• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

New Air Mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSkyKing

Verified Member
Air benders have a very small number offensive moves.Due to this, airbenders have learned to use their passive moves to cause indirect damage or assist their offensive moves.
In order to better use these passive abilities, i suggest increased impact damage. If an airbender launches themself towards an enemy and makes physical contact with the target, the target should take added damage due to the acceleration and force of the impact.
A way that this could be implamented is that when an air bender moves at a certain speed or falls from a certain height at, they get a slight attack boost depending on the height or speed. The greater the height/speed, the greater damage boost. The boost would affect only one punch. The boost would also end .5seconds after the bender has either landed or slowed down to under the minimum speed limit required for the boost.

Edit: After posting this i realized that this should apply to all elements. Each element has a way of propelling themselves with high velocity, so its only natural that they would have a boost aswell

Last edited:

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
Not this again.
1. I suggested something like this earlier.
2. What I'm getting from this is you want air to be more powerful because either:
A. You want a short cut to do more damage
B. You just want air to be strong and evasive at the same time, which is against its purpose.

TheSkyKing

Verified Member
Not this again.
1. I suggested something like this earlier.
2. What I'm getting from this is you want air to be more powerful because either:
A. You want a short cut to do more damage
B. You just want air to be strong and evasive at the same time, which is against its purpose.
Its neither of those. I want to use a different style of combat and this would be great way introducing it. I was gonna add something to the post by i had to do something so im going to add it now....

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
Well falling already gives you a power increase, it's called a critical hit
Sprinting already gives you a boost, knock back.

TheSkyKing

Verified Member
Well falling already gives you a power increase, it's called a critical hit
Sprinting already gives you a boost, knock back.
Yes but i mean more physical fighting style. My intention is to incorporate your bending into hand to hand combat and martial arts

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
Yes but i mean more physical fighting style. My intention is to incorporate your bending into hand to hand combat and martial arts
Then why not just suggest close range moves like fire daggers or ice arm

and

chazpants

Verified Member
You want air to be even stronger? If I remember correctly you always said you was the best airbender on etria I think air is balanced and doesn't need to get stronger

David

Verified Member
I don't like this because this seems illogical. If an archer is riding on a horse with a bow and arrow, and the horse is running at its highest speed, and you shoot the bow and arrow, the arrow's precision, ferocity, and piercing powers are not increased.

V

Vidcom

I don't like this because this seems illogical. If an archer is riding on a horse with a bow and arrow, and the horse is running at its highest speed, and you shoot the bow and arrow, the arrow's precision, ferocity, and piercing powers are not increased.
Einstein's Theory of Relativity objects to the above statement.

Dr_CrossFire

Verified Member
They would actually be increased, very slightly.

Then again, airbending isn't real, nor is anything really we do in minecraft.

Nicky0915

Verified Member
Okay so I've been looking around the PK forums, not bad. I do agree air benders need new moves. Get on air/earth, unubs. I know you devs out there don't like programming water and earth because they aren't as easy as particle-based moves. I feel you, but my message is:

TAKE ONE FOR THE TEAM

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
Einstein's Theory of Relativity objects to the above statement.
Agreed. I don't like the idea because it changes PVP way too much. How often in a fight do you seen people back up to run at each other to get more damage done? Besides, the speed at which your moving doesn't affect anything but chiblocking. The speed and strength of bending is determined by the physical and spiritual condition of the bender.

TheSkyKing

Verified Member
Agreed. I don't like the idea because it changes PVP way too much. How often in a fight do you seen people back up to run at each other to get more damage done? Besides, the speed at which your moving doesn't affect anything but chiblocking. The speed and strength of bending is determined by the physical and spiritual condition of the bender.
This suggestion isnt so much about bending as it is to add more variety to combat. Adding different close range and longe fighting styles for all elements would really spice up the plugin. Everybody has a different fighting style and implementing this could really help support other forms of combat

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
This suggestion isnt so much about bending as it is to add more variety to combat. Adding different close range and longe fighting styles for all elements would really spice up the plugin. Everybody has a different fighting style and implementing this could really help support other forms of combat
You said it's not about bending, but about giving each element a different fighting style. That's just contradicting. Second, what you're suggesting is not a new fighting style. You're suggesting something people could exploit to do more damage. Second if this were added it would be unbalanced and here's why:

Only fire and air have a guaranteed way to move fast enough to activate it. Earth and water do not.

If the speed were lowered to a speed earth and water benders could reach, then air benders would constantly have this buff, making them OP.

The only element that actually uses punching is chi. And don't try to change your argument to make it for chi, because this page is called "New air mechanics".

The amount of time being spent setting themselves up for the extra punch damage could be used to do even more damage with normal moves.

If somebody builds up the speed to activate this what stops a bender of any kind from using any of their ranged moves to stop them?

If you try to argue that this is for bending moves:

There is no evidence from the show (that I am currently aware of, if you have any, post a gif or video) that speed makes any difference. The only time falling matters are when shockwave and airburst are used from falling.

If an earthbender where to use any move they would have to stop to pick a block or they'd run out of range of they block they picked before running. Same for water benders with the exception of bottle bending.

Also, this ability could easily be abused via potions of speed and strength to do even more damage.

The plugin is not broken or horribly out of balance without this mechanic, and moves are suggested with the intent of widening the move pool to make PVP and survival more fun and unique.

Thank you and have a pleasant day.

Status
Not open for further replies.