• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Remote Waterbending

Status
Not open for further replies.

HydroMan

Verified Member
Name: *Read the title*
Element: Water
Type: Passive
Purpose/Function: Whenever a waterbender is in a 15 blocks radius vertically/horizontaly away from a watersource, (s)he would able to use as a source without needing to look at. The Waterbender would still need to select the source, by just clicking/sneaking at the air (or at a block, if your cursor only points at it). The water that is nearest in your radius would then be selected as a source automaticly. This will work if the following corresponding conditions are:
  • If the user isn't in a fully closed space are. The user must be atleast in a room where there is a space to the outside for the water to come in physically in your space
  • If the user or the water is block then there re should be atleast a presence of waterdripping particles in the user's radius for the waterbender to bend. (S)He should be able to bend out of them water. But ONLY, if there is actual water from where the water dripping particle come from. The main example would be if you where closed in a close 4x4 free space area with 1 thick block layer; or in another instance - you are standing near a block build water tower with water inside it (and the water reaches your radius). So then you notice that the water drips of the celling. So what would you do? As a waterbender you would be able to select the water dripping particles. As when you use the particles for a water move, you use the water that is above celling where it causes the water to dripp from.
There you have it. I pretty much summ it up. You should know that this mechanic will work up well with the new recent dynamic water selection thing that was release a few betas ago.
Canon: Almost forgot to add this. This was known by pretty much everyone when we were discussing about water benders having an ability to use a source without looking. We also have the thing in-game as proof. Heres another one from a quote:

Additional information:
  • This would select a random type of source if it happens to be that two sources that are the closest to you.
  • Surge would be able to detect where the user is standing, and would choose his lauched angle from your left or right side without causing any harm or accidental attack to the user.
  • Surge won't be applied to this concept, thus it will not work when tryning to remote waterbend. However, if the water is used from near by dripping water particles, then it would work.

Tags: Hero,Waterbender, Finn, Pickle, Mr. Knight, owlcool

Last edited:

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I see several problems with this.
What if there are multiple water source within the same range? Or what if you want to use surge from the water behind you to launch yourself but the mechanism uses the water in front of you instead? etc etc.

HydroMan

Verified Member
1.Then it would choose a random one.
2. With the surge, this would help you to detect where you are standing, and by that it would skip the place where you are standing, and would use the surge from your left or right side corner to the target\air . This might answer your first question for all the other projectile moves. And with your suggestion that was "shift - pocket will be made for your surge throught you" I don't see it would be much of a problem if waterbenders were to have that kind of an power ;).

Hero

Verified Member
I see several problems with this.
What if there are multiple water source within the same range? Or what if you want to use surge from the water behind you to launch yourself but the mechanism uses the water in front of you instead? etc etc.
I think for certain moves, you should still look at a source. Like surge for example.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
We know that if you select a source for surge wave and you shoot it too low, it won't work. How would this mechanism know when the source is too low?

HydroMan

Verified Member
We know that if you select a source for surge wave and you shoot it too low, it won't work. How would this mechanism know when the source is too low?
I think surge really needs a rework in general. It doesn't even work when i try to launch surgewave from the ocean across the land. It just makes a sound :/

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
I think the whole process of selecting a source is what balances out water pretty well. Especially with the new sourcing methods.

HydroMan

Verified Member
I think this will satisfy all waterbenders amd will be enough for source changing things as there isn't anything to change or add (except for fix). Not sure if this same mechanic will mess up earthbending if thats was added too. But I believe EarthBlast would work fine with this for earthbending ;p.

HydroMan

Verified Member
I think the whole process of selecting a source is what balances out water pretty well. Especially with the new sourcing methods.
I still seem to find this pretgy much fine. Like I mention, you would still need to do "leftclick + shift" and visa versa.

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
I still seem to find this pretgy much fine. Like I mention, you would still need to do "leftclick + shift" and visa versa.
I mean think about it like this, the first time you select the source to use later on is like acknowledging the water is there. You have to know the water is there to bend.

HydroMan

Verified Member
I mean think about it like this, the first time you select the source to use later on is like acknowledging the water is there. You have to know the water is there to bend.
Well yea. Seeing water in 15 radius isn't that hard. Everyone could pretty much notice that is there. There in-game eyes (the player) would be able to see it.

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
Well yea. Seeing water in 15 radius isn't that hard. Everyone could pretty much notice that is there. There in-game eyes (the player) would be able to see it.
Yea, but 15 meters without even giving it more than a passing glance? Besides the point of a source is to ensure that you can get your target. If you have a chiblocker getting up in your face and you start spam clicking to use water manip, what are the odds that its going to come back to you and hit the chiblocker or just go the direction you were facing. This suggestion, while plausible seems to me just to be an short cut to tapping shift ONCE to select a source.

Hero

Verified Member
Yea, but 15 meters without even giving it more than a passing glance? Besides the point of a source is to ensure that you can get your target. If you have a chiblocker getting up in your face and you start spam clicking to use water manip, what are the odds that its going to come back to you and hit the chiblocker or just go the direction you were facing. This suggestion, while plausible seems to me just to be an short cut to tapping shift ONCE to select a source.
That kind of thing is already in the plugin, Hydro is just suggesting that some moves dont require for you select a source. I like this suggestion a lot. Its canon. It makes sense. AND.....Pandas approve.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I think this will satisfy all waterbenders amd will be enough for source changing things as there isn't anything to change or add (except for fix). Not sure if this same mechanic will mess up earthbending if thats was added too. But I believe EarthBlast would work fine with this for earthbending ;p.
It would select the block directly underneath you.

Status
Not open for further replies.