• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Debate: Charging FireBlast on Cooldown and here's why

SuperBower118

Verified Member
Since the Debate Section isn't coming I might as well just use this.

Charging FireBlast is essential to Firebending. You can use FireCombos all you want, but chances are, you can and will be easily overrun close-range. Waterbenders with bottles can surprisingly spam WaterManip with efficiency, almost like AirSwipe. Earthbenders can spam EarthBlast, have Catapult to disengage, and if they do the sacred EarthSmash - Launch Up and Shoot Combo, then if you don't use FireJet, you're guaranteed to get hit if you're relatively close to the Earthbender. Airbenders can disengage at literally any moment in close range combat, and can disrupt you with AirSweep or Twister. While you can keep up a good fight at close range, Fire at the moment just isn't built for sustained close-range combat with other elements (Elements, not chi blocking. Chi gets destroyed by Fire most of the time. What do you expect from a Non-bender?)

Charging FireBlast while it's on cooldown was a feature from the old days, and Firebenders made good use of it. While some would argue that all you would do is spam it, what else do Firebenders have that is ranged? This could be argued back with the old lightning, since it was a viable move, but those days are over. Combustion is handy, but it can't substitute for a charged up move like FireBlast or the old Lightning. It can be easily countered or dodged at a medium-far range. We have FireWheel, but that's more or less cannon fodder. Useful against Earth, but realistically, against an airblast jumping airbender it's not going to hit often. And against someone in the water there is 0 chance of it hitting at all. It can be used for Pressure, but it's no substitute for a good Charged FireBlast.

Let's make up a scenario and say that WaterManipulation and Torrent at it's current state were combined. Both to damage and are both controllable. Both are essentially water blasts at the moment, so let's say you have WaterBlast and you decide to use the WaterManip feature. If there's a cooldown on it, then you're essentially stuck with either IceSpike or Blast as backup ammo to shoot at benders. Now if you decided to send a watermanip, you can't exactly follow up with a swift torrent. If this change was to occur at this moment, I can only imagine the outrage that Waterbenders would face.

So tell me again. Why shouldn't Firebenders be able to Charge FireBlast while it's on cooldown? Is it because Fire is apparently the strongest element? Because it's not. We get overpowered by plenty of moves with our little defense. We only have one burst of mobility that can save us from a myriad of situations that other benders can put us in and easily escape out of if they were in it. Say if Firebending were to get a total revamp, then sure, go ahead and keep it removed. However, at the moment, having this ability would allow Firebenders to actually maximize the effectiveness of Charged FireBlast, along with their jets.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Too bad I can't contributed to the issue you addressed, because I have so little experence with fire. I do agree about the waterbending analogy. I would be pissed off If that was borked too.