• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

[Outdated] Tutorial: How to create an ability in ProjectKorra

HydroMan

Verified Member
Uhm... Whats stopping a chi blocker from throwing daggers?
Being able to throw daggers makes sense... Airbenders setting people on fire doesnt make sense.

This only has a listener. I mean, you COULD make an ability based on this.... but it would be terrible (look at my very first abilities). To make an actual ability you need more than what finn has showed.
No no. I'm saying that I never knew how to make an ability. This tutorial helped me create Sufficate 3 and Quicksand combo and it turned out to be succesfull.

Sorin

Verified Member
I think tampering with it would be ok if you have permission, as long as it's only for educational purposes and you're not uploading it anywhere. It would help to get a feel of the way this works.
if anyone asked to tamper with my code to change it into another move, i would say no, I would how ever let them LOOK at it, nothing more, nothing less.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
if anyone asked to tamper with my code to change it into another move, i would say no, I would how ever let them LOOK at it, nothing more, nothing less.
They don't need your permission to look at it. XD they can anyways

Matt

Verified Member
what i would do is dont start Major coding right away (IF YOUR NOT AN EXPERIENCED CODE, FOR THOES OF U WHO ARE MASTER CODE PRO DONT WORRY BOUT THIS COMMENT) , if u can just find an easy, simple looking skill and then just tamper with its code, change simple thinkgs like its distance or its particles.
then once uve done the simple thinkgs like changing its name or description go onto bigger things like changing the blocks that it uses or somthing.
basicly: get a good feel for the layout of the move and what part of the code does and or controls what part of the move.
THEN once ur experinced or atleast familiar with this you should try to do bigger things.
Start small - Then go larger
This is exacally what im againsed... people who do this kinda stuff
You don't get a "feel" you learn and make your own "feel"

I know the way most devs code here, if someone uploads a move I can tell if it's their own.
It's noticable

Matt

Verified Member
Looking at it without permission is a dick move imo, and if someone where to do that, I would lose all respect I had for said person.
No it's actually not, I decode everyone's moves, for one, I want to make sure nothing sketchy is going on, two I like to see the way people around this community code. Do I use this code? No!

RobagNetwork

Verified Member
EventHandler.NORMAL should be EventPriority.NORMAL

new ArrayList<Entity>() should be that last part

It gives you the answer, the method should be like GeneralMethods.damageEntity(player, entity, 1, "insertabilitynamehere");
I made the changes specified in the quoted post (above), and I have no errors in my classes. Yet when I export the project correctly into my abilities folder on my test server, and run my server, it still gives me the same error it's always given me (mentioned in my first post on this thread).
-
And yes, I saved all my changes. If you have any questions feel free to ask

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I made the changes specified in the quoted post (above), and I have no errors in my classes. Yet when I export the project correctly into my abilities folder on my test server, and run my server, it still gives me the same error it's always given me (mentioned in my first post on this thread).
-
And yes, I saved all my changes. If you have any questions feel free to ask
Can I see your PyrokinesisInformation class?

RobagNetwork

Verified Member
Can I see your PyrokinesisInformation class?
It used to be a different kind of move but then after trying and failing every time with no errors I just copied the code directly from the tutorial (I know this isn't good) and it still has a problem with my file.

P0W3RK1D

Verified Member
This is exacally what im againsed... people who do this kinda stuff
You don't get a "feel" you learn and make your own "feel"

I know the way most devs code here, if someone uploads a move I can tell if it's their own.
It's noticable
there is an old saying.
"If it aint broke, Dont fix it"
if someone has code that does the exact same thing of what your trying to do, USE IT! you can make your own way of doing it but if its going to do the exact same thing anyways then y waste the extra hours trying to make a new way of doing it.
Just dont STEAL it, if u used someone elses code give them credit, don;t say its completely yours that would be stealing
(stealing im against, borrowing im for)
some noobs in the way of the code force (namely me) use bits and peices of what the find in other code to create new ones. im not a pro coder therefore until i can learn the way the PK code system works i need to do this. plus its fun splicing into code and seeing how changing the slightest piece of code either breaks the code into a freakin computer virus style error or makes it the most OP thing in bending :D
plus, everyone had to start somewhere. apple mooched off of windows and now we got 2 major computer company's that are similar but delectably unique in their own ways and the world wouldn't be the same without em.

Matt

Verified Member
there is an old saying.
if someone has code that does the exact same thing of what your trying to do, USE IT! you can make your own way of doing it but if its going to do the exact same thing anyways then y waste the extra hours trying to make a new way of doing it.
Just dont STEAL it, if u used someone elses code give them credit, don;t say its completely yours that would be stealing
some noobs in the way of the code force (namely me) use bits and peices of what the find in other code to create new ones. im not a pro coder therefore until i can learn the way the PK code system works i need to do this. plus its fun splicing into code and seeing how changing the slightest piece of code either breaks the code into a freakin computer virus style error or makes it the most OP thing in bending :D
plus, everyone had to start somewhere. apple mooched off of windows and now we got 2 major computer company's that are similar but delectably unique in their own ways and the world wouldn't be the same without em.
Excuse me sir, but that's not how programming and proper developing works.

OmniCypher

Staff member
Lead Developer
Administrator
Plugin Developer
there is an old saying.
You really should ask first :/

Sorin

Verified Member
there is an old saying.
This is not in any way coding, please, do your self a favor and learn proper code, and don't just copy others work, its sad that you need to do this, It is all out lazy.