• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Suggestion Earthbending Ability - EarthDirect

Gamzee

God Tier Member
Verified Member
A little break of format as I'm writing an introduction to this one! I'm sure we all know that Earth suffers from a lack of consistent damage that doesn't rely on spamming. In this ability I try to combine the greatest strength of Earth, manipulating the battleground, and incorporate it into an interesting offensive move.

Ability: EarthDirect
Element: Earth
Type: Offense
Damage: 5 damage (2.5 hearts)
Range: 16 blocks
Cooldown: 5 seconds
Description:
Hold shift and use left click to drag a 3x3x3 chunk of earth blocks from a maximum of 16 blocks away. There is a 0.5 second delay before firing. If this chunk hits an enemy, it deals 5 damage and drags the enemy with it. If the player stops holding shift then the ability ends and the chunk stops moving. Stops if it hits a solid block. The chunk can not change Y value.
Use left click on a 3x3x1 chunk of earth blocks when you are at least 3 blocks away to launch the chunk at least 15 blocks. There is a 0.t second delay before firing. Enemies hit by the chunk take 5 damage and are pushed out of the way. Stops if it hits a solid block. Can not change Y value.
Uses: So you're probably thinking this is kinda underwhelming or something, but this ability truly opens up some interesting possibilities. A low HP firebender is running away from you, you could activate RaiseEarth, then use EarthDirect to pull part of the wall towards you, and the enemy with it. Say a chiblocker is running towards you, use RaiseEarth, the EarthDirect on the new wall, pushing a chunk of wall towards the enemy, combining offense with defense. This could also be used to break into enemy RaiseEarths without spamming Collapse.

Sorry if this was confusing! Please leave critism! <3

Last edited:

Gamzee

God Tier Member
Verified Member
Why not suggest changing up EarthSmash a bit? Seems just like it
Sorry but not even similar! You summon EarthSmash from the ground, you can aim it, and it has an established use. This you have to use preexisting terrain and you can not aim it up or down, but it lets you open holes in walls and drag people towards you/push them to the side!

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
This is a weird one. Dragging players airstream alike sense? Hell no. Doesn't follow canon lore. Having a LARGE chunk of earth manipulated with a flick of a finger just seems... so wrong. It's not even chargable, so how would expect anyone to easily dodge it? Sure, you can argue "Not everything has to follow", but I would expect it to keep consistency what earthbenders could do. Manipulation the direction of a large boulder AFTER while it's fired and approaching someone isn't just realistic or accurate from the show. Not mention, overpowered in terms that If you missed your opponent = no problem, just scoop it like a hit-missile torrent to the opponent again.
This you have to use preexisting terrain
I do feel like this is suitable and be implanted to earthsmash, because it just feels rights and would make more systematic. Kind of unfortunate that you can only charge from smooth flooring, and only being limited to that (unable to just pick one from walls or ceiling).

Last edited:

NickC1211

Verified Member
This sounds really similar to earthsmash. I saw a suggestion once about making it so that earthsmash can move any 3x3x3 or smaller blocks.

Gamzee

God Tier Member
Verified Member
This is a weird one. Dragging players airstream alike sense? Hell no. Doesn't follow canon lore. Having a LARGE chunk of earth manipulated with a flick of a finger just seems... so wrong. It's not even chargable, so how would expect anyone to easily dodge it? Sure, you can argue "Not everything has to
First, you can not manipulate it after it has been fired. It just drags towards you. It can't change Y values so it can only drag across the ground. And it's still only 3x3, most benders have something to dodge that. Also there would be a small delay in activating, think I forgot to include that.
Manipulation the direction of a large boulder AFTER while it's fired and approaching someone isn't just realistic or accurate from the show.
No one where do I say you can manipulate it after it is fired. It can only drag towards you or be fired away from you. In terms of canon, think of it as someone simply pushing a wall as a projectile or pulling a wall towards them.
Not mention, overpowered in terms that If you missed your opponent = no problem, just scoop it like a hit-missile torrent to the opponent again.
What? It's nothing like torrent. You can't change Y values, it stops on solid blocks, the out function only pushes players out of the way, AND you can only use preexisting terrain. There are a lot of weaknesses to the ability.
I do feel like this is suitable and be implanted to earthsmash, because it just feels rights and would make more systemati
EarthSmash already has its niche, this is hardly similar if you read my actual description.

Last edited:

Gamzee

God Tier Member
Verified Member
Changed to have it be a 3x3x2 section, more similar to a wall than boulder.

Also here are the differences and similarities between this and EarthSmash.

EarthSmash:
+Deals good damage
+Long range
+Can be summoned anywhere
+Can be aimed
+Can be riden
-There is a charge time
EarthDirect:
+Deals good damage
+Long range
+Can suprise enemies behind walls
+Can drag/knock back enemies
-Have to use preexisting terrain
-Can not aim up or down

Actually just found this ability suggestion that has the push section. So yeah, kind of like this but you can also drag walls towards you.
http://projectkorra.com/forum/threads/earthpush.6139/

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Ah, you meant by that. I remember that there was a suggestion that reference what Bumi did (he pulled a huge boulder towards himself in attempt to pounder Aang). I do like the idea now that I understood it. Not quite sure about the implementation though.

Gamzee

God Tier Member
Verified Member
Ah, you meant by that. I remember that there was a suggestion that reference what Bumi did (he pulled a huge boulder towards himself in attempt to pounder Aang). I do like the idea now that I understood it. Not quite sure about the implementation though.
Yeah. But I do think this ability is powerful, but I also think that's what Earth needs right now. Most Earth offensive devolves into spamming Shockwave, EarthBlast with the, occasional EarthSmash.

NickC1211

Verified Member
Yeah. But I do think this ability is powerful, but I also think that's what Earth needs right now. Most Earth offensive devolves into spamming Shockwave, EarthBlast with the, occasional EarthSmash.
What about some sort of combo for this

NickC1211

Verified Member
I think the move is pretty complex as it is, and kinda relies on being able to use fast. Combos take a while to pull off.
I just wouldn’t want to bind a whole move for that one function. Either it is a part of earthsmash or it has to be apart of a bigger move like earth manipulation

Gamzee

God Tier Member
Verified Member
I just wouldn’t want to bind a whole move for that one function. Either it is a part of earthsmash or it has to be apart of a bigger move like earth manipulation
I dont agree with that ultimatum. I think it brings enough to the table to be its own move, and considering Earth has few effective combat moves in the first place I think it shouldn't have trouble finding its place into the repertoire of the common user.