• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Airshield, and its growing uselessness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KylarThorne

Verified Member
Airshield.
Dubbed "the most powerful defensive move" and used by airbenders, the most defensive of the elements...
Does it do much?
NOPE.
Airbending: Goes through it.
Waterbending: Goes through it.
Earthbending: Goes though it.
Firebending: Some stuff blocked, Blaze, Lightning and Walloffire plus the fire combos go right through it.
I'm sensing a pattern here.
Now, I understand that people don't want airbenders to be able to camp right in the open doing nothing but hold shift, but this is ridiculous! If any other element had a move that 3 out of 4 elements were totally immune to, we would be hearing rage continually!
Now I have a solution.
Make Airshield a little like tornado and a little like fireshield.

Tornado requires some time to "charge up" and begin to lift you and other creatures. If you made airshield like this, people wouldn't be able to just "pop it in place" immediately, and would be vulnerable while it was charging. Additionally, you could give it a (reasonably long) duration, at least longer than walloffire, and after that time expired, then the shield would automatically stop and you would have to manually restart it in the same way as before, leaving yourself vulnerable once more. This would prevent continuous camping as everyone would huddle round the outside of the shield, knowing that it would wear off sooner or later.

The other part is having a short duration basic shield. When clicking, there would instantly be a small circular shield of air particles, much like fireshield has, but able to cancel/ redirect BASIC ATTACKS ONLY e.g. earthblast, fireblast, watermanipulation and airswipe. This would last for maybe a second before the airbender would need to click again. This is kind of like the small airshield Aang made underneath Ba'Sing'Se while fighting Zuko, so it's not like it's not canon.

So, to recap:
Full airshield=Deflection of everything BUT with a tornado-like charge time and a fixed duration, after which the shield will break and have to be recharged.
Minor airshield=Instant upon click, but only works in one direction, only lasts for a second or so, and ONLY deflects basic attacks!

Personally, I would gladly give up the projectile-canceling of airswipe for this move to be a thing, which might stop that airswipe spamming that everyone seems to cry about.

What do you guys think?

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
Airbending: Goes through it.
Waterbending: Goes through it.
Earthbending: Goes though it.
Firebending: Some stuff blocked, Blaze, Lightning and Walloffire plus the fire combos go right through it.
Airbending: Only has one direct damaging move, and if you block that it'd be impossible to have air 1v1s..
Waterbending: Watermanipulation is blocked.
Earthbending: Earthblast is blocked
Firebending: FLYING fire is block (Fireblast and Burst)
If more stuff gets blocked, it'll become extremely OP

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Airbending: Only has one direct damaging move, and if you block that it'd be impossible to have air 1v1s..
I'm pretty sure combustion is blocked too.

KingKamikaze21

Verified Member
One thing I do want I'd for air shield to be expanded by like one more block, for some reason if a chi blocker runs at you from a diagonal angle that goes with your shield they can SOMEHOW Pierce the shield and stop you from using it :/

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
One thing I do want I'd for air shield to be expanded by like one more block, for some reason if a chi blocker runs at you from a diagonal angle that goes with your shield they can SOMEHOW Pierce the shield and stop you from using it :/
Let's not start to debut chi any more (>–.–)>

KylarThorne

Verified Member
You don't want to get hit ? Jump, run, air shield, airswipe, airburst. Ez af m9
Can I just point out that while this is a valid strategy, you still have the problem that one of your abilities DOESN'T WORK! While I appreciate your point, this is not a thread about how to not be hit, it is about how to improve the functionality of a move. Thank you.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Can I just point out that while this is a valid strategy, you still have the problem that one of your abilities DOESN'T WORK! While I appreciate your point, this is not a thread about how to not be hit, it is about how to improve the functionality of a move. Thank you.
which one doesn't? Also, air shield is OP already.

KylarThorne

Verified Member
Zmeduna, I respect you. I really appreciate that map you built on bending heroes, which they still use. However, I am slightly questioning when the last time you blocked a water move with airshield. Clue: The answer is you haven't. The same with earth and air. Also, if you looked at my point on fire, you may notice that I agree with you there. Most fire projectiles are blocked, though I have seen many a firejet+walloffire that have somehow broken through. However, some really irritating moves are not blocked, like blaze. Lightning i can sort of understand, as lightning involves splitting air molecules into plasma, thereby bypassing the shield. Air 1v1s would still be viable, as the minor airshield would only block one attack before it dissolved, so the airswipe spamming you seem to love would still have a chance. Also, READ WHAT I WROTE. IT BALANCES BECAUSE YOU CAN'T CAMP WITH IT AND YOU CAN'T ATTACK WITH IT!!! Seriously, read, it's more of a temporary measure than a "boom your projectiles will not harm me ever again" move.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Zmeduna, I respect you. I really appreciate that map you built on bending heroes, which they still use. However, I am slightly questioning when the last time you blocked a water move with airshield. Clue: The answer is you haven't. The same with earth and air. Also, if you looked at my point on fire, you may notice that I agree with you there. Most fire projectiles are blocked, though I have seen many a firejet+walloffire that have somehow broken through. However, some really irritating moves are not blocked, like blaze. Lightning i can sort of understand, as lightning involves splitting air molecules into plasma, thereby bypassing the shield. Air 1v1s would still be viable, as the minor airshield would only block one attack before it dissolved, so the airswipe spamming you seem to love would still have a chance. Also, READ WHAT I WROTE. IT BALANCES BECAUSE YOU CAN'T CAMP WITH IT AND YOU CAN'T ATTACK WITH IT!!! Seriously, read, it's more of a temporary measure than a "boom your projectiles will not harm me ever again" move.
Srsly, learn how to bend. The purpose of air shield is not to block everything.
I am slightly questioning when the last time you blocked a water move with airshield. Clue: The answer is you haven't.
I have blocked many water attacks using air shield.

