• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied Anybody can be Ty Lee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janny

Verified Member
Chi-blocking is a martial arts style that doesn't need any sort of natural born power like airbending, waterbending, earthbending, and firebending. Then proves that anyone can learn chi-blocking with the right training. So in Project Korra RPG, there should be a system that lets you self-train yourself or train others chi-blocking! Example: Ty Lee was born a non-bending child. So she learned the ways of chi-blocking without needing to have the gift from birth! Just to make the RPG plugin a bit more realistic to the show :D.

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
A few things:
1. Its for balance
2. In an RP sense, would you really have the time to master both?
3. You can already make benders chi blockers aswell
4. We've known this since literally 2008, when Ty Lee says she taught the Kyoshi warriors how to chiblock, and later in 2012 Amon could bloodbend and chiblock

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Verified Member
Two things:
1. Its for balance
4. We've known this since literally 2008, when Ty Lee says she taught the Kyoshi warriors how to chiblock, and later in 2012 Amon could bloodbend and chiblock
That looks like 4 things, not 2 .-.

Also, while Janny's logic is sound that benders could theoretically learn to Chi-Block, they have no reason to, and it would be imbalanced in the terms of the plugin. Benders in the Avatar world never learned to Chi-Block (Except for Amon) because they could already defend themselves with their bending, so why put time and effort into another form of martial arts? (On an added note, actually learning other forms of martial arts besides their own seemed to be limited to the Avatar, who would learn all the elements. And when you can bend all 4 elements at that point, who even needs Chi-Blocking? You can fly around!)

To start off with, it's not fair to the non-bender classes if their unique skills can just be learned by any bender who so chooses. Why be a non-bender if there's no benefit to it?
Another thing. In my experience, adding Chi-Blocking to benders makes for a horrible time in the arena or in the world for everyone else playing. They can paralyze you, or rapidpunch, etc, and then launch elemental attacks of their own while you stand there powerless. Back in one of my first servers, there was an Avatar who would paralyze you, then put walloffire on you, and attack you with whatever else on his hotbar. It would generally result in instant death. It takes little skill to freeze your opponent in place with Chi-Blocking, and then kill them with bending. You just need to get one hit in.

I know that it's possible already to give Chi-Blocking to benders/Avatars on servers, but if we're doing RPG, we should really think more logically about it. To conclude, Chi-Blocking added on to bending is no fair, no fun, and all in all illogical.

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member

Also, while Janny's logic is sound that benders could theoretically learn to Chi-Block, they have no reason to, and it would be imbalanced in the terms of the plugin. Benders in the Avatar world never learned to Chi-Block (Except for Amon) because they could already defend themselves with their bending, so why put time and effort into another form of martial arts? (On an added note, actually learning other forms of martial arts besides their own seemed to be limited to the Avatar, who would learn all the elements. And when you can bend all 4 elements at that point, who even needs Chi-Blocking? You can fly around!)

To start off with, it's not fair to the non-bender classes if their unique skills can just be learned by any bender who so chooses. Why be a non-bender if there's no benefit to it?
Another thing. In my experience, adding Chi-Blocking to benders makes for a horrible time in the arena or in the world for everyone else playing. They can paralyze you, or rapidpunch, etc, and then launch elemental attacks of their own while you stand there powerless. Back in one of my first servers, there was an Avatar who would paralyze you, then put walloffire on you, and attack you with whatever else on his hotbar. It would generally result in instant death. It takes little skill to freeze your opponent in place with Chi-Blocking, and then kill them with bending. You just need to get one hit in.

I know that it's possible already to give Chi-Blocking to benders/Avatars on servers, but if we're doing RPG, we should really think more logically about it. To conclude, Chi-Blocking added on to bending is no fair, no fun, and all in all illogical.
It started as two, but I got carried away.

