• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Airshield, and its growing uselessness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Love how you now have to get rid of your spoiler. And literally, go on SpiritCraft or Bending Heroes Right Now, and stand in front of a waterbender with airshield. Use Fraps to film what happens, and post it here. Go on. If you don't I refuse to believe what your claim that airshield blocks watermanip.
OMFG!!!! THIS NOOB

You make me rage. I know BH. I know Rune could have changed AirShield, are you THAT stupid ? And btw, I wouldn't be standing in front of a water bender with air shield, because that's just a stupid thing to do. Where's the fun in that?

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Which is why air has an ability called AirSHIELD, which, if you type /b h airshield, calls itself "the most powerful defensive move". Sorry mate, Air was meant to be the defensive one. Also look on the wiki on airbending, and it will say that Airbending is primarily defensive. No worries.
Air is not defense. I wouldn't believe everything the wiki tells you. Air is the element of freedom, and what's more free than mobility? Nothing. They even have the move called flight. Earth is the most defensive.

KylarThorne

Verified Member
Actually airbenders are pretty all around, mainly mobility, while earth is the defense element.
Which is why air has an ability called AirSHIELD, which, if you type /b h airshield, calls itself "the most powerful defensive move". Sorry mate, Air was meant to be the defensive one. Also look on the wiki on airbending, and it will say that Airbending is primarily defensive. No worries.
OMFG!!!! THIS NOOB

You make me rage. I know BH. I know Rune could have changed AirShield, are you THAT stupid ? And btw, I wouldn't be standing in front of a water bender with air shield, because that's just a stupid thing to do. Where's the fun in that?
Dude, if you're really that concerned that rune changed it, go on spiritcraft. That's RUN by Kiam. Try it there. Also, if airshield blocks water moves, why would it be stupid? Are you scared I'll prove you right? Go on. Do it, and record video of it. Post it here. Then we'll see.

KylarThorne

Verified Member
Air is not defense. I wouldn't believe everything the wiki tells you. Air is the element of freedom, and what's more free than mobility? Nothing. They even have the move called flight. Earth is the most defensive.
In the anime, almost all of aang's airbending in combat is defensive. he hardly ever uses damaging moves, and deflects projectiles. He even makes an minor Airshield like the one I described in the catacombs under Ba'sing'se, and the main constituent of the Elemental Avatar Sphere is an Airshield. the fact is, air is defensive, not offensive. The only other option I can see is making airstream and airblast redirect projectiles. Now That would be about right.
Earth. While I admit it has its defensive advantages, earth is meant to be a balance between offense and defense. Neutral jing, remember? Now that you cannot argue with.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
In the anime, almost all of aang's airbending in combat is defensive. he hardly ever uses damaging moves, and deflects projectiles. He even makes an minor Airshield like the one I described in the catacombs under Ba'sing'se, and the main constituent of the Elemental Avatar Sphere is an Airshield. the fact is, air is defensive, not offensive. The only other option I can see is making airstream and airblast redirect projectiles. Now That would be about right.
Earth. While I admit it has its defensive advantages, earth is meant to be a balance between offense and defense. Neutral jing, remember? Now that you cannot argue with.
Actually I can because
A: jings do not only apply to one element.
B: I have to wonder if you watched any of the parts where Aang used airbending for mobility over defense.
C: I never said air was offense.

Of Light Rain

Verified Member
Airshield:

Watermanipulation - Blocked
Icespike - Blocked

Fireblast - Blocked
Fireburst - Blocked
Firekick - Blocked (range is too short)
Combustion - Blocked

Earthblast - Blocked
Metalclips - Blocked (Unsure)

All of these moves are the primary attacks of opposing elements. Fire, and metalclips being/haveing more. Do you really need more moves to be blocked? Sure sure, go and block torrent, surge, lightning, earthsmash, and airswipe. That'll make it much more helpful. No, don't misinterpret me. I am being sarcastic. Because fire is fire, it makes sense that more moves are blocked, however moves like (A Huge Boulder Bigger Than Your Body) earthsmash wouldn't make sense if they were blocked due to the amount of force they are being launched with. Same goes for torrent, lightning, shockwave, and firewheel.

