• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

A Hopefully Short Rant

Search the show for details, or research the martial arts?

• Bleed the show dry while searching for details

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Research the Martial Arts and make new techniques and change the old off of these martial arts

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

owlcool

Verified Member
The four elements were based off of four martial arts. Perhaps we need to decide on something. Should we focus on making the elements off of every detail in the show, or should we all research a bit on the four martial arts bending is based off of, and build the plugin off of the four martial arts. After all, the show has ended, and once we have bleed the show dry for details we won't know how much diversity is left in the plugin. Here are the martial arts the elements are based off of.
Water: Tai Chi. Bloodbending has Chin Na. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_chi
Earth: Hung Gar Kung Fu, or southern mantis in toph's case. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hung_Ga
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Praying_Mantis_(martial_art)
Metal: Chu Gar with modern military techniques mixed in. I have noticed that there is not much that stands out in the second aspect, but I did notice that metalbending police shared military tactics, such as planning night combat. Police officer lin seemed to fair well during night combat against equilists, so that suggests that these types of tactics seem to go into place in the avatar world.
Lava: Bajiquan, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bājíquán
Sand: Seems to take influence from elemental styles like air and waterbending. I theorize it is more from air and earth.
Air: Baguazhang, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baguazhang
Fire: Northern Shaolin Kung Fu, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Shaolin_(martial_art)
Lightning: Lightning seems to be the "Peirce the Heart" Technique within Northern Shaolin. This subelement is limited to solely that technique if this was true, and thus it has little use other then just another punch.
Combustion: This is a blank unknown. There isn't even any "real" evidence it is a part of a real martial art technique. If anyone has any idea what kindd of martial art it is, or even technique, then please post down below.
Chi: Chi is a mystery, but a possibility is Dim Mak for a martial art, and the pressure points are shared by a medicine technique called Qigong.
If anyone insults these arts as looking gentle, just read this article. http://www.cracked.com/article_21878_6-ways-my-real-kung-fu-training-was-crazier-than-any-movie.html
So, should we base the elements off of these martial arts or bleed the show dry?

Last edited:

owlcool

Verified Member
I will try to post a overview of all these element's martial arts, both individually and collectively, hopefully.
Earthbending:
Firebending:
Waterbending:
Airbending:
Collective Four Main Elements:

Last edited:

JewFroJustin

Verified Member
I can understand where you're coming from, but I think that there is still a lot more that can be found from the show. We should get ideas from the show for now, because they can still be considered canon. Once everyone is clean out of ideas I think it'd be fun to explore the martial arts and try to find new moves in them, but for now we should stick to the show. Try to keep everyone happy.

owlcool

Verified Member
I can understand where you're coming from, but I think that there is still a lot more that can be found from the show. We should get ideas from the show for now, because they can still be considered canon. Once everyone is clean out of ideas I think it'd be fun to explore the martial arts and try to find new moves in them, but for now we should stick to the show. Try to keep everyone happy.
There is a lot of ideas that we could get out of these martial arts though, we are starting to run out of ideas, and it would be a good idea to help classify the nature of each element's combat.

Last edited:

JewFroJustin

Verified Member
There is a lot of ideas that we could get out of these martial arts though, we are starting to run out of ideas, and it would be a good idea to help classify the nature of each element's combat.
I think it'd be a good idea to maybe, maybe, start to shift towards the martial arts for ideas. Could you give examples of moves we could suggest from looking at martial arts? (I'm not doubting you when I ask for this, I just want an example) Thanks :D

owlcool

Verified Member
I think it'd be a good idea to maybe, maybe, start to shift towards the martial arts for ideas. Could you give examples of moves we could suggest from looking at martial arts? (I'm not doubting you when I ask for this, I just want an example) Thanks :D
Well for example we could build passives around such. In hung gar kung fu, there is this training called, "Training the Tiger Fist," It is supposed to build endurance, so perhaps stuff like that. In 1:07 in the earthbending video there is a move that makes it seem like earthbenders could have a shield that goes over their heads. That is just a small bit of research that I posted onto this thread before realizing that I would be called to have a few ideas from martial arts. And that is just limited to earthbending. There is most likely plenty of sources of hung gar kung fu on youtube, and other sites that would help expand this plugin. Just saying it is a possibility. At the very least, this thread would create a source of what the styles of each element are all about.

owlcool

Verified Member
Well for example we could build passives around such. In hung gar kung fu, there is this training called, "Training the Tiger Fist," It is supposed to build endurance, so perhaps stuff like that. In 1:07 in the earthbending video there is a move that makes it seem like earthbenders could have a shield that goes over their heads. That is just a small bit of research that I posted onto this thread before realizing that I would be called to have a few ideas from martial arts. And that is just limited to earthbending. There is most likely plenty of sources of hung gar kung fu on youtube, and other sites that would help expand this plugin. Just saying it is a possibility. At the very least, this thread would create a source of what the styles of each element are all about.
Likewise you would need a little imagination for this type of thing, but it is not the most different thing from imagining how moves in atla and lok could be made into minecraft, or even imagining a bending fight that occurred in the series to occur in minecraft, while watching the fight. Am I the only one that does this?

owlcool

Verified Member
Chi-blocking actually comes from the Gentle Fist taijutsu
I somehow doubt that, but okay. If you want to know where the gentle fist comes from, it comes from the same martial art airbending comes from. The style air and the gentle fist come from is baguazhang.

Last edited:

owlcool

Verified Member
I updated this thread with lavabending, metalbending, combustion bending, lightning bending, sand bending, and bloodbending information. Feel free to check back on this thread to see what is new.

HydroMan

Verified Member
If it still would be added ,it will lose the element of surprise ,in which you would find out what the other player the move/ability/combo is about to use ,by observing its specific martial art move ,that you can figure out and often avoid it (unless each ability doesnt have the same animation over and over again ,which i think that would be cool)

owlcool

Verified Member
is it really possible to make this martial moves in minecraft?
If you actually were paying attention to what I was saying, in summary I am stating that people should start looking through the martial arts for bending ability's. So, Pay attention.
If you actually were paying attention to what I was saying, in summary I am stating that people should start looking through the martial arts for bending ability's. So, Pay attention.
Zmeduna seems to like opposing any and all of my idea's, even when the arguments make no sense to what I am actually saying.

V

Vidcom

Lavabending (in Ghazan's style) was confirmed to be Bajiquan recently by Bryke, in the Art of Book 3 book c:

xD Cel Dx

Verified Member
maybe a quick look at suggestions would give you more ideas :d