• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Suggestion Mod Preview Review

Betaman

I want to leave some of my feedback on the current preview build of the mod and I got to say I really like the updated water bending mechanics. It really feels like you can own your domain in snow biomes now and use all your surroundings against your opponent. I like water cannon as it really feels like you are collecting as much water as you can and releasing it into your opponent. Nice touch with water cannon moving from defense to offense as it fits with waterbendings style of combat. I like water arcs new mechanics as well. Water skate is a very key component to the new waterbending mechanics.

The only few things I will say for waterbending that needs adjustment is that 1) Water Arc path 1 seems a really weird path choice imo as it shines away from the base ability of being a controllable water arc to a throwable projectile that does more damage upon a third hit. To me water arc path 1 should be where the water is denser therefore causing a much more bigger splash and more damage. Path 1 just seems too plain to me and functions like a mini water cannon. Path 2 should be able to cut through blocks and through armor. To me these two paths just fit together more because they both do the same thing but at the same time have unique perks too.

2)Another thing I see with water bending is when it is raining, the path for water skate that allows you to go on land is kind of useless in the rain which is kind of weird because rain should enhance a water bender. So when in rain there should be more particles making you go faster and this speed increase causes mobs behind to be push back by the ongoing flow of water.

3)And also on the abilities sheet I see that there is plan for adding an ability called water bullets. If the ability is added wouldn't it just be a duplicate of rapid fire from water cannon?
Other than those nit picks water bending is really cool and fun to play with.

Onto firebending the new ability inferno punch is cool and fun to play with. It feels like an aggressive attack which makes since. Though the second path Fireball feels like a copy cat of the actual fireball ability so instead I think path 2 should either do a punch that has the reach of sword. Like you are punching multiple enemies with the same fiery fist but the aoe is not as big so the enemies that are closest in front of you are the main ones damaged. Or when punching a mob the radius is increased in front of you so any mob behind the one you actually punched is also effected up to a certain amount of blocks. Fire Jump needs some nerfing because it is relatively easy to kill mobs with only using that ability because of the fire damage upon taking off and landing.

Lastly I think lightning raze is a terrible ability designed for the type of system being developed. It just feels like an overall unnecessary ability that feels like I'm using arcane magic or using a magical greek spell or something and it looks ridiculous calling lightning down to strike a certain area, even when underground, knowing the limitations of bending. The fact that you can just look at a block as well and summon lightning at opponent requiring no aim is going to be annoying in Pvp. Lightning is a high damaging move. But being high damage the cost is the move is hard to aim at a moving target and takes a few seconds to charge and this move breaks that balance between those factors. I guess you could just add a charge time to the move but then it would function just like combustion and that would make combustion futile because they both function the same way. My point is each bending has it's own limitations and unique ways of attack. You don't want combustion and lightning to do the same thing because then whats the point of trying both sub bending's. And imo sticking to those attributes like from the show will balance the mod more than just the number of hearts something does.

Last edited:

FavouriteDragon

Staff member
Forge Developer
I want to leave some of my feedback on the current preview build of the mod and I got to say I really like the updated water bending mechanics. It really feels like you can own your domain in snow biomes now and use all your surroundings against your opponent. I like water cannon as it really feels like you are collecting as much water as you can and releasing it into your opponent. Nice touch with water cannon moving from defense to offense as it fits with waterbendings style of combat. I like water arcs new mechanics as well. Water skate is a very key component to the new waterbending mechanics.

The only few things I will say for waterbending that needs adjustment is that 1) Water Arc path 1 seems a really weird path choice imo as it shines away from the base ability of being a controllable water arc to a throwable projectile that does more damage upon a third hit. To me water arc path 1 should be where the water is denser therefore causing a much more bigger splash and more damage. Path 1 just seems too plain to me and functions like a mini water cannon. Path 2 should be able to cut through blocks and through armor. To me these two paths just fit together more because they both do the same thing but at the same time have unique perks too.

2)Another thing I see with water bending is when it is raining, the path for water skate that allows you to go on land is kind of useless in the rain which is kind of weird because rain should enhance a water bender. So when in rain there should be more particles making you go faster and this speed increase causes mobs behind to be push back by the ongoing flow of water.

