• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Suggestion Avatar Bending during eclipses

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
I think the Avatar should have the ability to bend water and fire during their respective eclipses, IF they enter the Avatar State. It seems to be that the sun and moon each power their respective elements, as fire is stronger during the day, and weaker at night, and impossible during a solar eclipse, and the reverse is true for water. However, the Avatar is able to draw power from Raava and their past lives, via the Avatar State. Aang was even shown waterbending during the lunar eclipse after entering the Avatar State and using both Raava and La's power. So, I think the Avatar should be able to bend during these eclipses if he/she enters the Avatar State.

HadesDude

Verified Member
I think the Avatar should have the ability to bend water and fire during their respective eclipses, IF they enter the Avatar State. It seems to be that the sun and moon each power their respective elements, as fire is stronger during the day, and weaker at night, and impossible during a solar eclipse, and the reverse is true for water. However, the Avatar is able to draw power from Raava and their past lives, via the Avatar State. Aang was even shown waterbending during the lunar eclipse after entering the Avatar State and using both Raava and La's power. So, I think the Avatar should be able to bend during these eclipses if he/she enters the Avatar State.
Technically he merged with the sea spirit to create Koizilla. I believe that is why he was still able to waterbend.

EDIT: The Avatar Wiki says "Made entirely of water and light, this destructive creature is literally the wrath of the ocean in physical form."

bossJetthardy

Verified Member
I don't like this, the avatar should not get special privileges like that, and I am pretty sure in the series the avatar couldn't bend fire or water.

HadesDude

Verified Member
I don't like this, the avatar should not get special privileges like that, and I am pretty sure in the series the avatar couldn't bend fire or water.
The Avatar could bend fire and water... They master all FOUR elements in order to become a fully realized Avatar.

bossJetthardy

Verified Member
Ex
No. Like I explained earlier, the only reason Aang was able to bend water during the lunar eclipse was because he merged with the Ocean spirit.
Exactly. Aang had a special circumstance that let him bend. However normally he wouldn't be able to bend. You've contradicted yourself brother

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
I disagree. I think its valid to assume that these celestial bodies are the source of their bending abilities, meaning they draw power from them (As they have said, firebending is stronger during the day, and Waterbending at night.) These eclipses cut off the source of their power, taking away their ability to bend. Its similar to how a Waterbender harnesses the power of the full moon to increase the strength of their bending greatly, and how a firebender harnesses the power of Sozin's Comet to increase their bending's strength. Cut off these sources, such as through an eclipse, and they cannot bend. But give them another power source, such as Raava, who can increase the power of the Avatar's bending with the Avatar State, and you don't need the Moon or Sun. I bet if a solar eclipse and Sozin's Comet happened at the same time, the firebender would still be able to Firebend.

owlcool

Verified Member
If you really want a source of cannon, you would have to debuff avatar state too. Remember when Aang was fighting during the comet? His firebending didn't seem buffed at all. So also disable the avatar from getting buffs from sozin's comet and the moon. Without that added, my answer is no.

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
The only reason that Aang could bend during the Lunar Eclipse was due to being combined with the power of La (the ocean spirit). What Aang used was irrelevant to the moon, but it was the power of the ocean :)

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
If you really want a source of cannon, you would have to debuff avatar state too. Remember when Aang was fighting during the comet? His firebending didn't seem buffed at all. So also disable the avatar from getting buffs from sozin's comet and the moon. Without that added, my answer is no.
Actually, Aang benefited during his fight with Ozai from comet-enhanced firebending as well. Didn't you see the number he did on Ozai's airship? I think it is perfectly legit for the Avatar to benefit from both a comet/full moon and Avatar State at the same time.
The only reason that Aang could bend during the Lunar Eclipse was due to being combined with the power of La (the ocean spirit). What Aang used was irrelevant to the moon, but it was the power of the ocean :)
While Aang did use La's power, I was not referring to that at all. I am using logic and reason to infer that it is probable the Avatar could bend during an eclipse.

Hit_Manx

Verified Member
Yea.... Avatars shouldn't be excused and allowed to use fire bending and water bending during their respective eclipses, doesn't make much sense.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
While Aang did use La's power, I was not referring to that at all. I am using logic and reason to infer that it is probable the Avatar could bend during an eclipse.
But it's not...:confused:
Why should the avatar'd bending be affected by the eclipses and comet any different than other benders?

TheBlueSpirit

Verified Member
What do you mean? All the firebending that happened that day was intense! Even Aang's firebending. He created all these huge ass flames. I normally disagree with Venusuar, but he's right in this instance.

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
Buuut that is like multiplying 100 times 0 and saying it makes 200. .-.
When it comes to power of bending, I don't think math is really applicable. All it is is providing a varying source of power, and when the comet is in effect without an eclipse, an additional source. Think of the Avatar State as the comet during an eclipse. It would provide a variant, or alternative source of power for the Avatar to draw upon, rather than the moon or sun.