• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied AirMine(Combo Idea)

Would you like to see this in Project Korra?

• Total voters

vidant829

Verified Member
Idea: AirMine which would be activated by shifting with AirBurst until fully charged and then right clicking at the desired location with tornado while shifting, would place a 1x1 carpet of air particles that resemble a mine on top of the block selected that will be highly visible for Air Benders and nearly invisible for others. When trended over by a living mob the mine or is activated by an air bender by tapping shift with AirShield and then left clicking with tornado on the same block it is on while shifting, the mine would be detonated causing air particles to expand over 15 blocks away from the origin point and will linger there for up to 7 seconds which again would be highly visible to Air Benders and nearly invisible for others.

What it will do: Anything that was within the explosion radius will not be knock backed but instead suffer from extreme nausea and poison 1 for as long as it is within the aftermath and a few seconds after leaving, anything entering will receive only minor nausea and no penalty upon leaving.

Extra:
  • If AirMine were to come in contact with fire before and after its detonated, its air particles would be replaced by that of fire and anything within it when detonated will be ignited on fire but will receive no direct damage nor nausea or poison.
  • Earth, water and air on the other hand will only diffuse AirMine before activation upon contact but will have no affect on it after detonation.
  • More than one AirMine could be summoned up to a configurable amount.
  • AirMine range could be made configurable.
  • AirMine could be set to despawn after a configurable amount of time or can last indefinitely.
  • AirMine could controlled by other Air Benders who did not use it originally.
  • Air Benders will see AirMine's particles before and after detonation in plenty while others will only be able to see it in sparse amounts.
Reasoning: AirMine would be the result of an Air Bender condensing a massive amount of oxygen into one point. Upon contact with something of a warm temperature such as a mob, the balance of warm and cold air used to keep the oxygen in that one location will be thrown off and as a result, oxygen will overtake the area as it swarms out. Since breathing oxygen alone can cause nausea, sickness and worse; the same rule would be applied here. Being pure oxygen it would also only make sense for fire that feeds on the element to cause it to be engulfed in flames.

Lore: This move despite never being show in either Avatar or Korra would be possible within their logic. If accepted it would give Air Benders an offensive, defensive and practical ability within combo form.

Last edited:

Zephyrus_Arrow

Verified Member
This move/combo seems a little overpowered to me. Perhaps it could be an extension to SoundBending?

Also, this move could be used for extreme spawn killing in arenas.

Phorcys77

Verified Member
This move/combo seems a little overpowered to me. Perhaps it could be an extension to SoundBending?

Agreed. It sounds like a cool, stealthy move for air benders, but it being invisible is really op and can be used really cheaply.

vidant829

Verified Member

Thanks for bringing up the issue with it being used for spawn killing in the arena, a way to solve this problem would be to put a set amount of damage player could take if the AirMine was engulfed in flames since by itself, the mine can only damage by poison. In terms of it being an extension of Sound Bending, I kinda disagree because that would mean that the move would have to do direct damage and knock back if dictated by logic. (If you want I could explain what I mean by that.)

vidant829

Verified Member
Agreed. It sounds like a cool, stealthy move for air benders, but it being invisible is really op and can be used really cheaply.
Sorry, I should have explained more about what I meant by nearly invisible. So my original idea was that for anyone else other than airbenders, they would only be able to see a few sparse particles floating around the origin opposed to what Air Benders would see being the actual mine itself. I'll make an edit to fix that so thanks for bringing it up.

vidant829

Verified Member
The poison part doesn't make sense to me
So in the real world, if you constantly breath in pure oxygen for a long period of time you'll start to become ill, becoming exposed to a massive amount of oxygen in a short period of time greatly reduces that time which is why I made so that if you walk into the AirMine's radius after detonating, you won't receive poison, only nausea.

Phorcys77

Verified Member
Well air benders bend air. Air isn't pure Oxygen. It's a lot of gasses including Oxygen, Nitrogen, Hydrogen and Argon. I think it should launch players in the air and make them take a small amount of fall damage with nausea and should stay there longer, but have a longer cool down.

vidant829

Verified Member
Well air benders bend air. Air isn't pure Oxygen. It's a lot of gasses including Oxygen, Nitrogen, Hydrogen and Argon. I think it should launch players in the air and make them take a small amount of fall damage with nausea and should stay there longer, but have a longer cool down.
You made a completely valid in which I can only respond with that the move is open to interpretation of how much control Air Benders have over their element since the limit has never been set by the show yet. I can only hope that my idea is made as it is but its up to those who create the abilities.

