• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied Lightning in Water Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

djmyernos

Verified Member
First off, I'd like to say great job to the ProjectKorra staff for the excellent 1.6.0 update. Second, I'd like to propose a small change to lightning.
Since I've played a lot on servers that had 1.6.0 BETA, I had time to get used to the new lightning. I think that it is a lot cooler and more realistic than the old lightning. I really like that you made it spread in water. However, I don't think it spreads enough. For example, I was fighting a waterbender in a pond. The waterbender was on the other side of the small pond (though still in the water). I shot lightning into the water thinking it would go through the water and hit the player. It didn't. It just spread out a little bit from where it entered the water. I think that it should spread out through the entire body of water. If a lightning bolt hits the corner of a large swimming pool, the electricity will go throughout the entire pool, not just that small section. The best way to do this in Minecraft is, in my opinion, to have the lightning target any entity within a certain chunk radius that is in water when the lightning enters the water. For example: There are three waterbenders in a semi-large pond. I shoot a lightning bolt into the water near the one waterbender, and the lightning then goes through the water to the other two waterbenders and hits them. Now, I know this could have some issues, because you don't want to have the lightning spread throughout an entire ocean, so you should have a configurable chunk radius. I also know this could make lightning a bit more OP than it already is, so maybe you could make it so that the lightning does less damage, but more paralysis when in water; something to balance it out. This is just an idea to make lightning a little more physically accurate. Please comment your thoughts and suggestions below!

P.S. Sorry if this isn't completely clear at parts. I was trying to write it out quickly while I had a chance, but I hope I got the basic message across

djmyernos

Verified Member
This seems wayy too overpowered.
The better solution is to fix your aim, M8.
Alright. I wish we could find a way to make it not op, cuz it's not so much about giving an advantage to Firebenders than it is making it more physically accurate. But I see what your saying.

Hero

Verified Member
Alright. I wish we could find a way to make it not op, cuz it's not so much about giving an advantage to Firebenders than it is making it more physically accurate. But I see what your saying.
Trust me, you wont find a way to make the firebending move lightning not op. The firebending move does like 4 hearts of damage, it spreads in water already and it can paralyze you for a few seconds. Firebending.

I think you guys know what im hinting at....Fire

djmyernos

Verified Member
Trust me, you wont find a way to make the firebending move lightning not op. The firebending move does like 4 hearts of damage, it spreads in water already and it can paralyze you for a few seconds. Firebending.

What always gets me is the knock back from you being set on fire.

Lol so are you suggesting we take away the entire element of Fire? :p

Hero

Verified Member
What always gets me is the knock back from you being set on fire.

Lol so are you suggesting we take away the entire element of Fire? :p
The offical PK texture pack deals with the blinding fire damage (Makes it not cover your entire screen).

Fire is....you know......maybe.....

Hero

Verified Member
Lol. I never really liked fire for how unpredictable it was. Other elements are predictable, but fire looks about the same until they release there move.
Just a heads up, the texture pack is a 16x16 and it looks like normal minecraft as far as wood and stone, but smoother. :p

djmyernos

Verified Member
Lol. I never really liked fire for how unpredictable it was. Other elements are predictable, but fire looks about the same until they release there move.
Just a heads up, the texture pack is a 16x16 and it looks like normal minecraft as far as wood and stone, but smoother. :p
Lol same. That and air. As an EarthBender most of the time, I always lose to those too. The fire, well...sets me on fire, and then air jumps around too much. But it's fun to be fire.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

FoldKittah

Verified Member
Even though I'm a fan of water, this may reduce Watercampers. Say, does the lightning affect water that is being bend? For example, if firebender shoots electricity to an oncoming surge, does he/she get shock?

djmyernos

Verified Member
Even though I'm a fan of water, this may reduce Watercampers. Say, does the lightning affect water that is being bend? For example, if firebender shoots electricity to an oncoming surge, does he/she get shock?
That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. It would make sense, but unless he shoots the Lightning exactly when the surge hits him, then probably not. Since it's just targeting all targets in the water at the time that the Lightning hits the water. You'd also have to consider if this would work on waterspout as well.

owlcool

Verified Member

Can't Shockwave do like four hearts of damage, though? How about Torrent? Or maybe two iceblasts? Besides, fire is supposed to be the element of offense, and lightning could basically kill you if you got hit with it once in the show.

SchvinDZC

Verified Member
I don't really think the spread needs to be much wider, but maybe that could be a config option? What I'd prefer is making the arcs penetrate the surface of the water instead of just going across the top. The old lightning did this to an extent and I was sad to see it go. Now people can just camp under water that's 2-3+ blocks deep with no fear of lightning.

djmyernos

Verified Member
Can't Shockwave do like four hearts of damage, though? How about Torrent? Or maybe two iceblasts? Besides, fire is supposed to be the element of offense, and lightning could basically kill you if you got hit with it once in the show.
Good point. Plus, if you get caught in LavaFlow or LavaFlux then you're dead. Torrent spam can be deadly if not fire or water.

I don't really think the spread needs to be much wider, but maybe that could be a config option? What I'd prefer is making the arcs penetrate the surface of the water instead of just going across the top. The old lightning did this to an extent and I was sad to see it go. Now people can just camp under water that's 2-3+ blocks deep with no fear of lightning.
I see what you're saying. Makes sense. Maybe instead of spreading it throughout the entire body of water, just increase the damage.​

paliate

Verified Member
This thread is all over the place honestly, First you want it to go through the whole body of water (which is ridiculous may i add), then you want it to be configurable, and then you want it to just do more damage?

By the way, If a waterbender was surging it wouldn't electrocute them if it hit the water because the water is not in direct contact with them.

I'm 99% sure that there is already a config option to edit damage, As there is on most damaging moves.
Honestly I'm trying to rate this thread and I can't even understand what you really want.

Hero

Verified Member
We tested lightning with surge.....the firebender, me, and 5 other people got hit. :eek:

Hero

Verified Member
Shockwave is easily avoidable, Torrent depends on the player but on the server I play on, its 2 1/2 hearts. Iceblast does 4 hearts but isnt redirectable and only limited to ice. Fire is just :eek::eek:

Hero

Verified Member
Shockwave is easily avoidable, Torrent depends on the player but on the server I play on, its 2 1/2 hearts. Iceblast does (If hit 2 times) 4 hearts but isnt redirectable and only limited to ice. Fire is just :eek::eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.