3)And also on the abilities sheet I see that there is plan for adding an ability called water bullets. If the ability is added wouldn't it just be a duplicate of rapid fire from water cannon?

Onto firebending the new ability inferno punch is cool and fun to play with. It feels like an aggressive attack which makes since. Though the second path Fireball feels like a copy cat of the actual fireball ability so instead I think path 2 should either do a punch that has the reach of sword. Like you are punching multiple enemies with the same fiery fist but the aoe is not as big so the enemies that are closest in front of you are the main ones damaged. Or when punching a mob the radius is increased in front of you so any mob behind the one you actually punched is also effected up to a certain amount of blocks. Fire Jump needs some nerfing because it is relatively easy to kill mobs with only using that ability because of the fire damage upon taking off and landing.

Lastly I think lightning raze is a terrible ability designed for the type of system being developed. It just feels like an overall unnecessary ability that feels like I'm using arcane magic or using a magical greek spell or something and it looks ridiculous calling lightning down to strike a certain area, even when underground, knowing the limitations of bending. The fact that you can just look at a block as well and summon lightning at opponent requiring no aim is going to be annoying in Pvp. Lightning is a high damaging move. But being high damage the cost is the move is hard to aim at a moving target and takes a few seconds to charge and this move breaks that balance between those factors. I guess you could just add a charge time to the move but then it would function just like combustion and that would make combustion futile because they both function the same way. My point is each bending has it's own limitations and unique ways of attack. You don't want combustion and lightning to do the same thing because then whats the point of trying both sub bending's. And imo sticking to those attributes like from the show will balance the mod more than just the number of hearts something does.
Haha thanks! I really worked on water bending! I'll see what I can do for water skate, and thanks for the awesome path idea!
Well lightning raze was honestly just fun to code and use rather than canon... However, I have balanced- it isn't actually vanilla lightning, but custom lightning, that does custom damage, so it's not THAT op. I understand your concern about feeling OP, so, I'm gonna add a charge handler. Obviously, this ability is really op, and when skill trees are added, it'll be hard to unlock. I'll also see what I can do for fire jump.
For the concept abilities- they're mostly concept, so yeah, a lot of them might be copy cats :p
As for more aesthetics, I'm gonna be continually revamping everything, models, textures, paths, e.t.c More abilities will also be coming! Got some cool lightning ones coming up, among others. Also, in the future, I'm gonna be adding some non-canon things as part of the mod- however, it's not gonna largely impact gameplay unless you allow it. Additionally, there'll be some super-fun addons.

FavouriteDragon

Staff member
Forge Developer

Just finished that inferno punch upgrade! You can now hit enemies from far away AND cause collateral damage!!!!!

Betaman

Cool! Thanks for considering my ideas. I just want to help the mod stand out. And having unique abilities and elements will surly make it more enjoyable and long lasting so players don't get the sense that once they played the mod with one element in survival they played them all. Which is why I'm against copy cats but also the fact that there will be a chance that the ability will just be a waste of space. Firebending should be aggressive and in your face. While airbending is all about avoidance and wearing down your opponent. And for the canon thing I guess you could add a config option but when people see your mod they are automatically gonna think avatar things.

Last edited:

Betaman

And I looked on your trello page all if not some of those abilities on the recommended tab should be implemented as they are abilities type that the elements actually don't have like fire doesn't have any defense

FavouriteDragon

Staff member
Forge Developer
Cool! Thanks for considering my ideas. I just want to help the mod stand out. And having unique abilities and elements will surly make it more enjoyable and long lasting so players don't get the sense that once they played the mod with one element in survival they played them all. Which is why I'm against copy cats but also the fact that there will be a chance that the ability will just be a waste of space. Firebending should be aggressive and in your face. While airbending is all about avoidance and wearing down your opponent. And for the canon thing I guess you could add a config option but when people see your mod they are automatically gonna think avatar things.
And I looked on your trello page all if not some of those abilities on the recommended tab should be implemented as they are abilities type that the elements actually don't have like fire doesn't have any defense
Yep! I will add most, if not all of them in some way, shape or form! And yeah, I do plan to have that in the config :D
Thanks! Yeah I understand your concern... I'm gonna try and make abilities pretty unique, or if they share the same style, have their own unique twist on that type of move (shield, blast, e.t.c). Just fixed some bugs and I'm gonna get a release out pretty soon!