• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Dodge(All Elements)

Would you like to see this in Project Korra?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vidant829

Verified Member
Concept: In The Legend of Korra and Avatar the Last Airbender, benders are constantly seen using their element to assist them in combat whether it be attacking, defending or trying to avoid conflict all together.

Idea: Dodging would be its own separate ability that would be provided for each of the elements including Chi. When performed correctly, a player will be able to effectively avoid incoming attacks as well as having the potential to even counter. However, a way to keep this system from being over used is that once a dodge has been performed up to three times in quick succession; the player will gain slowness and weakness for 1 second as well as not being able to perform the ability again for 3 seconds.

Dodging would also not negate damage and could be intercepted with a well timed attack at where the player hit will gain weakness for 2 seconds as well as not being able to perform the ability again for 3 seconds.

Air: By holding down shift and then left clicking onto their desired location within 10 blocks of them, an Airbender will move at incredible speeds to the location but face the opposite direction of which they were originally looking at.
upload_2014-10-26_18-45-53.png

Fire: By jumping and then holding down shift while using the directional keys to decide which way they will go, a Firebender will use their element to quickly propel themselves in mid-air; towards the direction originally chosen while in midair for a limited amount of time or until canceled by letting go of shift.
upload_2014-10-26_18-39-1.png

Earth: By holding down shift and using the directional keys to decide which direction they will go, an Earthbender will push out a small mound of earth and ride along with it for a limited amount of time or until canceled as it goes in a straight line towards the direction originally chosen.
upload_2014-10-26_18-25-7.png

Water: By holding down shift and using the directional keys to steer with a water bottle in hand, a Waterbender will begin to quickly slide in their desired direction in a fluid motion for a limited amount of time or until canceled at where the water they were using will return back into their bottle.
upload_2014-10-26_18-27-8.png

Chi: By shifting and left clicking onto their desired within 5 blocks of them, a Chiblocker will commence a standard role and will face the direction they were originally looking at.

Last edited:

Kwesi

Verified Member
It's an interesting concept, but I feel it's the same dodging technique with slight variations for each element. I think it's important for each element to have a fair amount of diversity. I understand that this could be very useful and look quite dynamic, but it also seems like it could easily make bending in combat quite monotonous if used regularly. Players would probably get into a habit of attack, dodge, attack, dodge, attack, dodge. They might spend so much time trying to use it as a way to keep themselves safe from damage that they neglect to put their refined techniques and combos into practice.

Another thing is that this could easily become very overpowered, especially if mastered (although it's already extremely easy to use). If they can dodge in succession 3 times, even if they were to suffer the weakness and slowness, it's only for a single second, and in the next second the can simply repeat the same sequence. The cooldown is way too short and the succession rate is way too high. The amount of land they can cover plus the amount of attacks they could so very easily dodge is excessive. I think configuration would desperately be needed, and even then this ability still pushes some limits, in both balance and diversity.

As much as this ability can come in handy it can also be hazardous in a lot of other ways. It's an interesting suggestion to put out there though and I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Adam

Verified Member
This idea is very well put together, and it is very useful against many situations, and the configuration can always be changed, to balance it.So i don't mind about the cooldown and such stuff, but i still agree with Kwesi that the move, in certain circumstances (a lot of them) would just bore everyone out.... it's like giving the agility of Air to all elements, which in wrong hands, will result in a hand of people that will dominate the server, not taking damage at all.

vidant829

Verified Member
It's an interesting concept, but I feel it's the same dodging technique with slight variations for each element. I think it's important for each element to have a fair amount of diversity. I understand that this could be very useful and look quite dynamic, but it also seems like it could easily make bending in combat quite monotonous if used regularly. Players would probably get into a habit of attack, dodge, attack, dodge, attack, dodge. They might spend so much time trying to use it as a way to keep themselves safe from damage that they neglect to put their refined techniques and combos into practice.

Another thing is that this could easily become very overpowered, especially if mastered (although it's already extremely easy to use). If they can dodge in succession 3 times, even if they were to suffer the weakness and slowness, it's only for a single second, and in the next second the can simply repeat the same sequence. The cooldown is way too short and the succession rate is way too high. The amount of land they can cover plus the amount of attacks they could so very easily dodge is excessive. I think configuration would desperately be needed, and even then this ability still pushes some limits, in both balance and diversity.

