• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied (Earth) [Sand] Quicksand

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperBower118

Verified Member
Element: Earth

Sub-Element: Sand

Move Name: Quicksand

Move Type: Combo

Cooldown: 13 seconds

Description:
Earth could an Earth Combo and something Sand related, so I figured I'd create this.
Earthbenders were shown to be able to sink Earth in a matter similar to quicksand. I mean, it says it right in the wiki.

Therefore, this combo could be used to catch unsuspecting opponents off guard. While it's not quite the same as it was in the show, this is my idea, and I think that the general idea of adding an earth-sinking like ability would be beneficial to Earth to say the least.

The Combo would be Collapse (Right Click 2x) -> EarthGrab (Hold Sneak) -> EarthGrab (Left Click 1x)
This would effectively launch the EarthGrab projectile that travels across the ground. However, this projectile would use blockcrack sandstone particles, and if it hits the opponent, it would create an area that looks like that this around them.

This is Stage 1

Stage 2:

Stage 3:

You progress through the stages by sneaking with Collapse at the area. The person that is trapped in the initial hole cannot jump out, has slowness 6, and can only get out by breaking a sandstone block that surrounds them. Quicksand can only "trap" one person, and anyone else in the sand has slowness 2 until they get off the sand. When you advance through the stages, anyone that is in the sand is drawn towards the center when you move through the Stages. For example, if a person is on the edge of the sand in Stage 1, and you collapse the sand to Stage 2, they would be drawn in to the center. They would not be able to go in the area that the trapped person is in. In Stage 3, you would start suffocating. However, like the rest of the stages, you would be able to end it by breaking the sandstone. When you break the sandstone, the ground would begin to revert to normal.

At the time that I took these pictures, I used the seamless sandstone slab block. However, upon testing how fast it is to break (which it isn't), I concluded that it'd be best to use sandstone blocks, as for they're easier to break and would cut the crap on this move.

EDIT 1: Also, Earthbenders have two options to break out of the move.
One would be to charge up catapult up to Stage 2, which would forcefully break the sandstone blocks that would normally surround the trapped person, and eject them up, ending the combo.

Earthbenders would also be able to ruin the quicksand, by charging up shockwave and releasing it, effectively shifting the sand quick enough that it disrupts the Earthbender's grip. This would be represented by ending the slowness effect on all players, and changing some of the sand to coarse dirt if it started on grass-y materials, or changing some of the sand to gravel if it started on stone-y materials. The default duration for each stage would be somewhere between 5 - 8 seconds, with a config option for the combo to progress a stage after the duration, or for it to just end.

EDIT 2: There would be config option to terminate the ability if LavaFlow warms up in the Quicksand.

Last edited:

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
The Combo would be Collapse (Right Click 2x) -> EarthGrab (Hold Sneak) -> EarthGrab (Left Click 1x)
@StrangeOne101 will be pissed that you mention RMB, lol.
When you advance through the stages, anyone that is in the sand is drawn towards the center when you move through the Stages.
A question, so these stages (like with Catapult's Tier system) will have duration before its moved to another one. So far I see this suggestion a balance way of sinking your opponents, not to quick but not to slow (oh wait, I don't even know the duration). Also, a see a minor problem: sometimes when you start suffocating in a 3x2x2 in stucture, you sometimes can't break blocks. Have you ever been frozen by a waterbender, and sometimes you just can't break the glass that your stuck inside? That situation may accure with this combo.