Kwesi

Verified Member
You made a completely valid in which I can only respond with that the move is open to interpretation of how much control Air Benders have over their element since the limit has never been set by the show yet. I can only hope that my idea is made as it is but its up to those who create the abilities.
It's not as broad as to be opened up to interpretation, airbenders manipulate air currents, and to that degree alone. This is also something that is a mentioned fact about airbending, you could even look it up on AvatarWiki or something. They cannot manipulate gases of the air separately, making the nauseating effect of this ability illogical and not pertaining to airbending. It would make more sense inflict direct damage or knockback.

The idea with fire being spread upon detonation kind of already conflicts with the relationship between air and fire in Project Korra. The smallests gusts of air blow out flames. A force of this magnitude would definitely produce the same effect, otherwise it just doesn't seem realistic to me - it would seem odd.

I don't know if airbending would be productively used in this fashion, as creative as it is. Also, the option to have mutiple mines placed seems waaaaaaay too strenuous on an airbender: they would have to violently compress a lot of air into multiple separate points, which would divide their focus too much to keep them intact.

I personally disagree with ability because I feel its nature deviates from the way airbending is actively used. Airbending tend to bend their air towards whatever they're targeting. As much as I like the idea of airbending being used in new ways - I feel this strays too far - it seems too indirect.

Despite the tone of my criticism I really liked this idea because it gave airbenders something new and dynamic which could be used to serve as a great advantage in many situations. However, as I previously stated, I just personally don't think it's appropriate (which is a shame).

Gahshunk

Verified Member
It's not as broad as to be opened up to interpretation, airbenders manipulate air currents, and to that degree alone. This is also something that is a mentioned fact about airbending, you could even look it up on AvatarWiki or something. They cannot manipulate gases of the air separately, making the nauseating effect of this ability illogical and not pertaining to airbending. It would make more sense inflict direct damage or knockback.

The idea with fire being spread upon detonation kind of already conflicts with the relationship between air and fire in Project Korra. The smallests gusts of air blow out flames. A force of this magnitude would definitely produce the same effect, otherwise it just doesn't seem realistic to me - it would seem odd.

I don't know if airbending would be productively used in this fashion, as creative as it is. Also, the option to have mutiple mines placed seems waaaaaaay too strenuous on an airbender: they would have to violently compress a lot of air into multiple separate points, which would divide their focus too much to keep them intact.

I personally disagree with ability because I feel its nature deviates from the way airbending is actively used. Airbending tend to bend their air towards whatever they're targeting. As much as I like the idea of airbending being used in new ways - I feel this strays too far - it seems too indirect.

Despite the tone of my criticism I really liked this idea because it gave airbenders something new and dynamic which could be used to serve as a great advantage in many situations. However, as I previously stated, I just personally don't think it's appropriate (which is a shame).
Quite... this idea feels like a move combustionbending might have obtained in the series... But didn't, obviously. Airbending has never been used with specific gas elements and I feel most periodic table sciences should not be applied to bending. It was never applied before.

Stephano The Pebble

Verified Member
There are many things that don't make sense in this idea. I agree with the people that say airbenders cannot control different gases. But there is one other thing you have to know. AirBenders only control the current/direction/gust/power of wind. That is why they usually need a fan or staff to guide the currents. They do not have enough power to be able to fully control the air all around them. Even creating gusts out of nowhere is hard enough to do.

The ability to control gases does not make sense what so ever. Separating different elements is something you would need an avatar to do. But this also leads to another point. What does an AirBender really control or bend? In the paragraph above, it shows that they control the air currents. This does not mean that they control the oxygen/any other gases found in air. They just simply guide it toward the direction they want. If you are thinking about Suffocation, most people think that oxygen is being controlled in the respiratory system. But it is not. There is no pure oxygen inside your body because your lungs will always contain some CO2 and some other stuff. So they just control the air inside your body. Remember, they ONLY control air. Not oxygen or individual gases.

In AirMine, would you simply have enough power to do it, even if the move did exist? There was only one single person that could Suffocate people. You see, even controlling one, single general element is hard enough. If you want to purify dirty water, you would expect an EarthBender taking out the pebbles and such. But you actually need a Water and EarthBender to take out a few dirt particles in water. In AirMine, you are saying that any normal player could create pressure in an infinite volume AND concentrate a single gas element into a player.

This AirMine ability simply does not fit into AirBending. Remember that AirBending is about evade and attack, not some warfare weapon.