Janny

Verified Member

I think you are forgetting where I am creating this thread in. This is for the RPG and shouldn't be enabled in the arenas of server. Yes, I know the pain of fighting a bender with Chi and another element but it would canon to the show as they CAN learn chi-blocking but never learnt to due to the little time they had due to worldly affairs. Plus, NOBODY is going to role-play in an arena. The arena is for practice and fighting, not to be role-played in. Please take note that the RPG plugin is suppose to be precisely like the show and one key factors is that anyone in the show, even non-benders, can learn chi-blocking if they put time into it. Most importantly, this thread is mainly for those servers that are purely RPG which would make the RPG experience more canon to the show.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
I think you are forgetting where I am creating this thread in. This is for the RPG and shouldn't be enabled in the arenas of server. Yes, I know the pain of fighting a bender with Chi and another element but it would canon to the show as they CAN learn chi-blocking but never learnt to due to the little time they had due to worldly affairs. Plus, NOBODY is going to role-play in an arena. The arena is for practice and fighting, not to be role-played in. Please take note that the RPG plugin is suppose to be precisely like the show and one key factors is that anyone in the show, even non-benders, can learn chi-blocking if they put time into it. Most importantly, this thread is mainly for those servers that are purely RPG which would make the RPG experience more canon to the show.
Do you get how RPGs work? The point is to make a character that is unique. This shouldn't be added because you can already make benders chiblockers too if it fits into the story. This is one of the things that ops and admins should decide if somebody is allowed to.

Janny

Verified Member
Do you get how RPGs work? The point is to make a character that is unique. This shouldn't be added because you can already make benders chiblockers too if it fits into the story. This is one of the things that ops and admins should decide if somebody is allowed to.
RPG makes itself. Admin don't decide what a character is in an RPG unless its like a play or something like that. If you are doing a pure RPG server, you make your OWN character, not one an admin chooses. If you have an RPG server that has admins pick who you are in the story, the server won't be fun. So yeah, admins shouldn't decide what element you are and or get which includes chi-blocking.

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
But some people don't RP correctly and just use it to cheat and get an upperhand like power leveling. Tell me do you honestly think people will choose this for the complexity of their character, or just to be OP? And again, this is already possible with permissions.

Janny

Verified Member
But some people don't RP correctly and just use it to cheat and get an upperhand like power leveling. Tell me do you honestly think people will choose this for the complexity of their character, or just to be OP? And again, this is already possible with permissions.
So you're saying that people that don't RP correctly go on pure RPG servers and use the given stuff to be more OP than others? Also, I know this is possible with the "/bending add <Username> chi" command", but like I said in my last comment: ADMINS DO NOT CONTROL THE RP ON RPG SERVERS, THE PLAYERS DO. In ATLA did an admin give Ty Lee chi-blocking? No. In LoK did an admin give Amon and the Equalists chi-blocking? No. The Project Korra (RPG) Plugin was made so that players can role-play and actually feel like they're in the Avatar World. But that's hard if you need an admin to give you chi-blocking when you want it.

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
So you're saying that people that don't RP correctly go on pure RPG servers and use the given stuff to be more OP than others? Also, I know this is possible with the "/bending add <Username> chi" command", but like I said in my last comment: ADMINS DO NOT CONTROL THE RP ON RPG SERVERS, THE PLAYERS DO. In ATLA did an admin give Ty Lee chi-blocking? No. In LoK did an admin give Amon and the Equalists chi-blocking? No. The Project Korra (RPG) Plugin was made so that players can role-play and actually feel like they're in the Avatar World. But that's hard if you need an admin to give you chi-blocking when you want it.
Is this balanced? No. It's not.

If we're doing an RPG, and it HAS to be FULL RP mode, then it should default be Hardcore mode because people in the avatar universe don't respawn!

Is the argument I'm seeing

Janny

Verified Member

If we're doing an RPG, and it HAS to be FULL RP mode, then it should default be Hardcore mode because people in the avatar universe don't respawn!

FULL RP mode without hardcore mode basically.

Janny

Verified Member

When you are dealing with RPG, you don't try to balance elements out, you try to be canon.