In my opinion, airshield is already pretty OP. Due to nooby firebenders spamming fireburst, and idiotic waterbenders who can't seem to scroll off their watermanipulation slot. It's a perfectly fine move with all of its uses being valid.

Say you're in the middle of an earth vs air fight. You, the airbender, decide to camp with airshield. The earthbender is forced to revert to charge up moves in order to attack you. Because these moves take time to charge up that gives you time to avoid. Get it? Got it? Good.

Same goes for water. A majority of smart waterbenders stick with watermanipulation spam. Why? Because it's easy to keep the damage up, and easy to control. An airbender's counter for this is airshield. What does water do when air uses airshield? They use iceblast or torrent of course. Why do they use those? Because iceblast is easy to hit stationary targets. Air is not normally stationary unless using shield. Torrent works under the same principles as earthsmash.

Fire only one effective counter for airshield, and that is lightning. Why? Because lightning is unpredictable. Due to this, it's easy to hit a stationary target such as airshield users.

KylarThorne

Verified Member
Actually I can because
A: jings do not only apply to one element.
B: I have to wonder if you watched any of the parts where Aang used airbending for mobility over defense.
C: I never said air was offense.
A: Earth uses neutral jing "waiting and listening" defensive "for the right moment to strike" offensive. King Bumi backs me up here. While earth is the more defensive of earth and water, it is meant to be a mix of both offense and defense.
B: I agree, but air has no dodge mechanic, or at least, none that's any better than say fire. Yes, air has the mobility over long distances, but it's no better than fire in short distances.
C: No, but air has to have either offensive skill or defensive skill in order to be competitive and balanced with the other elements. If its not defensive, what is it?

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
A: Earth uses neutral jing "waiting and listening" defensive "for the right moment to strike" offensive. King Bumi backs me up here. While earth is the more defensive of earth and water, it is meant to be a mix of both offense and defense.
No, benders have all different types of styles. That was his jing he used when his city was taken. It had nothing to do with his bending.
B: I agree, but air has no dodge mechanic, or at least, none that's any better than say fire. Yes, air has the mobility over long distances, but it's no better than fire in short distances.
Air is faster than the other elements, literally it gives you speed and jump boost. If you can't overpower someone then just run circled around them.
C: No, but air has to have either offensive skill or defensive skill in order to be competitive and balanced with the other elements. If its not defensive, what is it?
I believe I said this before. Air is more mobility based.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member

Dude, if you're really that concerned that rune changed it, go on spiritcraft. That's RUN by Kiam. Try it there. Also, if airshield blocks water moves, why would it be stupid? Are you scared I'll prove you right? Go on. Do it, and record video of it. Post it here. Then we'll see.
Who said I am searching for a server? I love BH, and I love FH even more.

KylarThorne

Verified Member
Airshield:

Watermanipulation - Blocked
Icespike - Blocked

Fireblast - Blocked
Fireburst - Blocked
Firekick - Blocked (range is too short)
Combustion - Blocked

Earthblast - Blocked
Metalclips - Blocked (Unsure)

All of these moves are the primary attacks of opposing elements. Fire, and metalclips being/haveing more. Do you really need more moves to be blocked? Sure sure, go and block torrent, surge, lightning, earthsmash, and airswipe. That'll make it much more helpful. No, don't misinterpret me. I am being sarcastic. Because fire is fire, it makes sense that more moves are blocked, however moves like (A Huge Boulder Bigger Than Your Body) earthsmash wouldn't make sense if they were blocked due to the amount of force they are being launched with. Same goes for torrent, lightning, shockwave, and firewheel.