Am I the only one who get's annoyed by bending noobs asking for OP moves?

KylarThorne

Verified Member
which one doesn't? Also, air shield is OP already.
Some moves seem to work absolutely fine to me. Take fireblast, the bread-and-butter of a firebender's arsenal. It's fast, reasonably damaging and IT CAN BE BLOCKED. Now, I don't know what games you play (most likely singleplayer where your character is OP and no-one can complain), but in multiplayer games there are few things more annoying than an unblockable move, like firecomet. The shield I have suggested is balanced, as the minor shield is useless against any but the most spammable, least damaging moves, and the major shield takes time to charge up and only lasts for a short length of time. It actually reduces the OP element of "I can sit in my bubble all day holding shift, and instead makes the shield more tactical. READ WHAT I POSTED.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Some moves seem to work absolutely fine to me. Take fireblast, the bread-and-butter of a firebender's arsenal. It's fast, reasonably damaging and IT CAN BE BLOCKED. Now, I don't know what games you play (most likely singleplayer where your character is OP and no-one can complain), but in multiplayer games there are few things more annoying than an unblockable move, like firecomet. The shield I have suggested is balanced, as the minor shield is useless against any but the most spammable, least damaging moves, and the major shield takes time to charge up and only lasts for a short length of time. It actually reduces the OP element of "I can sit in my bubble all day holding shift, and instead makes the shield more tactical. READ WHAT I POSTED.
FireComet is an add-on ability, you can only complain about stock abilities here.

I'm actually laughing atm. Air shield blocks the most important moves, watermanip, earth blast and fireblast(couple more). I've been a bender for a couple of years now, I am a developer and admin on a server. Btw, fireblast is everything but fine. For example, you can only shoot 1 at a time, and it's not fast.

Once again, learn how to bend.

KylarThorne

Verified Member
Srsly, learn how to bend. The purpose of air shield is not to block everything.

I have blocked many water attacks using air shield.

Am I the only one who get's annoyed by bending noobs asking for OP moves?
Finnbonn, pictorial evidence or it really, really never happened. Also, if airshield is not for blocking moves, might I ask what you think it is for? Picking flowers? It's called "the most powerful defensive move" in the description, I wonder why that is? Because its MEANT to block virtually nothing? Good job on the logic, mate. Also, I have been using this plugin for several years now. I am not a noob, I am merely someone who understands the concept of balance. If Fire is all offense, barely any defense? Fine, that's OK, because fire has burst damage. Water and earth have OK defense and offense, but not as much damage as fire? Fine, that's how they're supposed to be. Air has the least damage but a great defense? Fi-OH WAIT THEY HAVE A REALLY SHODDY DEFENSE.

Also, I can refute your claim that all avatars mastered flight. Aang was in an AIR SPHERE "no visible bending" you say? I'm sorry what's that, I can't hear you OVER THE SOUND OF THAT AIR SPHERE! Also Aang's spiritual journey was not typical, many avatars did not open their chakras, there are other ways of mastering the avatar state than opening the chakras. Korra didn't. Roku didn't. CLAIM REFUTED.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Finnbonn, pictorial evidence or it really, really never happened. Also, if airshield is not for blocking moves, might I ask what you think it is for? Picking flowers? It's called "the most powerful defensive move" in the description, I wonder why that is? Because its MEANT to block virtually nothing? Good job on the logic, mate. Also, I have been using this plugin for several years now. I am not a noob, I am merely someone who understands the concept of balance. If Fire is all offense, barely any defense? Fine, that's OK, because fire has burst damage. Water and earth have OK defense and offense, but not as much damage as fire? Fine, that's how they're supposed to be. Air has the least damage but a great defense? Fi-OH WAIT THEY HAVE A REALLY SHODDY DEFENSE.
They can easily get themselves out of a fight, that's what ppl mean. AirShield does block moves, stop saying it doesn't.]

If you want air shield to be overpowered as f*ck, then go ahead and modify the ProjectKorra.jar, if you are that desperate for it ;)

Finnbon*

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Finnbonn, pictorial evidence or it really, really never happened. Also, if airshield is not for blocking moves, might I ask what you think it is for? Picking flowers? It's called "the most powerful defensive move" in the description, I wonder why that is? Because its MEANT to block virtually nothing? Good job on the logic, mate. Also, I have been using this plugin for several years now. I am not a noob, I am merely someone who understands the concept of balance. If Fire is all offense, barely any defense? Fine, that's OK, because fire has burst damage. Water and earth have OK defense and offense, but not as much damage as fire? Fine, that's how they're supposed to be. Air has the least damage but a great defense? Fi-OH WAIT THEY HAVE A REALLY SHODDY DEFENSE
Actually airbenders are pretty all around, mainly mobility, while earth is the defense element.

KylarThorne

Verified Member
They can easily get themselves out of a fight, that's what ppl mean. AirShield does block moves, stop saying it doesn't.]

If you want air shield to be overpowered as f*ck, then go ahead and modify the ProjectKorra.jar, if you are that desperate for it ;)

Finnbon*
Love how you now have to get rid of your spoiler. And literally, go on SpiritCraft or Bending Heroes Right Now, and stand in front of a waterbender with airshield. Use Fraps to film what happens, and post it here. Go on. If you don't I refuse to believe what your claim that airshield blocks watermanip.

KylarThorne

Verified Member
Actually airbenders are pretty all around, mainly mobility, while earth is the defense element.
Which is why air has an ability called AirSHIELD, which, if you type /b h airshield, calls itself "the most powerful defensive move". Sorry mate, Air was meant to be the defensive one. Also look on the wiki on airbending, and it will say that Airbending is primarily defensive. No worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.