• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Help with learning Java and spigot/PK api?

Sshawarma

Verified Member
Okay....so I don't usually ask for help because usually everything is pretty straight-forward and easy to follow with configuring PK and stuff. However, recently i have been getting into learning Java (like all of last week). I have been following tutorials pretty well and can now make simple plugins like and MOTD or simple command based ones (restore health hunger send message etc.). However, i am still really new to it (ofc) and don't understand too much when it comes to using the PK API (i figured that making abilities would be the first thing i would try to make after getting a basic basic understanding of Java). Back to the point: Can any of you devs and experienced people give me suggestions on to further increase my understanding of java and the spigot and PK APIs. Sorry if it was a long post, but its something i'm kinda determined to learn :)

PS: Is coding something that you guys caught onto quickly or something that took time and practice?

StrangeOne101

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Yup. It's good to see another person keen to learn how things work :D

If you want help with stuff or suggestions on improving your knowledge, I could always give you plugin tasks to do to help build up your knowledge or something...? I know it's not PK stuff but even with prior plugin knowledge, PK took me a while to get my head around xD

Some example tasks might be things like make a basic plugin that hurts you when you hit emerald ore. Once you've done that, maybe something like Shift-Clicking chests with items in your hand puts it in the chest for you? Things like that.

But if you do wanna learn PK stuff, we can of course help with that too :3 Just hit me or another one of the devs up via PM or something. ;)

Also to answer your last question: Haha, NOPE. Coding takes quite a long time to grasp and get the full understanding off so don't worry if there's still lots of confusion :) (I taught myself how to do java with no real tutorials. Do NOT recommend xD )

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Okay....so I don't usually ask for help because usually everything is pretty straight-forward and easy to follow with configuring PK and stuff. However, recently i have been getting into learning Java (like all of last week). I have been following tutorials pretty well and can now make simple plugins like and MOTD or simple command based ones (restore health hunger send message etc.). However, i am still really new to it (ofc) and don't understand too much when it comes to using the PK API (i figured that making abilities would be the first thing i would try to make after getting a basic basic understanding of Java). Back to the point: Can any of you devs and experienced people give me suggestions on to further increase my understanding of java and the spigot and PK APIs. Sorry if it was a long post, but its something i'm kinda determined to learn :)

PS: Is coding something that you guys caught onto quickly or something that took time and practice?
To answer your PS question first, I started 2015 february.

I have a youtube tutorial series which I am going to redo, but you can use the current once for now (al though I recommend waiting for a new series).

Sshawarma

Verified Member
THX so much :D, it means a lot since i feel lost a lot of the time and now know that it is normal. I'll definitely keep a look out for your tutorials Finn (already subscribed to your YT channel). And if i need help after completing a couple of other YT tutorials on creating bukkit/spigot plugins, i'll definitely come to you guys (if you all are willing to help of course, i can understand if you don't).