In my opinion, airshield is already pretty OP. Due to nooby firebenders spamming fireburst, and idiotic waterbenders who can't seem to scroll off their watermanipulation slot. It's a perfectly fine move with all of its uses being valid.

Say you're in the middle of an earth vs air fight. You, the airbender, decide to camp with airshield. The earthbender is forced to revert to charge up moves in order to attack you. Because these moves take time to charge up that gives you time to avoid. Get it? Got it? Good.

Same goes for water. A majority of smart waterbenders stick with watermanipulation spam. Why? Because it's easy to keep the damage up, and easy to control. An airbender's counter for this is airshield. What does water do when air uses airshield? They use iceblast or torrent of course. Why do they use those? Because iceblast is easy to hit stationary targets. Air is not normally stationary unless using shield. Torrent works under the same principles as earthsmash.

Fire only one effective counter for airshield, and that is lightning. Why? Because lightning is unpredictable. Due to this, it's easy to hit a stationary target such as airshield users.
Your points on fire I totally agree with. Yes, no more should be done for fire, lightning is the correct counter, alongside blaze, etc. However, I disagree with your opinion on the blocking of water and earth. I have been hit with water and earth hundreds of times with airshield up, make no mention of the fact that airswipe, essentially a blade of moving air, cannot be blocked BY MOVING AIR. Metalclips I am unsure about, but yes I believe it may be blocked because it uses a drop as a projectile.
The problem with airshield is that, yes, it is OP in many ways. But not in the right ways. An airbender can currently walk into a firebender fight, pop an airshield up, and just camp. I don't think that's right. If an airbender tried to do that with the airshield changes I am suggesting, he would die. He can only block one fireblast at a time with a minor airshield, and by the time he charged up a major airshield, he'd be toast. This is what I am suggesting, not an airshield just like the one currently but unbeatable, but a shield with vulnerabilities that does its job properly. Thank you.
Oh and just as a point of clarity, Aang redirected Bumi's "earthsmash" with a tornado which didn't just block it, but redirected it. Are you suggesting that tornado should redirect projectiles? Also, Aang crashed straight through several columns of rock and was unaffected by Ozai's OP firebending using his airshield (granted in avatar state, but still).

Last edited:

KylarThorne

Verified Member
Who said I am searching for a server? I love BH, and I love FH even more.
FH?Which one's that? And now I believe you're deliberately attempting to misunderstand me. All I want is video proof from you that airshield blocks watermanip/ earthblast. That is all. Do it, or your entire argument is invalid.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
FH?Which one's that? And now I believe you're deliberately attempting to misunderstand me. All I want is video proof from you that airshield blocks watermanip/ earthblast. That is all. Do it, or your entire argument is invalid.
Instead of complaining about things people have been working on, try to get some more skill, instead of asking for a move which allows you to just stand there and hold shift till you are on full health again.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I can do you one better. Here is the exact code used for determining what is blocked by airshield:
FireBlast.removeFireBlastsAroundPoint(origin, radius);
Combustion.removeAroundPoint(origin, radius);
WaterManipulation.removeAroundPoint(origin, radius);
EarthBlast.removeAroundPoint(origin, radius);

There are four moves blocked.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I can do you one better. Here is the exact code used for determining what is blocked by airshield:

KylarThorne

Verified Member
Instead of complaining about things people have been working on, try to get some more skill, instead of asking for a move which allows you to just stand there and hold shift till you are on full health again.
READ THE START OF THE DAMN THREAD!!!! You can't just camp and hold shift, the shield would have a time limit LIKE I STATED AT THE VERY BEGINNING. If you're going to sit and criticise without even reading what a wrote as the damn premise, then why can't you just leave, and save us all time. We HAVE airshield. It needs improvement. I am suggesting an improvement that reduces some OP issues and actually solves others. Do you really WANT everyone to just spam basic attacks?

