• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

|Armor's Relation To Bending|

ashe36

Verified Member
Hi everyone -
So lately some of the Concept Designers have been brainstorming some way to balance out armor and swords vs bending. In many raid/PvP servers, it appears that bending is completely useless against enchants, armor, swords, bows, and potions. I'd like to see any thoughts from the community on this issue, and how you think we could balance them out.

KEEP IN MIND: Neither should be greater or worse than the other.

Daddy Sakurai

Verified Member
Please understand! Armor and swords are actually in the game. Unlike this bending crap, swords are real weapons to use against your opponents. If you do not like it, please uninstall and go play Roblox.

BubbaTree

Verified Member

Bending Penetration:

It would take some time, but I think the effort would be worth it. If abilities could penetrate armor at a specific percentage more so than a sword or a bow would, I think it would give people more incentive to bend in pvp combat. Currently, a damaging ability would not deal enough damage to someone wearing armor to be viable in PVP combat.

[NOTE: I’m throwing out numbers that are not real in the following paragraph for the sake of understanding]

A fireblast deals 10 hearts of damage while the player is wearing no armor, and 1 heart of damage while the player is wearing diamond armor. If you could allow that fireblast to penetrate partially through the armor, and deal, say, 5 hearts of damage, it would give people the incentive to still get as good of armor as possible, but also work their bending abilities into combat.

It seems like a good idea on paper, but I think it would take a lot more work than it sounds like it does. When you damage a player with an airswipe, Minecraft can't differentiate that airswipe from the damage of a sword/bow. This would create a complication with swords penetrating armor while they shouldn’t, because the damage type is the same between bending abilities and weapons. (This might be completely false, it is what Mist told me when we were working on adding this to Etriacraft long ago.)

BUT: If you managed to distinguish the damage types between bending abilities, swords, and bows, I think this could be a great balance between vanilla MC PvP and BendingPVP. It might take time, but I truly believe it could revolutionize PvP on PK servers.

The specific percentage of penetration could be manipulated from server to server so each owner can choose how much he wants bending to influence PvP combat, but the PK staff could come up with a good base percentage after testing.

HadesDude

Verified Member
What if the bending moves adjusted their power based on what the target player was wearing and what enchantments they had? The damage would always be somewhat equal and actually hurt people who just decide to get OP armor.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
What if the bending moves adjusted their power based on what the target player was wearing and what enchantments they had? The damage would always be somewhat equal and actually hurt people who just decide to get OP armor.
Problem with that is that they'd be have to be looking at a moving target.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
When you damage a player with an airswipe, Minecraft can't differentiate that airswipe from the damage of a sword/bow. This would create a complication with swords penetrating armor while they shouldn’t, because the damage type is the same between bending abilities and weapons.
You're right, completely false. Sword damage and ability damage are two different types.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Uh, no. Once the ability hits the target, it would calculate how much damage it had to do and then do it.
You said target player and that usually means the player they are looking at. Sorry XD. But that'd still be kinda difficult to completely track.