• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied GentleCurrent (Air)

Would you like to see this ability in Project Korra?

• Total voters

vidant829

Verified Member
Idea: By holding down shift while looking at entities that would normally accept bone meal as a faster way of growing, Air Benders will be able to greatly speed up their growth process by providing a constant gentle and warm current of air around them.

Times for growth
  • Dirt - Grass = 10 Seconds
  • Grass - Wild grass and up = 13 Seconds
  • Flowers - Full grown = 16 Seconds
  • Wheat and sugarcane - To each growth phase = 7 Seconds
  • Melon, pumpkins and coco beans - To full grown = 30 Seconds
  • Small trees - To full grown = 45 Seconds
  • Large trees - To full grown = 60 Seconds
Extra:
  • The move will stop if an Air Bender takes damage or goes out of range.
  • Times for growth would be configurable.
  • Distance that the ability could work away from entities should be configurable.
  • The time an Air Bender spent on using the ability on an entity would be saved allowing that and any other Air Benders to pick up where they left off.
  • If the ability was used on a damaged tree, it would for half amount of time it takes to grow it; bring it back to its original state.
  • This ability would only be able to be used in certain bioms that could be configurable.
Reasoning: This ability may or may not have been shown in Avatar or Korra but logically makes sense with what an Air Bender can do and stays true to their overall culture. I do acknowledge that the times are extremely short but if they were made any longer players may find the move to be inefficient.

Last edited:

vidant829

Verified Member
Airbenders can only manipulate wind/air, They can't control it's heat

Anyway, Since when does hot air speed up a growth process by 10 times?
Air Benders are actually able to heat themselves with air by using proper breathing techniques which is how they were able to strive in the cold conditions that most of their temples were located in, exaggerating this as well as the fact that crops tend to grow well when exposed to warm temperatures I came up with the idea. In terms of the drastic times, its unlikely that a player would spend any longer of a time performing the ability when bone meal is a faster alternative. Though in the end all your points are 100% valid and its just up to whoever makes the abilities to decide if they want to implement it or not. Thanks for your feedback.

Gahshunk

Verified Member
It's one thing to live in a warm climate for agriculture, I don't think a warm air current quite has the same effect considering the warm climate also has to be humid, not dry desert wind.

vidant829

Verified Member
It's one thing to live in a warm climate for agriculture, I don't think a warm air current quite has the same effect considering the warm climate also has to be humid, not dry desert wind.
So in terms of realism this ideas is more of an exaggeration but at the same time if it were to be made I think it being limited to where it could be used would be a good limiting factor so thanks for the feedback.

Nicky0915

Verified Member
Vidant, as much as I love you, I don't think plants are the way to go with this. I think they should be used as something like HealingWaters; a gentle current, relaxing the player.

vidant829

Verified Member
Vidant, as much as I love you, I don't think plants are the way to go with this. I think they should be used as something like HealingWaters; a gentle current, relaxing the player.
I would be cool with it be a healing ability but it would lack originality compared to something that non of the other elements can do atm.

Helios

Verified Member
Airbenders can only manipulate wind/air, They can't control it's heat

Anyway, Since when does hot air speed up a growth process by 10 times?
Yup, if anything, it'd make sense for Firebenders to do this, because they CAN control heat.

Last edited:

vidant829

Verified Member
Yup, if anything, itd make sense for Firebenders to do this, because the CAN control heat.
Yup, if anything, it'd make sense for Firebenders to do this, because they CAN control heat.
I was originally going to revolve this ability around fire but it didn't seem fitting because even though fire is capable of creating life, its mostly known for destruction especially in regards to the culture of Fire Benders. Air on the other hand is known for being one with natural as well as being supported of it which has also affected what it can do as well. In terms of manipulating heat, Air Benders are not only able to warm themselves with proper breathing techniques but since warm air usually resides above cold air; all in air bender would have to do is manipulate a current of constant warm air and bring it to their desired location. Thanks for the feedback.