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
READ THE START OF THE DAMN THREAD!!!! You can't just camp and hold shift, the shield would have a time limit LIKE I STATED AT THE VERY BEGINNING. If you're going to sit and criticise without even reading what a wrote as the damn premise, then why can't you just leave, and save us all time. We HAVE airshield. It needs improvement. I am suggesting an improvement that reduces some OP issues and actually solves others. Do you really WANT everyone to just spam basic attacks?
Do I spam basic attacks when I am an airbender? No. I use airblast, airburst, airswipe, and airsweep (And AirPunch, custom move made for a server) to attack.
Once again, learn how to bend.

KylarThorne

Verified Member

Thanks for the clarification. Fireblast and combustion I knew, but personally I have never seen a successful block of watermanip or earthblast, perhaps that should be checked by admin? Regardless, surely airshield should block its own offensive move, airswipe? You're firing an air current at another air current, the airswipe shouldn't just pass straight through. In any case, removing only four relatively basic moves is hardly "the most powerful defensive move", is it? As I suggested at the start of the thread, the minor airshield would block these, though personally I would be happy with combustion not being blocked by the minor airshield, but the major airshield would be slower to charge, like a tornado, but far more powerful. Given that Aang redirected the equivalent of a giant earthsmash with a tornado when fighting King Bumi, and blasted straight through all of Ozai's comet-enhanced firebending and various columns of rock with the avatar airshield, I don't think blocking most of the moves, aside from some, obviously (I would suggest that octopusform is unblockable), is beyond a major, slow-charged airshield. I mean, the charge time can be played around with, but I feel the premise is sound.

KylarThorne

Verified Member
Do I spam basic attacks when I am an airbender? No. I use airblast, airburst, airswipe, and airsweep (And AirPunch, custom move made for a server) to attack.
Once again, learn how to bend.
Answer the statement, don't avoid it talking about the spamming. Have you read the bit is the VERY FIRST COMMENT where I talked about the major version of airshield having a timer? Well, guess what, I SUGGESTED A TIMER SPECIFICALLY TO STOP CAMPING! RTFM, dude. So your comment about camping until health has regened fully shows both your laziness and your ignorance.
Also, you need to remove your spoiler tag. It's just plain wrong.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Answer the statement, don't avoid it talking about the spamming. Have you read the bit is the VERY FIRST COMMENT where I talked about the major version of airshield having a timer? Well, guess what, I SUGGESTED A TIMER SPECIFICALLY TO STOP CAMPING! RTFM, dude. So your comment about camping until health has regened fully shows both your laziness and your ignorance.
Also, you need to remove your spoiler tag. It's just plain wrong.
First off, you do not need to be rude. Second he doesn't have to do anything.
Thanks for the clarification. Fireblast and combustion I knew, but personally I have never seen a successful block of watermanip or earthblast, perhaps that should be checked by admin? Regardless, surely airshield should block its own offensive move, airswipe? You're firing an air current at another air current, the airswipe shouldn't just pass straight through. In any case, removing only four relatively basic moves is hardly "the most powerful defensive move", is it? As I suggested at the start of the thread, the minor airshield would block these, though personally I would be happy with combustion not being blocked by the minor airshield, but the major airshield would be slower to charge, like a tornado, but far more powerful. Given that Aang redirected the equivalent of a giant earthsmash with a tornado when fighting King Bumi, and blasted straight through all of Ozai's comet-enhanced firebending and various columns of rock with the avatar airshield, I don't think blocking most of the moves, aside from some, obviously (I would suggest that octopusform is unblockable), is beyond a major, slow-charged airshield. I mean, the charge time can be played around with, but I feel the premise is sound.
If you haven't, that suggests that the move wasn't being used correctly, or the airshield was not fully formed yet. And no, airbending was shown to block airbending pretty well in the show. All the elements do in fact, they block their own element pretty well. Or have a way to dodge or redirect.

Status
Not open for further replies.