Last edited:

SuperBower118

Verified Member
@StrangeOne101 will be pissed that you mention RMB, lol.
Eh right click isn't that bad if the feature is grounded IMO, like firewheel, which requires ground.
A question, so these stages (like with Catapult's Tier system) will have duration before its moved to another one.
I actually forgot to mention it. The Duration would be about 5 - 8 seconds, with a config option that when that interval ends, you'll either advance to the next stage or the combo will end.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
which requires ground.
Which brings up a compelling argument. There's always been people saying that Earth needs to be grounded, it's in their nature. Requiring them to be ON the ground actually fits. They'll HAVE to be near a block to the ground to execute this combo which supports the thought process of "earthbenders need to stay grounded"

SuperBower118

Verified Member
Which brings up a compelling argument. There's always been people saying that Earth needs to be grounded, it's in their nature. Requiring them to be ON the ground actually fits. They'll HAVE to be near a block to the ground to execute this combo which supports the thought process of "earthbenders need to stay grounded"
Yeah, I mean, with this combo, you already have to be on the ground for EarthGrab (unless I'm mistaken), so I figured that I wouldn't add another line of text to the suggestion.

Also, I'm going to add a way for Earthbenders to break out of this with their bending, probably two ways, one by reverting it, one that's more forceful.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Yeah, I mean, with this combo, you already have to be on the ground for EarthGrab (unless I'm mistaken), so I figured that I wouldn't add another line of text to the suggestion.

Also, I'm going to add a way for Earthbenders to break out of this with their bending, probably two ways, one by reverting it, one that's more forceful.
Like if an earthbender holds shift with the move while submerged then the ground around them will "burst"???

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Eh right click isn't that bad if the feature is grounded IMO, like firewheel, which requires ground.
Except there's a backstory why he doesn't like it. It's something about activating and than after cancelling immediately the event or something yada yada. He can fill you whenever he does decide.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Okay, I realize this might pain real quick as I can lavabenders being annoying and making a lavaflow conjuction gimmick with this combo. Though of a solution: should only burn what's surrounds the victim, therefor leaving the space untouch where they're standing (well, actually sinking) so that they could escape the situation.

SuperBower118

Verified Member
Okay, I realize this might pain real quick as I can lavabenders being annoying and making a lavaflow conjuction gimmick with this combo.
Well I mean, that's also Earthbending, so I don't really see what's the matter with it.
Regardless, I'll add a config option in the suggestion that'll cancel this ability if Lavaflow is warming up in it.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Well I mean, that's also Earthbending, so I don't really see what's the matter with it.
Regardless, I'll add a config option in the suggestion that'll cancel this ability if Lavaflow is warming up in it.
And they might even manage to hold that combo for the other stages, as I can see those peskyi lavaflowers using this gimmick in the combo sooner as a conjuction

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
One would be to charge up catapult up to Stage 2, which would forcefully break the sandstone blocks that would normally surround the trapped person, and eject them up, ending the combo.
Airbenders should also escape. Remember what Aang did?

*Looks through the gif gallery.... Fails to find it* Anyway, look up Aang vs Bumi reference. Tornado should do the trick, as displayed.

SuperBower118

Verified Member
Airbenders should also escape. Remember what Aang did?

*Looks through the gif gallery.... Fails to find it* Anyway, look up Aang vs Bumi reference. Tornado should do the trick, as displayed.
Hmm... Tornado gives me an idea. I'll update the post soon enough.

Vahagn

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
While your idea provides many utilities for earth and constructs an entirely new strategy for Earthbending, this suggestion has 2 inexcusable flaws preventing me from accepting them. The first flaw pertains to the duration in between each stage of the ability. In your suggestion you state that there will be a 5-8 second duration in between each stage, and that if you break the sandstone the ability will end, that all in all is a great idea, if you want the move to be utterly useless, it takes 4 seconds to break sandstone without a tool, making it painfully easy to get out of this ability rendering it frankly quite useless in a player vs player match. The second inexcusable fault with this ability is that it allows the user to trap one player while permitting the slowing of other players, and in the time they are slowed, especially for waterbenders and chi blockers, can be killed using lavaflow or earthblast spam.

But while this suggestion has inexcusable faults, I believe they can be improved upon and that this is an avenue of Earthbending we should further explore. I will have to deny this suggestion dissapointedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.