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
When you are dealing with RPG, you don't try to balance elements out, you try to be canon.
You try to be balanced and canon. This is a GAME. You need to be balanced so it's fair. If Benders can also be chiblockers, but chiblockers cant be benders, then why would anybody want to be a chiblocker? You literally take all its strong points, and give them to everybody. Every option for element needs to be unique. Example:
Water: Unique due to move-pool being defensive and offensive
Earth: Unique due to combat and utility move-pool
Fire: Unique to heavy focus on offensive moves
Air: Unique to high defense and mobility
Chi: Unique due to mobility and ability to cancel bending

If this were added:
Everything for Water, Earth, Fire, and Air would be the same, but:

Chi: Unique because, it has become the worst because it's specialty is now a given.

PVP would also change. PVP would be a struggle of people trying to get the first paralyze in and then just spam their most spammable move. Is that canon? Nope. Amon learned to chi block as part of his ruse.

Stratgey? Forget about it. Just run out of nowhere, paralyze, spam. I'm so good!

owlcool

Verified Member
You try to be balanced and canon. This is a GAME. You need to be balanced so it's fair. If Benders can also be chiblockers, but chiblockers cant be benders, then why would anybody want to be a chiblocker? You literally take all its strong points, and give them to everybody. Every option for element needs to be unique. Example:
Water: Unique due to move-pool being defensive and offensive
Earth: Unique due to combat and utility move-pool
Fire: Unique to heavy focus on offensive moves
Air: Unique to high defense and mobility
Chi: Unique due to mobility and ability to cancel bending

If this were added:
Everything for Water, Earth, Fire, and Air would be the same, but:

Chi: Unique because, it has become the worst because it's specialty is now a given.

PVP would also change. PVP would be a struggle of people trying to get the first paralyze in and then just spam their most spammable move. Is that canon? Nope. Amon learned to chi block as part of his ruse.

Stratgey? Forget about it. Just run out of nowhere, paralyze, spam. I'm so good!
You forget that fire can cook food, and can be used to heat furnaces.

TheBlueSpirit

Verified Member
And I know you are talking about me in SpiritCraft when I chi-blocked you into a wall of fire -_-. Please take note that the RPG plugin is suppose to be precisely like the show and one key factors is that anyone in the show, even non-benders, can learn chi-blocking if they put time into it. Most importantly, this thread is mainly for those servers that are purely RPG which would make the RPG experience more canon to the show.
In the show, there is no conclusive evidence that literally ANY bender could Chi-Block, as it never happened with anyone except Amon. And even Amon's claim to actual Chi-Blocking is weak. The only time we see him do anything close to Chi-Blocking (Aside from the Bloodbending removal thing, which is bending) is short hits to the head or other points on the body to knock Korra unconscious when she's kidnapped (and possibly a few other times), which is rather uncharacteristic of normal Chi-Blocking in the first place. My guess is he learned enough martial arts to be able to accomplish things like that, but we KNOW he never ever does anything like Rapid Punch or Paralyze. He never needed to do. He's got his bloodbending to make people miss when they try to attack him, and his bloodbending to remove their bending forever.

Hero

Verified Member
A few things:
1. Its for balance
To be honest, the Equilist and Amon couldn't paralyze there victims like Ty Lee; all they did was strike their pressure points with hard enough force to cause them to fall, but didn't do the paralyzing technique.

V

Vidcom

Benders can't Chi-Block on SpiritCraft, so how would I be referring to you? Was referring to a little boy named Kevin from MCbend, before it died.

Also, in the show, there is no conclusive evidence that literally ANY bender could Chi-Block, as it never happened with anyone except Amon. And even Amon's claim to actual Chi-Blocking is weak. The only time we see him do anything close to Chi-Blocking (Aside from the Bloodbending removal thing, which is bending) is short hits to the head or other points on the body to knock Korra unconscious when she's kidnapped (and possibly a few other times), which is rather uncharacteristic of normal Chi-Blocking in the first place. My guess is he learned enough martial arts to be able to accomplish things like that, but we KNOW he never ever does anything like Rapid Punch or Paralyze. He never needed to do. He's got his bloodbending to make people miss when they try to attack him, and his bloodbending to remove their bending forever.
Yeaaaaahhh... chiblocking is a martial art, anyone could learn it. Chiblockers aren't special, they're just folks who learnt a martial art. Also, I edited both your posts to omit advertisement, don't do that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.