• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Fire Blast Redirection

Status
Not open for further replies.

paliate

Verified Member
I can't envision this, so i'm going to have to say that i don't think that it is a good idea, nor would i ever want to see this happen.
Just my opinion though.

Dr_CrossFire

Verified Member
Ima post what I posted in another thread like this one:

Most fire attacks were blocked by more fire or simply withstood, not redirected. Redirection, as mentioned by Iroh when teaching Zuko to redirect lightning, was something he found out by studying waterbending. That's the element of change. Fire isn't meant to redirect fire, beit his opponent's blast of fire, or his own.

Something I could get behind though, is curved fireblasts. When launching a FireBlast, similar to how AirSweep works, you can move your cursor and it will curve that way slightly. Slightly. Liek this:

Moonelight

Verified Member
So I log back in after I've gone sleep to see my notifications full of Fly liking my posts xD

Back on topic, again as much as I can see the reasoning behind this, I don't really agree with this suggestion. My reasoning is that fire is mainly straight shots that don't curve or bend, so my first point is how would you make it look nice if it were to curve?

My second point is, because of the fire particles being fairly dense, no one is going to notice/see if the fire was redirected.

My last point is that with Water and Earth redirection, the moves have two separate uses due to the need of source selection, so if I was to redirect EarthBlast for example, I would just left click, this would redirect the earth without creating another Blast, now if I were to do this with Fire, it would create yet another fireblast which in my opinion would get confusing and annoying, what if you did not want to redirect a shot coming at you? You'd soon get pissed real quick if you're being attacked. I've noticed redirection is hard to land a hit for some weird reason, it's not down to my aim, it's more the blocks just don't hit the player, Water literally goes up and over the players head and Earth just disappears. This could also be the case with fire.

Hopefully this is more constructive and you don't take offence from my comments
Haha, I didn't mean to spam you.
Due to Firebenders advancing over time they have led to becoming benders that use straight shots. That doesn't mean this ability doesn't lye there, infect it just means it has been less commonly used. Most redirection in a Firebender would be from lightning bending, but that's just an example.

I do see how the particles would eventually get the slightest bit messy, but that's just because I have really thought of a animation yet. And in reality, dense particles would help you see the move rather than blind you from it. I am guessing you're thinking the redirection would go straight through the path it took to get to you, my answer to that is maybe. The particles from the path would probably disappear in a reasonable amount of time. Or they might just thin out. I assure you that it would look fine. Not everything is immediately perfect, but I bet this move could become almost perfect of people help suggest things.

Oh and about how to redirect, I am (being a Firebenders) aware that when you click with Fire Blast it'll send out another path of fire. As I stated in the original post, I am not sure as to what would be the best gesture to command the redirection to happen. Right now I am pretty fixated on the "Tap Shift" idea. Similar to Lightning Redirection, so it would be easy to pick up. And in my opinion, wouldn't you rather have redirection be where it sometimes doesn't hit you rather than always be a 100% garunteed shot?

Don't worry I don't take anything offensive, I do what it takes to help get s move added :x

Moonelight

Verified Member
Ima post what I posted in another thread like this one:

Most fire attacks were blocked by more fire or simply withstood, not redirected. Redirection, as mentioned by Iroh when teaching Zuko to redirect lightning, was something he found out by studying waterbending. That's the element of change. Fire isn't meant to redirect fire, beit his opponent's blast of fire, or his own.

Something I could get behind though, is curved fireblasts. When launching a FireBlast, similar to how AirSweep works, you can move your cursor and it will curve that way slightly. Slightly. Liek this:

Honestly I don't think you're looking at the proof, Wan redirected the fire that was thrown at him. I don't see why you don't think Fire benders can't redirect fire? I'll get a gif once I get on the computer.

Fire's redirection is a flowing like motion with similar to waterbending. The move shows how fire is an extension of the body rather than a combat tool. The reason you most often saw Firebenders blocking moves rather than redirecting them is because new fighting styles. This technique is from a different fighting style than ones many others use, therefor not being used often.
image.jpg
This is the closest I could get to a gif, only because I am on my phone. Watch him, he takes the fire thrown at him and turns it around at the hunters. This proves you wrong when you say that Firebenders can't redirect fire.

DanStryder

Verified Member
I like the idea of tapping shift but besides that, it would be really messy, you may as well FireBurst because of how many particles would be there, that's not me hating on FireBurst nor Fire seeing as I used main fire before Lava Bending came out

owlcool

Verified Member
Honestly I don't think you're looking at the proof, Wan redirected the fire that was thrown at him. I don't see why you don't think Fire benders can't redirect fire? I'll get a gif once I get on the computer.

Fire's redirection is a flowing like motion with similar to waterbending. The move shows how fire is an extension of the body rather than a combat tool. The reason you most often saw Firebenders blocking moves rather than redirecting them is because new fighting styles. This technique is from a different fighting style than ones many others use, therefor not being used often.
View attachment 624
This is the closest I could get to a gif, only because I am on my phone. Watch him, he takes the fire thrown at him and turns it around at the hunters. This proves you wrong when you say that Firebenders can't redirect fire.
He was a master trained by dragons redirecting new firebender's fire. Definitely not a outlier.

Moonelight

Verified Member
He was a master trained by dragons redirecting new firebender's fire. Definitely not a outlier.
Anyone can be as good of a master as him. He was trained by spirits. Face it, redirection is a fire move. By the way, that dragon you saw was only once seen. He was trained by ALL the spirits. Dragons were masters, but that doesn't mean they are the best. Wan was equal in level of bending to all average Firebenders in LOK.

