• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Ice Drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
Introduction: In the show, it has been shown that a Waterbender can create an ice drill via freezing a rapidly-moving, rotating stream of water, as shown by Unalaq and Ming-Hua in the show:

Usage: Similar to how an earthbender can use earthtunnel, ice drill would enable the waterbender to dig into the ground, cliffs, mountains, etc.

Workings: The ice drill would create either a continuous stream of water from a source ending in ice that would act as a drill, or 2 blocks of ice in front of the user that act as a drill (Haven't decided yet). Now that I think about it, the stream could be used when using a water source, and the 2 blocks of ice could be used when using a waterbottle. The first one would require clicking on the source, then holding shift to drill, and the second one would require holding shift to drill with a waterbottle in the inventory. In case this is too OP, the drill could last only a certain number of blocks, and perhaps have a certain cooldown time. The ice drill would work like Earthtunnel (besides these 2 restrictions, if you choose to implement the said restrictions), but would have a smaller radius than earthtunnel.

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
Well, plenty of elements have abilities that tend to cross into the bounds of other elements. airbubble enables the temporary removal of water, and heat control enables cooling lava. Digging is also somewhat practical, such as searching for stuff like iron underground, it can also be used to escape from earthbender traps, trailing an earthbender who has escaped underground. It could also be used to find hidden water sources in the event of a lack of water or fighting underground, or dig an opponent underground, etc. and I have certainly stated in my descriptions of the proposed ability that it certainly would not work to the extent of earthtunnel, so as not to impede on earthbenders' domain, just as airbubble does not work to the extent of waterbubble, so as to not impede upon Waterbenders' domain.

KnRealm

Verified Member
I think this could work but probably only if ice became a "sub-element" of water almost like metal benders and the extraction ability

Immallama

Verified Member
Not too sure about this. Giving waterbenders the ability to drill through earth at all kind of defeats the purpose of actually bending earth.

cookiem42

Verified Member
I was actually thinking about this move. I do think it should break ground (like Ming Hua did) but not much. I like the idea, but I'm thinking if it should be a move or combo. Like water manip, ice blast ice blast, water manip. Then Ice Drill is triggered

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
I think a separate move would be better, ice drill is quite unrelated to the other abilities. And I do think Ice drill is a good idea. For one thing, several other elements have abilities that are effectively smaller-scale, less powerful versions of abilities from other elements. In my plans, ice drill would effectively work like earthtunnel, but a weaker, less powerful version of it that has a smaller radius, and possibly a stopping and cooldown time, if need be.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I was actually thinking about this move. I do think it should break ground (like Ming Hua did) but not much. I like the idea, but I'm thinking if it should be a move or combo. Like water manip, ice blast ice blast, water manip. Then Ice Drill is triggered
Ming drilled through ice, which is easier to break then stone or other ground related stuff (expect for dirt)

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
Ming drilled through ice, which is easier to break then stone or other ground related stuff (expect for dirt)
How do you know every bit of it was ice? and Unalaq attempted to drill through a portal. And, waterbending can cut through steel (Book 2 episode The Drill). I am pretty sure an ice drill would be capable of drilling through earth.

David

Verified Member
I like this idea a lot actually. It makes it so Waterbenders finally have a solid way of getting through the Earth Grab spamming earthbenders.

Yes, Frost Breath and Water Wave/Spout work well for getting out of Earth Grab, but they can easily be stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.