• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

How bending works

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Evidence or reason behind that?
Yakone. He developed his bloodbending to the point where he could do it with no movement.
Also, bending is fueled by martial arts movement - so it would be even more difficult to bend anything in that matter.
Very wrong. You can bend without knowing a martial art, take toph for example. She learned from badger moles, not learning a martial art.

Dr_CrossFire

Verified Member
Within the show, elements could be manipulated using specific movements. Earthbenders make rigid and heavy movements, because earth is rigid and heavy; you wouldn't be able to bend earth using fluent movements, because earth isn't fluid. Bending isn't martial arts, rather, it's a means of manipulating elements. The movements themselves aren't meant for fighting by manipulating your body, but rather, manipulating the elements around you. Chiblocking, however, is classified as a martial art as they use jabs, punches and kicks that connect with the enemy's body.

Production-wise, martial art styles were picked that resembled the elements closest: tai chi for its fluid forms, a certain style of kung fu for its rigid style and solid footing, etc. They are purely used for aesthetic purposes, and what their movements represent.

Also, something that wasn't noted in the first post is that bending originated from lion turtles.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Very wrong. You can bend without knowing a martial art, take toph for example. She learned from badger moles, not learning a martial art.
Fine, she learned from badgermoles the martial art. Hers is based off a southern prying mantis....something, which was stated by the show creators and the martial artist expert. My point is she didn't walk around flapping her wings like a chicken just to throw a huge boulder at someone. She used proper physical "exercise" to execute respective bending technique.

Last edited:

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
They are purely used for aesthetic purposes, and what their movements represent.
Doubtful, if you're referring to the benders and not the audience. Katara wouldn't suck at creating a water whip while looking at the illustrated scroll that represents movement, she already would know and done them beforehand and Aang after her fail attempt wouldn't be explaining on what stance she must be standing.

Ignore this reply!

Dr_CrossFire

Verified Member
Doubtful, if you're referring to the benders and not the audience. Katara wouldn't suck at creating a water whip while looking at the illustrated scroll that represents movement, she already would know and done them beforehand and Aang after her fail attempt wouldn't be explaining on what stance she must be standing.

Ignore this reply!
In the show, yes. But I was pointing out the diferences in what the original martial arts signify in the show and in its production. Ultimately, the creators of Avatar based bending's aesthetics on martial arts because it simply looks cool and would fit with the show's theme. That's what I meant with aesthetic purposes.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
For example, lets say bending was a recessive gene, Katara and Aang both have 2 reccessive genes for bending. (We will assume that the element they can bend is a different gene.) So,
b b
b bb bb
b bb bb

There is a 100% Chance that all of their children would be benders, and then there is Bumi, before you say Mutation, Mutation has a very small chance of occurring and it if it were to occur how could it occur in so many people in the population.
Did you also account for Kataras family being non-benders? Katara would have a bender and non-bender trait that she could have passed along. And we don't know Aangs inheritance so... To do that punnet square correctly you would do Bb (for both bending and non-bending inherited genes) and leave Aang blank unless you are for certain no non-bender genes were passed to him. Let's assume he was a full bender, no non-bender genes.

According to the information in the quote.
B: Non-bender
b: Bener

Katara: Bb
Aang: bb

B b
b Bb bb
b Bb bb

Aang had non-bender traits

Katara: Bb
Aang: Bb

B b
B BB Bb
b Bb bb

The second option has a bit more diversity as far as genes go so I would think it's safe to assume that both Katara and Aang have bender AND non-bender genes. As far as the ratios go.
Lol long post xD

Last edited:

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
In the show, yes. But I was pointing out the diferences in what the original martial arts signify in the show and in its production. Ultimately, the creators of Avatar based bending's aesthetics on martial arts because it simply looks cool and would fit with the show's theme. That's what I meant with aesthetic purposes.
And that's why I asked to ignore my reply before this.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
You could, but half your state its pretty much obvious to everyone. If one cartoon charactor thrust his or her hands to form/create tsunami, it doesn't necessary apply to all the other cartoons who are water manipulaters. Different cartoon and tv show characters (required to) use their own gestures, such as Ninjas from "Naturo" use the gun aimed at the sky thingy hand position. If the show produced them bending without any movements, just with their mind, you know how boring it would be to watch the series.

I didn't read your reply properly, because I tought you were talking about bending's movement isn't a priority for the whole power things to work inside the avatar world. That's why I said ignore my reply and repeated it again, because I had misinterpeted yours (sorry about that).