Do you think they would care if their moves did 0.5 hearts per shot, they would need 20 hits and you could just charge up a big earthblast and do the damage say 4 earthblasts would do in an instant overpowering their spamming too.

The reason is also because any running enemies can be just ever so slightly slowed down hitting the block at their feet, it can be useful.

No, i'm not asking for a longer chargetime, i'm saying it would be useful to have a weaker shockwave after charging for only 1.5 seconds releasing a wave of radius : 3 just to get that enemy off your back, you could still charge it to the max so you could have the original damage.

EarthTwin?

Here's your picture and a short showcase of the effectView attachment 2097
For Spammers, no, they won't.

Ok

So two charge times with one move each of them doing their own corresponding effect/outcome? This reminded of an old sugggestion that requstd a similar or same system to apply for earthbending. Lemme find he link and post it here, just for the reference (you might also get interest in it).

You know what I meant (EarthTwist*).

What's the green thingy block in their? Also how&where will the user be standing while performing it? Where he will be facing (his postion)? Is it basically an earthsmash rip off?

TwistedEons

Verified Member
For Spammers, no, they won't.
Then they can be blasted by a much more powerful earthblast or some other attack suffering the consequences of their bad choices.

So two charge times with one move each of them doing their own corresponding effect/outcome?
No, one is clicking and one is holding sneak.

You know what I meant (EarthTwist*).
One block thin would be a bit too little for the earthwave combo to make even a little sense at least.

What's the green thingy block in their? Also how&where will the user be standing while performing it? Where he will be facing (his postion)? Is it basically an earthsmash rip off?
The .exe is weird but i had to find something.
The green is grass, it's around the earthpillar that was thrown on the ground which would case a tiny shockwave to occur around it.
Well where the user is standing will depend on the combo they choose to execute, you want earthwave, you will automatically go on top of the earthpillar and it will spread out, pushing entities, you won't be trapped in a hole cause the earth will "regenerate" almost instantly
If you want to use the earthslam combo, just be close to the pillar and hold sneak, around 1-2 seconds possibly, then the earthpillar will be shaped like what is seen above, also rotating while you look elsewhere, clicking will blast the earthpillar.

HydroMan

Verified Member
They will however will be able to reduce the projectiles inducing damage, thus not discouranging them to not spam. Spammers will still be spammers.

Oh... I thought you meant to add like in this reference, as I promised to post: New Charging Concept

Well, the same goes for catapult. Although, it is a combo afterall, so I know what you mean and I can agree on that.

HydroMan

Verified Member
The .exe is weird but i had to find something.
The green is grass, it's around the earthpillar that was thrown on the ground which would case a tiny shockwave to occur around it.
Well where the user is standing will depend on the combo they choose to execute, you want earthwave, you will automatically go on top of the earthpillar and it will spread out, pushing entities, you won't be trapped in a hole cause the earth will "regenerate" almost instantly
If you want to use the earthslam combo, just be close to the pillar and hold sneak, around 1-2 seconds possibly, then the earthpillar will be shaped like what is seen above, also rotating while you look elsewhere, clicking will blast the earthpillar.
Minecraft/Singleplayer/Creative? Well I was asking where the earthslam structure will be shaped in what place, not what you answer for. I have readed the description of yours, and understood that is made from a pre-placed pillar, so presumambly it will be maded where the former pillar was. So disregard my this question :p

FearlessPie121

Verified Member
" One suggestion per suggestion thread "

Also, I stand to disagree with part of your claim. That's just it, earth isn't flexible; earth is straight-forward.
As Toph claimed with Aang in Bitter Work "there's no different angle, no different trickity trick, you have to face the rock head on"
Earth is solid

Solid
sol·id
ˈsäləd/
adjective
  1. firm and stable in shape; not liquid or fluid.

FearlessPie121

Verified Member
It's not really meant to be a real suggestion for the moves, it's to show what kind of possibilities you can have.
And with earth being straight forward it makes sense but if you put that in minecraft it would be dry.
This would still keep earth straight forward, but open to more choices of abilities.
Oh no. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying is that whatever happens to earth, it should maintain its form as the element of Substance and Resistant ( solid ). Then again, different forms don't count (sand, mud, ect..)

Hero

Verified Member
" One suggestion per suggestion thread "

Also, I stand to disagree with part of your claim. That's just it, earth isn't flexible; earth is straight-forward.
As Toph claimed with Aang in Bitter Work "there's no different angle, no different trickity trick, you have to face the rock head on"
Earth is solid

Solid
sol·id
ˈsäləd/
adjective
  1. firm and stable in shape; not liquid or fluid.
Ugh, being fluid and being flexible are different. I believe earth should be more flexible in terms of being able to adapt in situations. Earth as of right now is too straight forward and is easily the weakest element when they arent on the ground (of course, but still).

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Except for the OP, I see nobody offering solutions instead of just complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.