• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Creating New Sub Abilities, For Players

Do you think that pk should incorporate some sort of way to create new sub abilities ?

• Total voters

Switch

Verified Member
Hey,
as I'm guessing many people have either thought of this or thought of something similar, but I would be quite great full if anyone could tell me how exactly I would create a new sub ability, eg; Wood Bending ? But you get the point.

Either this way, or the devs creating some thing in pkCore to allow people to create their own bending subs, like wood bending. And I'm sure you guys are asking "Why don't you just ask the devs to make the sub bending stuffs ?" Well, This specifically would be to allow the servers running pk to be more unique to other servers, as some might have wood bending and another might have steam bending. "But won't we need to get the devs to make the moves for the sub abilities ?" Yes this will be true for people who do not know how to code java & java script, but this would mean that anyone, somewhat interested in making moves for their server to hook into pk would need to learn this, and therefore, get more people interested in making pk moves for people in forums, eg; More moves could be asked for and then they would be more likely to be created. So the pk forums would be much more alive with downloads as there don't seem to be many coming through.

But still I would generally like to either see this come into the pk core ( or something along those lines ) or just some general info on how to make a new sub ability.

Last edited:

StrangeOne101

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
So you are requesting that core allows server owners to create their own sub-elements without knowing how to code...?

I hate to say it but, it'd be hard to do. Not just for the developers to code it, but how would we let server owners do it? How can they configure it the way they want?

Anyway, skipping that... Creating a subelement isn't that hard at all! :)

If you are going to make a SubElement, though, it MUST be through a custom plugin and not an addon ability. This is because you have to create the subelement, create a new ability class that uses your subelement, then the abilities that extend that (use that subelement). If you do this in an addon ability, you'll be trying to load an ability for a subelement that doesn't exist.

Hope that helps slightly. :)

Switch

Verified Member
Yep, sorry. "java or javascript". Didn't make that clear as i'm not specifically sure of which language they use. Now guessing that they use Javascript.

StrangeOne101

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Yep, sorry. "java or javascript". Didn't make that clear as i'm not specifically sure of which language they use. Now guessing that they use Javascript.
Not quite lol (it's okay, not many people know the difference)

Java is for applications like Minecraft and android apps (since Minecraft is in Java, we have to write in that too)
JavaScript is for things like websites. That's what makes all those fancy things happen like logging into a site, checking web forms if they are valid and in some cases, web apps (games).

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Hey,
as I'm guessing many people have either thought of this or thought of something similar, but I would be quite great full if anyone could tell me how exactly I would create a new sub ability, eg; Wood Bending ? But you get the point.

Either this way, or the devs creating some thing in pkCore to allow people to create their own bending subs, like wood bending. And I'm sure you guys are asking "Why don't you just ask the devs to make the sub bending stuffs ?" Well, This specifically would be to allow the servers running pk to be more unique to other servers, as some might have wood bending and another might have steam bending. "But won't we need to get the devs to make the moves for the sub abilities ?" Yes this will be true for people who do not know how to code java & java script, but this would mean that anyone, somewhat interested in making moves for their server to hook into pk would need to learn this, and therefore, get more people interested in making pk moves for people in forums, eg; More moves could be asked for and then they would be more likely to be created. So the pk forums would be much more alive with downloads as there don't seem to be many coming through.

But still I would generally like to either see this come into the pk core ( or something along those lines ) or just some general info on how to make a new sub ability.
*Sigh*

1. They would still need to know how to code to add new abilities to that sub (it would be pointless if they didn't and just created sub as an empty permission feature).
2. If staff worked on making permissions and ability non-coding friendly, it justs add an unnecessary, tedious and hard work for them to create vs just having the fans make itswelfs, which in my opinion would bs a sensible act. Yeah I know for mayority is not easy and time comsuming to learn java for the priorite purpose to just create a custom ability/sub, but why would want to put that hard work on the team. Not calling you selfish so don't get me wrong, but I think PK (team) has more important stuff to do beforehand than just starting to work on these right away, sooner.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
*Sigh*

1. They would still need to know how to code to add new abilities to that sub (it would be pointless if they didn't and just created sub as an empty permission feature).
2. If staff worked on making permissions and ability non-coding friendly, it justs add an unnecessary, tedious and hard work for them to create vs just having the fans make itswelfs, which in my opinion would bs a sensible act. Yeah I know for mayority is not easy and time comsuming to learn java for the priorite purpose to just create a custom ability/sub, but why would want to put that hard work on the team. Not calling you selfish so don't get me wrong, but I think PK (team) has more important stuff to do beforehand than just starting to work on these right away, sooner.
Though giving more introduction to the plugin's is a nice start as an acceptable task done by pk, as I think it wouldn't require to much job in making a descriptive post.

Switch

Verified Member
Yep, I get your point. However the reason that this might have been added, would be to let people that know how to code javascript moves and people that want to code moves ( that are willing to learn js ) giving them the opportunity to be able to make new moves for those subs, and to share them with the community. Not for people that do not want to make moves.

YourAverageNerd

Verified Member
Yep, I get your point. However the reason that this might have been added, would be to let people that know how to code javascript moves and people that want to code moves ( that are willing to learn js ) giving them the opportunity to be able to make new moves for those subs, and to share them with the community. Not for people that do not want to make moves.
It's all coded in Java. Learning javascript can be done in a week really (not saying you can produce anything good but still)

Switch

Verified Member
This is true, but i'm guessing people could just get the code from another move and edit that to their liking, this being a template to make more moves. Would really like to see the code for a template move.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
How does javascript has to with anything relative to this subject?

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Well you're sentient was just vague to "creating a sub" rather "creating a sub and an ability", so for my misconception.

Switch

Verified Member
Ehh,
I have no clue which programming language these devs use , I'll be happy to say java instead of js ( thought you would use js instead tho ?? )

Switch

Verified Member
And the disscussion is about "Creating sub abilities" not the moves, ( the moves were a topic for how people would make moves for the subs ), still about creating sub abilities, that the users can make

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I don't know why this needs to be said again, but java and javascript are not the same or in any way transmutable to one another. They have virtually no similarities amongst the coding style or uses. We stick to java because it is what we can use, javascript is for Web based programming.

Moving on, if people want more subelements and such, they can make them. Of course you'd need to know how to code in java, and a decent understanding of the pk api and such. There is no use in anymore discussion on the topic.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
And the disscussion is about "Creating sub abilities" not the moves, ( the moves were a topic for how people would make moves for the subs ), still about creating sub abilities, that the users can make
That again brings me to my first point:
You just can't give me a hilt without a blade, which makes the "sword" totally useless. (Analogy)