And they weren't new t firebending, they were unskilled.

owlcool

Verified Member
Anyone can be as good of a master as him. He was trained by spirits. Face it, redirection is a fire move. By the way, that dragon you saw was only once seen. He was trained by ALL the spirits. Dragons were masters, but that doesn't mean they are the best. Wan was equal in level of bending to all average Firebenders in LOK.

Did you actually see him train? He was trained by dragons, and I am pretty sure Wan redirecting that fire is symbolic in him mastering fire as the first avatar. Him redirecting fireblasts from "tool" benders seems impressive at first, but the same thing has never been done elsewhere. Not quite common. Besides, why would you want Agni Kai's to consist of firebenders spamming and redirecting fireblast? The lack of redirection forces you to either block it, or dodge it, making for a mobile fight. If you can't see that you are biased.

Last edited:

owlcool

Verified Member
Did you actually see him train? He was trained by dragons, and I am pretty sure Wan redirecting that fire is symbolic in him mastering fire as the first avatar.
Besides, why would you want Agni Kai's to consist of firebenders spamming and redirecting fireblast? The lack of redirection forces you to either block it, or dodge it, making for a mobile fight. If you can't see that you are biased.
image.jpg
Look at that, he learned from a dragon.

owlcool

Verified Member

Mhm, if dragons were just masters, what did this mean then? image.jpg

Moonelight

Verified Member
You're taking something small overboard. Any Firebender can master the power to redirect a blast of fire thrown at them, you just have to train.

And once again, I believe I am quoting you.
The show is over, it is time we start inventing some things that are possible
http://projectkorra.com/forum/threads/waterbending-ability-potionbending.1603/#post-18731

Wan was a legend, and so is every Avatar. Any person can master any ability. And given that this is minecraft, we should be focusing on how it could change things rather than if it is possible or not. Which clearly, it is.

//once again you are arguing with me for no reason, acting like you own this thread. well honey guess what, you don't//

Moonelight

Verified Member
And I am definitely not saying this will be added, but I am saying I want others to realize that there are more ideas out there than the constantly suggested ones (water arms for example).

I feel like it is more important to show ideas rather than keep them in, even if they do get denied or bad reviews. Being creative, and possibly helping others think of brand new ideas is something I love to do.

Gamzee

God Tier Member
Verified Member
I think this move is fine, but I do not think we should be using "the show is over" excuse for moves just yet. As there are many moves still left to be made from the 7 seasons of ATLA and LoK combined.

Not hating on the move though, I totally support it.

TheBlueSpirit

Verified Member
I think this move is fine, but I do not think we should be using "the show is over" excuse for moves just yet. As there are many moves still left to be made from the 7 seasons of ATLA and LoK combined.

Not hating on the move though, I totally support it.
I don't think it's really necessary to add this move. I mean, sure, it would be cool, but why do we need something as complex as this when we can do what we've been doing for a while: Blocking or dodging it then shooting blasts of our own. Just because Wan did something that looked cool to turn back a bunch of firetossers doesn't mean we need to add it. It's not in the spirit of Firebending either, which is all about short harsh and quick bursts of power. Redirection is more of a water thing. Also, in response to the conversation earlier: 1. Fire isn't underpowered. 2. While it would be cool, we don't need this move.

Moonelight

Verified Member
I don't think it's really necessary to add this move. I mean, sure, it would be cool, but why do we need something as complex as this when we can do what we've been doing for a while: Blocking or dodging it then shooting blasts of our own. Just because Wan did something that looked cool to turn back a bunch of firetossers doesn't mean we need to add it. It's not in the spirit of Firebending either, which is all about short harsh and quick bursts of power. Redirection is more of a water thing. Also, in response to the conversation earlier: 1. Fire isn't underpowered. 2. While it would be cool, we don't need this move.
you're all about not allowing redirection for fire :x
It happened in the show, so stop saying its not meant for fire:

DanStryder

Verified Member
I think you are both showing you ages at this current moment, I'm sure if you actually talked about this maturely, you both wouldn't get so much hate.

As for Redirection of Fire, it was possible for Wan to do it, he was teach by a white dragon, I'll let that settle in for a moment, I don't think we can learn fire bending from the end dragon so chill out please, would be much a appreciated.

I don't wanna make you feel bad or that your idea is bad, but I agree with BlueSpirit and Owl, I don't like the idea of redirecting FireBlast, the controls of it and how messy it would look really put me off this idea. There's only one example here that happens once here and that's against weak fire benders who didn't really have much control of the fire in the first place, Wan was a protégé of the dragons, if he wasn't able to deflect and redirect the fire, I'd be worried. I don't know of anymore times when fire is redirected, it's always blocked or dodged.

As for curved fire, we already have a lot of there, the combos, blaze, burst, walloffire and technically firejet, they work due to how sparse the particles are or otherwise it's MC fire that's being created.

Now everyone chill out and have a bit of respect for one another, you don't have to be best of friends but it'd be nice if we didn't have such hostility in the forums...

owlcool

Verified Member
Just because it happened in the show does not mean it is in the spirit of the element. After all, I doubt that waterbenders should be able to make huge water galiathes, just because it was in the show.

TheBlueSpirit

Verified Member
You're right. I'm all about not allowing fire redirection. If you read my argument, you'll see why. Just because it was in the show doesn't mean it should necessarily be added, which is also (maybe a little too vaguely, sorry) explained in my argument when I call the people he redirected it against firetossers. If you're going to change my mind you're going to need a little bit stronger of an argument .-.

Status
Not open for further replies.