• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Airshield, and its growing uselessness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KylarThorne

Verified Member
First off, you do not need to be rude. Second he doesn't have to do anything.

If you haven't, that suggests that the move wasn't being used correctly, or the airshield was not fully formed yet. And no, airbending was shown to block airbending pretty well in the show. All the elements do in fact, they block their own element pretty well. Or have a way to dodge or redirect.
A: Look back at the guy's comments. Rudeness is not the half of it. In addition, if he actually bothered to read my comments, he wouldn't repeat himself so much. Also his spoiler tag Is just wrong, not all avatars would have mastered flight based on his premise.
B: I've been sitting on a ledge with airshield up for a good ten to twenty seconds, when an earthbender catapults up and kills me with 4 earthblasts. This has happened more than once. Similarly for waterbending. Also, notice that the coding says that airshield Doesn't block airswipe, which is BS in my opinion. Physics and logic suggest that the blade of air would be directed in the airflow of the airshield around the airbender, rather than passing through unnaffected, along with airblast, airsuction and all the rest. Not a single air move is blocked, whereas you state that airbending blocks airbending, so really, your statement actually agrees with me.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Answer the statement, don't avoid it talking about the spamming. Have you read the bit is the VERY FIRST COMMENT where I talked about the major version of airshield having a timer? Well, guess what, I SUGGESTED A TIMER SPECIFICALLY TO STOP CAMPING! RTFM, dude. So your comment about camping until health has regened fully shows both your laziness and your ignorance.
Also, you need to remove your spoiler tag. It's just plain wrong.
It isn't, lol. Why wouldn't it be? You have anything against it? I don't have to do anything cuz you want me to do it. If you are going to be like that, then get off these forums.

KylarThorne

Verified Member
It isn't, lol. Why wouldn't it be? You have anything against it? I don't have to do anything cuz you want me to do it. If you are going to be like that, then get off these forums.
Right, your premise is that all avatars mastered flight because they all opened their seventh chakra by letting go in the same manner as zaheer? While I do not deny that Aang would almost certainly have been able to fly had he actually realised that he could (remember that Guru Laghima's flying was considered a myth), I disagree with the premise that ALL avatars mastered flight.
Firstly, not all avatars opened their chakras in order to master the avatar state. For example, Korra was taught it by Aang energybending, and Roku reached it using the sun at the winter solstice (though it didn't work out well, he lost control of it for days). These are referenced in various places, look them up. If this is the case, then not only have I disproved your statement with just two anecdotal examples, but I have also shown that it is quite likely that not all avatars were taught to open the chakras, or even that it was highly unusual, given that two out of three of the avatars we know about did not learn to control the avatar state in this manner.
Also, what was that about Aang flying in the avatar state with no visible signs of airbending? I'm sorry, please could you repeat that, I was unable to hear that the first time over the sound OF THE GIANT AIR SPHERE AANG WAS USING!

Do be a dear and get rekt, won't you?

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Right, your premise is that all avatars mastered flight because they all opened their seventh chakra by letting go in the same manner as zaheer? While I do not deny that Aang would almost certainly have been able to fly had he actually realised that he could (remember that Guru Laghima's flying was considered a myth), I disagree with the premise that ALL avatars mastered flight.
Firstly, not all avatars opened their chakras in order to master the avatar state. For example, Korra was taught it by Aang energybending, and Roku reached it using the sun at the winter solstice (though it didn't work out well, he lost control of it for days). These are referenced in various places, look them up. If this is the case, then not only have I disproved your statement with just two anecdotal examples, but I have also shown that it is quite likely that not all avatars were taught to open the chakras, or even that it was highly unusual, given that two out of three of the avatars we know about did not learn to control the avatar state in this manner.
Also, what was that about Aang flying in the avatar state with no visible signs of airbending? I'm sorry, please could you repeat that, I was unable to hear that the first time over the sound OF THE GIANT AIR SPHERE AANG WAS USING!

In his spoiler, he mentioned in the catacombs when he was fighting azula and Zuko. Aang had rose in the air with no sign of airbending.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member

Stop being disrespectful(caps.)
He was levitatint with no signs of airbending. Do you even know what I am talking about? I'm talking about the moment Azula shot lightning at him, get your facts right noob.
/ignore
/unwatch

KylarThorne

Verified Member
In his spoiler, he mentioned in the catacombs when he was fighting azula and Zuko. Aang had rose in the air with no sign of airbending.
Watch his clothes. Flapping in the Sudden Updraft.
That being said, I do see where he was coming from. Still disproven by Korra and Roku.

Sorin

Verified Member
Answer the statement, don't avoid it talking about the spamming. Have you read the bit is the VERY FIRST COMMENT where I talked about the major version of airshield having a timer? Well, guess what, I SUGGESTED A TIMER SPECIFICALLY TO STOP CAMPING! RTFM, dude. So your comment about camping until health has regened fully shows both your laziness and your ignorance.
Also, you need to remove your spoiler tag. It's just plain wrong.

V

Vidcom

Okay so I heard about this post but I didn't think it was real.

AirShield has some major disadvantages in a fight on account of it requiring you to stop moving and start crouching, which goes against airbending mobility styles. However, at the same time, the move is extremely powerful, as it blocks nearly all moves, and those it doesn't you can jump over.

I wouldn't use AirShield in a fight since I rely quite a lot on my passives compared to the majority of airbenders, but I would in the event that I was pinned into a corner cause with this one move I can hold off a small army and be totally fine.

