• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied Chi Ability: Redirect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwesi

Verified Member
Name: Redirect

Description: Hold sneak and strike your enemy to skilfully manipulate the position they are facing.

How it could work: The chiblocker would be within 1 block of the target and would hold sneak and left-click at them. Once that has been done it will cause the target to instantly rotate about 90 degrees (default). This would be most effective in the instance where the target were to attempt attacking, their attack would be launched in another direction than at the chiblocker (although they'd need to be wise about it).

A visual example of what I mean in this clip:

6tijn

Verified Member
Luv this. Chi seriously needs to be more dangerous. Everyone now just laughs at them. In TLK and TLA they were so skilled and dangerous.

Kwesi

Verified Member
Luv this. Chi seriously needs to be more dangerous. Everyone now just laughs at them. In TLK and TLA they were so skilled and dangerous.
I agree. Chi needs a bit more edge. I feel it's not getting the credit it deserves.

Adam

Verified Member
Name: Redirect

Description: Hold sneak and strike your enemy to skilfully manipulate the position they are facing.

How it could work: The chiblocker would be within 1 block of the target and would hold sneak and left-click at them. Once that has been done it will cause the target to instantly rotate about 90 degrees (default). This would be most effective in the instance where the target were to attempt attacking, their attack would be launched in another direction than at the chiblocker (although they'd need to be wise about it).

A visual example of what I mean in this clip:
It's a good idea, i really felt that something like this should be added!

Kwesi

Verified Member
It's a good idea, i really felt that something like this should be added!
Well I'm glad to read that. I think it should be interesting to have to added and really make chiblockers a force to be reckoned with.

Adam

Verified Member
Imagine what would a very calculated chiblocker would do if there was a second enemy 90 degrees to your target, when the redirected bender was charging a move like fireblast or airswipe!

Kwesi

Verified Member
Imagine what would a very calculated chiblocker would do if there was a second enemy 90 degrees to your target, when the redirected bender was charging a move like fireblast or airswipe!
It's a beautiful vision, isn't it? XD

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
Well, what you see in the video isn't a chi-blocking rotating Korra... What you see there is various camera angles and her slight movement to fight with the chiblocker, that of which a chiblocker could do now by running around the player. Sorry to burst your bubble. :oops:

Kwesi

Verified Member
Well, what you see in the video isn't a chi-blocking rotating Korra... What you see there is various camera angles and her slight movement to fight with the chiblocker, that of which a chiblocker could do now by running around the player. Sorry to burst your bubble. :oops:
The chiblocker's movement obviously coincide with Korra's as well as blocking to prevent full movement and redirect the angle of the attack. The chiblocker is not simply evading Korra's movements. The idea of Redirect is translating the concept and effect into Minecraft in a simple, comprehensible and feasible way. Minecraft movements can't equate to what you saw in that video and this seemed like a way to capture the mechanics of such technique for players to utilise and enjoy but without deviating too much from the original concept.

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
The chiblocker's movement obviously coincide with Korra's as well as blocking to prevent full movement and redirect the angle of the attack. The chiblocker is not simply evading Korra's movements. The idea of Redirect is translating the concept and effect into Minecraft in a simple, comprehensible and feasible way. Minecraft movements can't equate to what you saw in that video and this seemed like a way to capture the mechanics of such technique for players to utilise and enjoy but without deviating too much from the original concept.
The original concept is moving around the person in a tight circle and then they willingly follow.

6tijn

Verified Member
I think this could go well to gether with that new move Dash they recently added. Like, you see a firebender charging his powerful fireblast, so you use Dash to come near him and then you use this to prevent him letting it hit you.

An other example of this is when Aang and Ozai fight. Ozai was about to aim his arm at Aang to shoot a powerfull frei blast at him, but he redirected it upwards. I think this is even someone signature.

Kwesi

Verified Member
I think this could go well to gether with that new move Dash they recently added. Like, you see a firebender charging his powerful fireblast, so you use Dash to come near him and then you use this to prevent him letting it hit you.

An other example of this is when Aang and Ozai fight. Ozai was about to aim his arm at Aang to shoot a powerfull frei blast at him, but he redirected it upwards. I think this is even someone signature.
That seems like a pretty effective and skillful combination.

Blockkkster

Verified Member

Dash is an addon rune made. (So is poison dart)

Zephyrus_Arrow

Verified Member
This is pretty cool. I like to make Chi more powerful because not a lot of people pick it, and this move would go very well with it. Keep the awesome ideas flowing :D

Kwesi

Verified Member
This is pretty cool. I like to make Chi more powerful because not a lot of people pick it, and this move would go very well with it. Keep the awesome ideas flowing :D
Well I agree with you, I think chi, with the right arsenal, will really even out the paces of all the disciplines and give chi the attention it deserves. Also, thank you very much - I appreciate that. :)

Mist

Staff member
Administrator
Seems to me like the video (and chiblocking in the show) is much less about redirection rather than blocking. They are simply moving Korra's arms (using their own arms) to change the direction of her bending. To be able to redirect an ability would insinuate they can manipulate the elements at least a bit, which is not the case. Instead, Chiblockers can rely on their agility and speed to get out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.