Stephano The Pebble

Verified Member
Idea: AirMine which would be activated by shifting with AirBurst until fully charged and then right clicking at the desired location with tornado while shifting, would place a 1x1 carpet of air particles that resemble a mine on top of the block selected that will be highly visible for Air Benders and nearly invisible for others. When trended over by a living mob the mine or is activated by an air bender by tapping shift with AirShield and then left clicking with tornado on the same block it is on while shifting, the mine would be detonated causing air particles to expand over 15 blocks away from the origin point and will linger there for up to 7 seconds which again would be highly visible to Air Benders and nearly invisible for others.

What it will do: Anything that was within the explosion radius will not be knock backed but instead suffer from extreme nausea and poison 1 for as long as it is within the aftermath and a few seconds after leaving, anything entering will receive only minor nausea and no penalty upon leaving.

Extra:
  • If AirMine were to come in contact with fire before and after its detonated, its air particles would be replaced by that of fire and anything within it when detonated will be ignited on fire but will receive no direct damage nor nausea or poison.
  • Earth, water and air on the other hand will only diffuse AirMine before activation upon contact but will have no affect on it after detonation.
  • More than one AirMine could be summoned up to a configurable amount.
  • AirMine range could be made configurable.
  • AirMine could be set to despawn after a configurable amount of time or can last indefinitely.
  • AirMine could controlled by other Air Benders who did not use it originally.
  • Air Benders will see AirMine's particles before and after detonation in plenty while others will only be able to see it in sparse amounts.
Reasoning: AirMine would be the result of an Air Bender condensing a massive amount of oxygen into one point. Upon contact with something of a warm temperature such as a mob, the balance of warm and cold air used to keep the oxygen in that one location will be thrown off and as a result, oxygen will overtake the area as it swarms out. Since breathing oxygen alone can cause nausea, sickness and worse; the same rule would be applied here. Being pure oxygen it would also only make sense for fire that feeds on the element to cause it to be engulfed in flames.

Lore: This move despite never being show in either Avatar or Korra would be possible within their logic. If accepted it would give Air Benders an offensive, defensive and practical ability within combo form.
This move is 500% offense and overkill. And breathing pure oxygen over a period of time actually improves your breathing. Thats why swimmers/some athletes go to oxygen tents on Mount Everest.

vidant829

Verified Member

Quite... this idea feels like a move combustionbending might have obtained in the series... But didn't, obviously. Airbending has never been used with specific gas elements and I feel most periodic table sciences should not be applied to bending. It was never applied before.
There are many things that don't make sense in this idea. I agree with the people that say airbenders cannot control different gases. But there is one other thing you have to know. AirBenders only control the current/direction/gust/power of wind. That is why they usually need a fan or staff to guide the currents. They do not have enough power to be able to fully control the air all around them. Even creating gusts out of nowhere is hard enough to do.

The ability to control gases does not make sense what so ever. Separating different elements is something you would need an avatar to do. But this also leads to another point. What does an AirBender really control or bend? In the paragraph above, it shows that they control the air currents. This does not mean that they control the oxygen/any other gases found in air. They just simply guide it toward the direction they want. If you are thinking about Suffocation, most people think that oxygen is being controlled in the respiratory system. But it is not. There is no pure oxygen inside your body because your lungs will always contain some CO2 and some other stuff. So they just control the air inside your body. Remember, they ONLY control air. Not oxygen or individual gases.

In AirMine, would you simply have enough power to do it, even if the move did exist? There was only one single person that could Suffocate people. You see, even controlling one, single general element is hard enough. If you want to purify dirty water, you would expect an EarthBender taking out the pebbles and such. But you actually need a Water and EarthBender to take out a few dirt particles in water. In AirMine, you are saying that any normal player could create pressure in an infinite volume AND concentrate a single gas element into a player.

This AirMine ability simply does not fit into AirBending. Remember that AirBending is about evade and attack, not some warfare weapon.
This move is 500% offense and overkill. And breathing pure oxygen over a period of time actually improves your breathing. Thats why swimmers/some athletes go to oxygen tents on Mount Everest.
Thanks for all those great points as well as bringing attention to the error in my facts, I'll try thinking of something else that stays more true to Air Bending.

Kwesi

Verified Member
I love that you got a "looking into" after the direction of all the comments, HAHA! :D

Nevertheless, congratulations, I hope that if it's implemented it's done in a good way. :)

OmniCypher

Staff member
Lead Developer
Administrator
Plugin Developer
Marked as denied, this suggestion is be no means canon in any way, shape, or form.