• Proceed with caution! Unofficial add-on plugins and abilities are not supported by the ProjectKorra staff. We will not provide support for broken add-ons. Download at your own risk.
  • Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Question for the developers

Immallama

Verified Member
I really want to start learning Java but honestly, I have no idea where to start. I don't know whether I should buy a book, watch video tutorials, or find some website to teach me. I have almost no knowledge on how to even begin coding but like I said, I really want to learn.

Any tips? Where should I start? How should I learn? Should I even try?

Thanks.

Edit: My bad, just realized where I posted this... These forums probably aren't even the right place to be asking.

NinjaK

Verified Member
As far as I know, it's really easy to learn Java if you know C# or any similar language. Know any coding languages?

Immallama

Verified Member
The thread can just be moved rather than deleted, I believe.
I don't even think there's a section for this kind of stuff. I missed that this section was under downloads. Kinda thought it was just for any miscellaneous topics.

xX_FireGaming_Xx

Verified Member
I really want to start learning Java but honestly, I have no idea where to start. I don't know whether I should buy a book, watch video tutorials, or find some website to teach me. I have almost no knowledge on how to even begin coding but like I said, I really want to learn.

Any tips? Where should I start? How should I learn? Should I even try?

Thanks.

Edit: My bad, just realized where I posted this... These forums probably aren't even the right place to be asking.
you should try coding because i think you can make awesome things with coding! i an teach u how to code in PM ill message u now

HiddenCloud

Verified Member
The Bukkit API isn't a good way to start learning java, you have to understand how java works first then learn how to use java's features efficiently to write good and maintainable code. Learning from Bukkit API won't help you understand and fully utilize the programming language Java. My suggestion is learn the basics of java from here: http://youtube.com/thenewboston and then when you develop a better understanding learn from online tutorials, like from this site http://tutorialspoint.com. If you really wanna learn Java you'll have to struggle, if you don't understand something give it sometime and then later give it another go, don't completely give up on it.

AlexTheCoder

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Yeah do that. I didn't and I'm probably gonna regret it later in life. I have little to no idea how to use Java outside of Minecraft/Bukkit

Immallama

Verified Member
Yeah do that. I didn't and I'm probably gonna regret it later in life. I have little to no idea how to use Java outside of Minecraft/Bukkit
Forgot to ask you this. How much coding experience did you have before starting Java and how long did it take you to learn? (I don't expect to learn in a day and I'm prepared to spend a lot of time on this, but it'd be nice to know.)

AlexTheCoder

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I already knew a lot of website coding. It took me a few months of reading/watching tutorials before I was at the stage where I could independently make a plugin.

jas2431

Personally, I learned coding through college. However, you probably do not have access to any college courses so if you like, I can show you what I know.
Anyway, some java is only useful to learn for making plugins/"abilities". However, other java like GUIs are not useful. GUIs (if you don't already know) are what the user visually sees. A plugin cannot deal with GUIs because it controls the server, not the client; it cannot add new colors and blocks. However, if you learn Java, I would recommend you learn it completely... Not just the parts for a plugin. Learning a programming language can be useful for the rest of your life: even if you do not enter a programming career. Programming can make tools, plugins, hacks, robots, data writers, data sensors, key listeners, calculators, etc. These could all be useful for, say, an architectural engineering degree, aerospace, aerodynamics, physics, biology, chemistry, astronomy, meteorology, etc. Overall, you should not take any shortcuts when learning to program. And like I said earlier, I can help you start off in programming java.

My take on learning from YouTube:
Learning from YouTube is honestly not the best way to learn java. Reading a website, book, or being taught by an instructor while programming at the same time small programs that demonstrate what you are learning is the best way to learn because you are memorizing and solidifying what you just learned by showing yourself that you can so the same kind of thing. So I would recommend getting started from a non-YouTube source. Maybe do some YouTube when you understand the basics... but not until then.

Java's Library of awesome tools:
When you download java, the reason it is so big is because java has a HUGE library of tools that are all very simple to use. Due to their immense size, I highly doubt anyone has memorized all the names and all the tools that are available. Even I still use the internet to learn about them when I forget how to use something. This library is where the tools for building GUIs are kept. When beginning java, you will learn the most basic of these files, then you will more and more until you do not need guides anymore, and can just learn through Oracle's documentation of these. That is when I believe is when you can branch into programming plugins. Sadly, this will take a lot of time, but it is all worth it not just for fun right now, but in the future as we'll.

ashe36

Verified Member
Android also released a neat little app coder device back in 2011 that essentially makes a building-block code. Although you don't have to experience the actual code, it still gives you some of the structure and event experience. It's called AppInventor