• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

WaterArms Grapple

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
It is kinda too op in means of transportation. Not only that, but it isn't even logical to me. Let's say If I was a waterbender right now in real life in this room, while having waterarms on me, launching my tentacle at the feet a meters away, I wouldn't be able to pull myself. Same principle as throwing a rope on a floor without it grasping onto anything.

The Same case for walls that are smooth/

In here, I'll be making it more logical and less mobile that doesn't leave at the same level or close to airbender's.

Horizontal surfaces

This version should either be: 1)Removed; 2)or...

Grapples will be only capable to attached onto gaps that are to be 1 width blocks. While this gives more sense how the mechanics of "grasping onto stuff" works, it might be impossible to pin point the gap with precisely aim from a huge distance. With that in mind, I propose to make the difficulty of it a little bit ease-friendly, by the ability doing a plugin-check to check whenever the area of a gap and non-gap that is clicked is 1-3 blocks width (vertical wise) away from either of two gaps in between it. Below you'll see a scheme in a spoiler format for you to easily understand what I had min explaining this mind-twisting thing.

Grapple.png

The Exception goes to leaf blocks; allowing them to surf on a floor of leaves without any gaps. That is because I imagine them having solid branches in them that can be grabbed onto.

Vertical surfaces

Grapples will be only capable to attached onto gaps that are to be 1 width blocks. While this gives more sense how the mechanics of "grasping onto stuff" works, it might be impossible to pin point the gap with precisely aim from a huge distance. With that in mind, I propose to make the difficulty of it a little bit ease-friendly, by the ability doing a plugin-check to check whenever the area of a gap and non-gap that is clicked is 1-3 blocks width (vertical wise) away from either of two gaps in between it. Below you'll see a scheme in a spoiler format for you to easily understand what I had min explaining this mind-twisting thing.

Da second lol.png

The Exception goes to leaf blocks; allowing them to climb on a wall of leaves without any gaps. That is because I imagine them having solid branches in them that can be grabbed onto.

Other (UN-)Necessary Details:

• The Tip of the tentacle will always hook on the side/edge of a block, that is closest (lower/near as in wall/ground) to the player.

• Whenever a gap block is clicked, it will "search" for the closest air block near it facing the player, which is hook-able.
    • Whenever a non-gap block is clicked, it will "search" for the closest air block near it facing the player, which is hookable

Last edited:

SuperBower118

Verified Member
I disagree as Ming Hua has shown very op uses of waterarms grapple and it is quite canon.
Actually, the Grapple feature right now doesn't grapple- it flings you to where you want to go and it can get pretty annoying. Just because a feature is OP in the show doesn't mean it should be like that in the game.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Ming hua attached her tenracles to something they could wrap on it. Like If a throw a rope on a width big smooth wall then on a pole, would that allow me to pull myself or swoosh anywhere. That's how I can compare these appleandanges (akward spelling ik).

While you could create a sharp ice hooks on the tip of them to spear objects and travel up stuff like Ming-hua, but seeing her scaling up a wall with them was a slow and less manuevarable mobile technique, which gives me a thought that it isn't the best
method on doing means-of-transportation.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
And you gotta remember that this is bending: Firebending doesn't grow out of trees nor do they bend, Airbending can't be used in outter space, Avatar can tnt the whole world and Waterbenders don't have any side effects, including the risk of spontansiously die of hipotermia.remember that this bending: Firebending doesn't grow out of trees nor do they bend, Airbending can't be used in outter space, Avatar can tnt the whole world and Waterbenders don't have any side effects, including the risk of spontansiously die of hipotermia.

Ok now with the real analogy. Catapults should work when not necessary standing but required to have an bendable block in the inventory. Firejet will propel players backwards and AirScooter will work without sprinting, because like you said - "this is minecraft". Not sure what are you trying to point out there for my grapple mode tweak.

Also, as I said and I will repeat it again, this Suggestion is not just about making the grapple realistic, but to weaken its mobility so that it isn't (a)like airbender's.

Last edited:

NickC1211

Verified Member
And you gotta remember that this is bending: Firebending doesn't grow out of trees nor do they bend, Airbending can't be used in outter space, Avatar can tnt the whole world and Waterbenders don't have any side effects, including the risk of spontansiously die of hipotermia.remember that this bending: Firebending doesn't grow out of trees nor do they bend, Airbending can't be used in outter space, Avatar can tnt the whole world and Waterbenders don't have any side effects, including the risk of spontansiously die of hipotermia.

Ok now with the real analogy. Catapults should work when not necessary standing but required to have an bendable block in the inventory. Firejet will propel players backwards and AirScooter will work without sprinting, because like you said - "this is minecraft". Not sure what are you trying to point out there for my grapple mode tweak.

Also, as I said and I will repeat it again, this Suggestion is not just about making the grapple realistic, but to weaken its mobility so that it isn't (a)like airbender's.
You lost me up until the end

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Sorry, but how did I "lost you"?

Googled the idiom, because I didn't know what it actually meant, lol. Anyway, Bryan implies "this is minecraft" without elaborating why he says that. If that kind of vague argument is used in one of the mobily abilities, I can and will say the same thing for other abilities.

Grapple physics shouldn't be applied? Well heck, catapult shouldn't too because "this is minecraft" - a simple block pushed with a piston doesn't sent you flying in 100km/h or who knows where&went.

Last edited:

Vahagn

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
The thing with grappling is that water is able to cling to things with surface tension, as well as seeping through tiny cracks.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
1. What do you mean by surface tension?
2. Closest thing you can get in having "tiny cracks" in the game are called slabs... Actually, I believe there is a block, if not mistaken stone brick type, that has cracks.
a)Now that you said it I believe both of these could be applied to the "exception" list, like the leaves.​

OmniCypher

Staff member
Lead Developer
Administrator
Plugin Developer
Naw, this is totally possible. It does require more processing power to run because if you think about it, it adds a whole new step to checking if a block is valid to grab. As it stands now you click, the arm extends and it checks if the arm hits a block within range. If you add this new functionality you have to add the additional step of checking whether that block you hit is valid to grab or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.