• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Combining moves to slots manually

Do you think /b db (moves) (move) should be a command to use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

6tijn

Verified Member
As you might have noticed, when lots of new moves get added, you'll have to abondon some other moves to make place for the new ones. Only 9 slots, only 9 abilities. In this suggestion I want to give benders the ability to bind everything.

Example: The element of water had 12 moves, but there are only 9 slots. Now, you can only use 9 moves of the 12 in a combat as waterbender.

the moves and how to activate them:

watermanip (activated by shift)
octopusform (activated by left click)
icespike
(activated by left click and shift)
torrent (activated by left click)
surge
waterwave
(activated by left click)
iceblast
(activated by shift)
waterspout
(activated by left clicking and shift)
phasechange
bloodbending
(activated by shift)
healingwaters
(activated by -)
waterbubble
(activated by -)

To solve the problem we have (12 moves, 9 slots) I'm suggesting to add a command /bending doublebind!

example: watermanip is activated by shift, octopusform by left clicking, so you can mix these two moves in to one slot with the command /bending doublebind watermanipulation octopusform or /b db watermanipulation octopusform. This slot would be called Watermanipulation/OctopusForm
When you are on this slot you can use watermanipulation by shift and also use octopusform by left clicking!

Examples: waterwave + iceblast, torrent + watermanipulation, bloodbending + octopusform, etc.

But what if both moves are activated by the same action (shift + shift or left click + left click)?
Then, an error would pop up when you type /b db (moves with same activating action). 'DoubleBinding inpossible, same activating action' example: /b db octopusform waterwave. Both activated by left clicking.

Some moves are not doublebindable, because they have no activating action or because they exist out of 2 abilities(icespike, surge, etc.). Moves like waterbubble, waterspout and healingwaters, icespike, surge and phasechange.

When using these combos: waterwave + iceblast, torrent + watermanipulation, bloodbending + octopusform. You can bind all 12 water bending moves to your 9 slots and use them all!

I used water as example, but you can also do /b db earthblast earthsmash, /b db catapult lavasurge, /b db ariswipe airshield, etc. etc.!

If you think this idea misses something, needs more improvement, you don't understand something or see a mistake, please tell! I'd be happy to make this suggestion better and improve it! Or if i made nay spelling or grammar errors! ;)

:D :)

Blockkkster

Verified Member
I like the concept and this is a good attempt at amending the "more abilities than slots" issue, but at the same time this isn't a full fix. Eventually there will be more than 18 moves, and that's assuming that every bending type can fit at least two moves on EVERY slot, which isn't necessarily possible. (I'm sorry I don't have any ideas to fix this :|)

6tijn

Verified Member
I agree. I wonder of it's possible to use right click as activator of a move. Then you could bind 3 moves to a slot.
Should I maybe make an other suggestion about using right clicking to activate moves?

AlexTheCoder

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I agree. I wonder of it's possible to use right click as activator of a move. Then you could bind 3 moves to a slot.
Should I maybe make an other suggestion about using right clicking to activate moves?
We had right click as an activator. People got extremely pissed off.

6tijn

Verified Member
you want illumination or tremorsense on at the same time.
What about a command like /bending toggle Offensive (/b t o)
It could toggle all moves that require an action. Waterbubble, illumination, tremorsense, etc. would still work, unless you do /bending toggle all (/b t a) That wouldn't be hard to code?
What do you think? :)

David

Verified Member
I kind of like the idea of there being more moves than slots, as it forces benders to think ahead in battles, what will they need the most, what strategy will help them the most... It also adds a sense of diversity and, even a little RPG, as every bender is different... I don't really know how to explain why I like this, other than it adds more strategy.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm not at all against this idea, I think it's great, although I do see my self running into problems... I think the ideas of combos, like FireCombo are much better, though.

Blockkkster

Verified Member
I kind of like the idea of there being more moves than slots, as it forces benders to think ahead in battles, what will they need the most, what strategy will help them the most... It also adds a sense of diversity and, even a little RPG, as every bender is different... I don't really know how to explain why I like this, other than it adds more strategy.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm not at all against this idea, I think it's great, although I do see my self running into problems... I think the ideas of combos, like FireCombo are much better, though.
You do understand that in the show the bender could use any move they want, right? That's the issue. Also, everyone isn't different, they all just drop the same moves.

David

Verified Member
You do understand that in the show the bender could use any move they want, right? That's the issue. Also, everyone isn't different, they all just drop the same moves.
Not necessarily, there is a huge difference between every bender. Bending is an art, it requires training and practice. If every Waterbender in the show had access to the same moves, same skills, then many of the fights we saw in the show would be much different. A good example is Tarloq vs Unuloq, Tarloq is more close combat and bash-em-up, while Unuloq is long ranged, and uses a serious of torrents and ice spikes.

Not every bender has the same skills as another bender does. Yes benders could use any move they want at any time, but no they can not use EVERY move, only the ones that they know and are proficient with. It's rare for a bender in the show to know every single move.

David

Verified Member
Yeah, those guys are called masters. -_-
They're called masters because they're extremely good at waterbending... Katara is a master water bender but doesn't know how to plant bend like the man from the Foggy Swamp Tribe... Tarloq is a master waterbender but doesn't know how to calm spirits with waterbending... Master Paku is a master waterbender but does not know spirit bending or blood bending... Hama is a master waterbender but does not know how to extend her blood bending to the point of taking someone's bending away; permanently... I can go on and on...