Helios

Verified Member
I was originally going to revolve this ability around fire but it didn't seem fitting because even though fire is capable of creating life, its mostly known for destruction especially in regards to the culture of Fire Benders. Air on the other hand is known for being one with natural as well as being supported of it which has also affected what it can do as well. In terms of manipulating heat, Air Benders are not only able to warm themselves with proper breathing techniques but since warm air usually resides above cold air; all in air bender would have to do is manipulate a current of constant warm air and bring it to their desired location. Thanks for the feedback.
Air benders may be able to warm themselves, but It is never mentioned that they can heat other things. Also, fire isn't a destroyer of things in LoK, and In TLA, it was only considered violent and destructive because of the benders who manipulated it with anger and hate. Another point; go watch the episode with the Sun Warriors and listen to what everyone says when Zuko and Aang are being reviewed by the dragons. Fire is about life. Were would we be without it? The cavemen could not have survived without it, and neither can most aborigines or peoples still living in the wild.

Stephano The Pebble

Verified Member
Air Benders are actually able to heat themselves with air by using proper breathing techniques which is how they were able to strive in the cold conditions that most of their temples were located in, exaggerating this as well as the fact that crops tend to grow well when exposed to warm temperatures I came up with the idea. In terms of the drastic times, its unlikely that a player would spend any longer of a time performing the ability when bone meal is a faster alternative. Though in the end all your points are 100% valid and its just up to whoever makes the abilities to decide if they want to implement it or not. Thanks for your feedback.
They don't control heat in air.. they MEDITATE . Why do you think all of the old AirBenders always get children that can bend Air? AirBenders are enlightened so they can control their chi and blah blah blah. Warm temperature doesn't even make plants grow faster. They just grow or die.

Stephano The Pebble

Verified Member
This move is also way too OP. AirBenders already have their low hunger bar use and now they have infinite food? Please don't make suggestions that are usually one-sided to an element.

Helios

Verified Member
They don't control heat in air.. they MEDITATE . Why do you think all of the old AirBenders always get children that can bend Air? AirBenders are enlightened so they can control their chi and blah blah blah. Warm temperature doesn't even make plants grow faster. They just grow or die.
This move is also way too OP. AirBenders already have their low hunger bar use and now they have infinite food? Please don't make suggestions that are usually one-sided to an element.
Well said.

vidant829

Verified Member
Air benders may be able to warm themselves, but It is never mentioned that they can heat other things. Also, fire isn't a destroyer of things in LoK, and In TLA, it was only considered violent and destructive because of the benders who manipulated it with anger and hate. Another point; go watch the episode with the Sun Warriors and listen to what everyone says when Zuko and Aang are being reviewed by the dragons. Fire is about life. Were would we be without it? The cavemen could not have survived without it, and neither can most aborigines or peoples still living in the wild.
For the most part I've already offered points to help defend my idea and to restate them would only lead to a circular argument. The only other way that I see as a proper way to respond is to not do so at all and let those who make the abilities to make the final call.

Stephano The Pebble

Verified Member
For the most part I've already offered points to help defend my idea and to restate them would only lead to a circular argument. The only other way that I see as a proper way to respond is to not do so at all and let those who make the abilities to make the final call.
The people who make the abilities only make the abilities if it is approved or "Looking Into". To make your thread approved, you have to make general people make the final call. If you get a ton of disagreements, its going to be nearly impossible to made into an actual move.

Gahshunk

Verified Member
Yeah, I'm just not feelin' this one. I know moves don't have to be canon but in my case, they have to be show they possess the ability to make such a move possible. Extraction, for example, was never used in the series, but makes sense in covering the extent of a metalbender's abilities.

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
Does anybody else think we need a canon-test to earn suggestion rights?

It's rare to see a suggestion that has more positive responses than negative responses. And this is almost always because of how canon it is.