It's also one of the only moves that protects against FireBurst and cannons being fired at you, which is quite something

Janny

Verified Member
I COMPLETELY AGREE. Airshield is personally one of the most useless airbending move to this date and I rarely bind it unless I am up against a firebender as it is just a waste of space for a bind. This move should be buffed big time and should AT LEAST keep out the normal moves (airblast, watermanipulation, earthblast, and fireblast). Since this is an AIRshield, air moves should NOT be even able to go through the airshield. Air moves would become part of the airshield if came upon contact on the airshield.

Migsel

Verified Member
Love how you now have to get rid of your spoiler. And literally, go on SpiritCraft or Bending Heroes Right Now, and stand in front of a waterbender with airshield. Use Fraps to film what happens, and post it here. Go on. If you don't I refuse to believe what your claim that airshield blocks watermanip.
ADVERTISING

About the main post, I am fine with the AirShield as it is right now. Air is mainly meant for mobility, not defense. I guess a couple changes to AirShield would be good, but it functions well enough for me.

WaterFan99

Verified Member
guys stop arguing about suggestions. It will eventually get denied or accepted, mist will always has an opinion for these types of situations. :p

Tenket

Verified Member
You don't want to get hit ? Jump, run, air shield, airswipe, airburst. Ez af m9
Haha true. I didn't find much difficulty with Air.

Airshield.
Dubbed "the most powerful defensive move" and used by airbenders, the most defensive of the elements...
Does it do much?
NOPE.
Airbending: Goes through it.
Waterbending: Goes through it.
Earthbending: Goes though it.
Firebending: Some stuff blocked, Blaze, Lightning and Walloffire plus the fire combos go right through it.
I'm sensing a pattern here.
Now, I understand that people don't want airbenders to be able to camp right in the open doing nothing but hold shift, but this is ridiculous! If any other element had a move that 3 out of 4 elements were totally immune to, we would be hearing rage continually!
Now I have a solution.
Make Airshield a little like tornado and a little like fireshield.

Tornado requires some time to "charge up" and begin to lift you and other creatures. If you made airshield like this, people wouldn't be able to just "pop it in place" immediately, and would be vulnerable while it was charging. Additionally, you could give it a (reasonably long) duration, at least longer than walloffire, and after that time expired, then the shield would automatically stop and you would have to manually restart it in the same way as before, leaving yourself vulnerable once more. This would prevent continuous camping as everyone would huddle round the outside of the shield, knowing that it would wear off sooner or later.

The other part is having a short duration basic shield. When clicking, there would instantly be a small circular shield of air particles, much like fireshield has, but able to cancel/ redirect BASIC ATTACKS ONLY e.g. earthblast, fireblast, watermanipulation and airswipe. This would last for maybe a second before the airbender would need to click again. This is kind of like the small airshield Aang made underneath Ba'Sing'Se while fighting Zuko, so it's not like it's not canon.

So, to recap:
Full airshield=Deflection of everything BUT with a tornado-like charge time and a fixed duration, after which the shield will break and have to be recharged.
Minor airshield=Instant upon click, but only works in one direction, only lasts for a second or so, and ONLY deflects basic attacks!

Personally, I would gladly give up the projectile-canceling of airswipe for this move to be a thing, which might stop that airswipe spamming that everyone seems to cry about.

What do you guys think?
Sounds like it would be a solid choice. It didnt seem like you could make impenetrable walls of air, it just lasted for a burst.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Haha true. I didn't find much difficulty with Air.

Sounds like it would be a solid choice. It didnt seem like you could make impenetrable walls of air, it just lasted for a burst.
AirShield isn't too much fun either, when I use it, and my enemy starts charging, I quickly change it into an AirStream. BYE OPPONENT!

TheBlueSpirit

Verified Member
Airshield.
Dubbed "the most powerful defensive move" and used by airbenders, the most defensive of the elements...
Does it do much?
NOPE.
Airbending: Goes through it.
Waterbending: Goes through it.
Earthbending: Goes though it.
Firebending: Some stuff blocked, Blaze, Lightning and Walloffire plus the fire combos go right through it.
I'm sensing a pattern here.
Now, I understand that people don't want airbenders to be able to camp right in the open doing nothing but hold shift, but this is ridiculous! If any other element had a move that 3 out of 4 elements were totally immune to, we would be hearing rage continually!
Now I have a solution.
Make Airshield a little like tornado and a little like fireshield.
I find it funny that you say that "if any other element had a move that 3 out of 4 elements were totally immune to, we would be hearing rage continually". Do you know what fireshield does? It blocks fireblast. Not firekick. Not blaze. Not charge fireblast. Not lightning. Not any other fire move. Not any other elemental move. Does it still have usefulness in combat? Actually, yes. Do you hear firebenders constantly complaining about the uselessness of fireshield? No. It's just like that with airshield, except airshield blocks lots more moves, and can be used to physically push people away in combat.
I may not know everything about airbending, but this at least seemed fairly logical to me. Leave the actual debating about the mechanics of what you guys want to change to the experts, but I felt I should leave my two cents.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I find it funny that you say that "if any other element had a move that 3 out of 4 elements were totally immune to, we would be hearing rage continually". Do you know what fireshield does? It blocks fireblast. Not firekick. Not blaze. Not charge fireblast. Not lightning. Not any other fire move. Not any other elemental move. Does it still have usefulness in combat? Actually, yes. Do you hear firebenders constantly complaining about the uselessness of fireshield? No. It's just like that with airshield, except airshield blocks lots more moves, and can be used to physically push people away in combat.
I may not know everything about airbending, but this at least seemed fairly logical to me. Leave the actual debating about the mechanics of what you guys want to change to the experts, but I felt I should leave my two cents.
^ The exact words I was looking for ^

V

Vidcom

Minor correction, it blocks vanilla Combustion, and if you can find a server where firebenders aren't constantly complaining they need more defense and the Shield needs to be made better, please send me the IP...

Status
Not open for further replies.