Kwesi

Verified Member
They're called masters because they're extremely good at waterbending... Katara is a master water bender but doesn't know how to plant bend like the man from the Foggy Swamp Tribe... Tarloq is a master waterbender but doesn't know how to calm spirits with waterbending... Master Paku is a master waterbender but does not know spirit bending or blood bending... Hama is a master waterbender but does not know how to extend her blood bending to the point of taking someone's bending away; permanently... I can go on and on...
What David points out is very true. Mastery in waterbending means that the waterbender can manipulate water with very great fluidity, precision and power.

Waterbenders will not all bend the same way, many things can contribute to that: physical capabilities, personality, origin of training, style taught, etc. David gave some good examples.

For a moment, if you were to look at earthbending. Toph is an earthbending master but bends in a completely different way due to the style she was taught and because of her blindness. While many other earthbenders tend to initiate power-driven attacks when quickly engaging, Toph tends to use a reactive style. Her style consists greatly of countering, sharp timing and precision in short bursts.

I kind of had a similar view on being limited to 9 abilities out of many more that you could use. It defines your style. There may be a sequence of certain techniques that you combine for a certain effect. Players could have their unique combinations of techniques, which means different completely different styles for completely different effects. It's exciting to think of all the different styles that could be out there and how they clash. It's a great sense of realism and it's really dynamic!!! :D

Although, I am also a fan of your idea. I think it's actually a great concept for the limited amount of slots player have. If something can be done then I suppose it could work. The only thing about this is over time it will become less and less effective as new abilities are being implemented. I fear that at a certain point it may become tedious for players to attempt or they won't bother because some new moves they like can't be doublebound because of even more similar activators.

I'd like to see how it goes though because this could really open doors. It's pretty innovative and could come in handy. :)

Blockkkster

Verified Member
What David points out is very true. Mastery in waterbending means that the waterbender can manipulate water with very great fluidity, precision and power.

Waterbenders will not all bend the same way, many things can contribute to that: physical capabilities, personality, origin of training, style taught, etc. David gave some good examples.

For a moment, if you were to look at earthbending. Toph is an earthbending master but bends in a completely different way due to the style she was taught and because of her blindness. While many other earthbenders tend to initiate power-driven attacks when quickly engaging, Toph tends to use a reactive style. Her style consists greatly of countering, sharp timing and precision in short bursts.

I kind of had a similar view on being limited to 9 abilities out of many more that you could use. It defines your style. There may be a sequence of certain techniques that you combine for a certain effect. Players could have their unique combinations of techniques, which means different completely different styles for completely different effects. It's exciting to think of all the different styles that could be out there and how they clash. It's a great sense of realism and it's really dynamic!!! :D

Although, I am also a fan of your idea. I think it's actually a great concept for the limited amount of slots player have. If something can be done then I suppose it could work. The only thing about this is over time it will become less and less effective as new abilities are being implemented. I fear that at a certain point it may become tedious for players to attempt or they won't bother because some new moves they like can't be doublebound because of even more similar activators.

I'd like to see how it goes though because this could really open doors. It's pretty innovative and could come in handy. :)
I meant they know all the forms, even if they don't utilize some of them.

Kwesi

Verified Member
I meant they know all the forms, even if they don't utilize some of them.
I know what you mean, but I think "forms" are very flexible and really have infinite possibilities. By "form" I'd imagine you mean the waterbending methods that would serve as bases for all other advanced waterbending techniques. I suppose in a way you're right, waterbending masters will be very familar with the basis of waterbending which would essentially unlock mastery of their element. However, I think there's more to it in another way. Water is a vast element and the amount of forms for the bending discipline could be far greater than we know. There could be other forms that would serve to unlock a competely different way to manipulate the water. I don't know that's just my vision of it, but I'm not saying you're wrong. XD

Last edited:

6tijn

Verified Member
Not necessarily, there is a huge difference between every bender. Bending is an art, it requires training and practice. If every Waterbender in the show had access to the same moves, same skills, then many of the fights we saw in the show would be much different. A good example is Tarloq vs Unuloq, Tarloq is more close combat and bash-em-up, while Unuloq is long ranged, and uses a serious of torrents and ice spikes.

Not every bender has the same skills as another bender does. Yes benders could use any move they want at any time, but no they can not use EVERY move, only the ones that they know and are proficient with. It's rare for a bender in the show to know every single move.
Well, the thing is: When you are in a fight and you see a perfect chance to deal great demage by one specific move, but then you remember you hadn't bind it... There goes your perfect attack. I know what you mean with not all benders should be able to do all types of bending, but then it's about bloodbend/plantbend/lavabend/etc. That would mean that you should choose in what bending subtype you want to specifice yourself in ingame, not about how many moves you can do. In the show benders could do every move they knew when ever they wanted, the subtypes didn't really had something to do with that, I think. I think it would be weird that as lavabender you can't use moves like earthsmash or eartharmor, because you need to have 3 lavabending moves bind. Maybe benders should only be able to use one bendingsubtype. Like, as waterbender you would have to choose between plantbending and bloodbending, as earthbender between lava or metal, as firebender between lightning and combustions, etc. But I don't think that would solve anything, maybe only make it worse... D:

Status
Not open for further replies.