• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

New Mechanic exclusively to Waterbending & First "Move"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Currently, we have a system made out of 3 mechanics how the bending works/triggers: through Technique, Combo and Passive (Technique). I have thought of a new mechanic that could only be applied for waterbenders, making their elemental bending more abit differently to the other three. This could be called "Transition". Of course, to make waterbenders not that much different with his own unique independent mechanic, I'll think of other ones for the other 3 elements individually. Firstly, I wanna let you know that I will be briefly explaining this new mechanic while giving my first thought technique (skill?) for it.

Torrent-Wave: before I start talking about it, I would like to give a worth mention that this is the reference that gave me this idea of this mechanic.

Basically as seen in the video. the waterbender made a long compact tube snake shape water construct that upon its release all the water spread out into a wave. So shall we introduce it into the game? Here's how it will work:
  1. the waterbender start by picking out a source from a water body (required for it to be atleast 4x4 infinitive; 1x3 center) for torrent technique. This will in indicated that (let the bender be a female) she will be using that ability's construct shape or feature for the Transition.
  2. While Scrolling/Switching through slots, the source will still be selecting to every water abilities, including the ones that aren't using bendable source blocks.
  3. Than the bender will hold shift with surge technique chosen, which will result a curved tube water construct to emerge from the source to stream up in where the bender's crossheir located. Here's it's features:
    • The Stream will follow the bender's crossheir whenever he moves, adjusting the tip of the whip back to it.
    • Walking further away will cause the stream to expand in length, yet still leaving it unseperated from its origin.
    • Walking away 16 blocks will allow to shoot a wave/flood of the size of a full surge on the solid barrier impact.
    • With Right feature, the water travels along the ground the same pace as if placed with a bucket normally.
    • Another waterbender can grab (the not launched one) the stream with the crouch key, using the stream as their own.
  4. With this, you can cause a few things to happen
  • To shoot it, left click, which will stream towards, closely similar to torrent. Unlike torrent it can't deal damage nor freeze anything(-one), but it can carry people or even knock them back (depending of the proportion of block the target is standing in of the streams wake). Since the Surge Technique was contributing (co-operating?) with the torrent technique in formation of this Transition, it uses both of these abilities features/properties/charateristic (torrent's sizes and speed; surge's knocback aspect) to work together in a creation in a combined one devastating powerfull move/attack.
  • Right Clicking on a block will place the block, leaving it to defy its natural physics
  • If it crashes on to any far off wall/surface, it will cause a flood, which the size of it will depend of how many blocks long was it as a stream (usefull, when in need to release it a cliff patern downside road with right click, than on it's 30 block drop - SPLASH!). Remember, both of these abilities properties are combined into one diversive move. The Flood/Wave can be frozen with Surge and PhaseChange techniques.
  • Letting go of shift, will make the whole stream drop onto fall, leaving a created flood (not a fullblock)
v----- For a better Visualizationg of this idea, I'll post an visual image of in-game gif down here below -----v
============================================================================================
============================================================================================

This is one of they ways how Transition (I really think of a better name of this Mechanic) can be utilized. I will be posting more moves into separate threads. Post any feedback and constructive critisim below. Bye :)

Last edited:

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
The Stream Placing featuresalso makes it usefull to transport it into tiny patches/holes, for a player to easily send surge throught a shell/building (like how seen in the video).

Loony

Verified Member
I think this is a very interesting and cool idea and it would make Waterbending feel more like the element of change like it's supposed to be.

I imagine it would be very hard to code, but we like a challenge!
Looking into, and nice work on the suggestion.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Scio

I had thought of the other 3 mechanics for each of the other 3 elements. Now I have think of an good example of a skill for each of them that can be utilized :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.