As much as this ability can come in handy it can also be hazardous in a lot of other ways. It's an interesting suggestion to put out there though and I enjoyed it nonetheless.
So in terms of all the dodge being somewhat similar, I felt it should be for the sake of balancing. In terms of making battles tiresome and I should have made it clear while describing the idea but dodging wouldn't negate damage; only act as a more efficient way of avoiding it. It sort of balances itself out in the sense that more skilled players will be able to know when to attack and when to cease until the time is right. Cool downs tying into this, one second in a battle especially with the mcmmo plugin dominating bending servers; can mean life or death. Though when coming up with the times and its number of uses, I did keep in mind that they would probably be altered if the ability were to be implemented. Thanks for your feedback as always and I'm glad that you like it to some degree.

vidant829

Verified Member
This idea is very well put together, and it is very useful against many situations, and the configuration can always be changed, to balance it.So i don't mind about the cooldown and such stuff, but i still agree with Kwesi that the move, in certain circumstances (a lot of them) would just bore everyone out.... it's like giving the agility of Air to all elements, which in wrong hands, will result in a hand of people that will dominate the server, not taking damage at all.
This was again my fault for not clarifying but dodging would not negate damage but only act as more efficient way of avoiding it. With a well aimed and timed attack, a player can manage to intercept another's attempt to dodge. Thanks for the feedback and I'll have that fixed.

Kwesi

Verified Member
This was again my fault for not clarifying but dodging would not negate damage but only act as more efficient way of avoiding it. With a well aimed and timed attack, a player can manage to intercept another's attempt to dodge. Thanks for the feedback and I'll have that fixed.
I know the purpose of dodging; I know it doesn't negate damage (that would be illogical) and that's it's a more efficient way to avoid attacks. I'm also aware a second can mean life and death, but at times where the players are at higher health (which usually counts for most of the time, especially when about to engage in PvP combat), players can just dash everywhere and they could easily avoid a LOT of damage without applying that much level of skill with their bending, but simply "semi-spamming" this ability. It functions almost the exact same way for all benders, so all players could just "semi-spam" it to do the same thing. I suppose my point is that, whether or not this ability has the potential to be integrated into a master bender's incredibly effective combination for PvP, it simultaneously makes it just as easy to for players lacking skill to avoid so much damage.

An ability like this could work, but it needs a bit more diversity for each element and to be scaled back quite a bit in order to be necessary, in my opinion.

Verdinhox2

Verified Member
I know the purpose of dodging; I know it doesn't negate damage (that would be illogical) and that's it's a more efficient way to avoid attacks. I'm also aware a second can mean life and death, but at times where the players are at higher health (which usually counts for most of the time, especially when about to engage in PvP combat), players can just dash everywhere and they could easily avoid a LOT of damage without applying that much level of skill with their bending, but simply "semi-spamming" this ability. It functions almost the exact same way for all benders, so all players could just "semi-spam" it to do the same thing. I suppose my point is that, whether or not this ability has the potential to be integrated into a master bender's incredibly effective combination for PvP, it simultaneously makes it just as easy to for players lacking skill to avoid so much damage.

An ability like this could work, but it needs a bit more diversity for each element and to be scaled back quite a bit in order to be necessary, in my opinion.
so what about a cooldown? or make that when dodging you can't use any bending, or maybe make that all the elements when dodging they dodge to the opposite direction of the way they were looking at, there is too much possibilities to slve the spam and op problems

Kwesi

Verified Member
so what about a cooldown? or make that when dodging you can't use any bending, or maybe make that all the elements when dodging they dodge to the opposite direction of the way they were looking at, there is too much possibilities to slve the spam and op problems
The suggestion is a 1 second cooldown, which seems way too short for an ability like this, so configuration would be able to help with personal preferences. The air dodge makes them face the other way, but it's still a very minor thing which doesn't necessarily make it more difficult to execute attacks while of after dodging, and if anything, when used the the right position relative to the attacker, would make it easier.

The rate of succession is so high, it makes dodging multiple attacks a rather easy thing to do with minimal effort, which naturally, already seems overpowered to most.

These abilities, although I find them quite interesting, are slightly redundant in some cases. The elements already have their diverse ways to covering great distances at high speed, and the best part to me is that the abilities are not only practical for combat, but for traveling, which I like because I think movement-based abilities should have a wise general practicality rather than simply focus on combat, excluding some situations. Abilities such as FireJet for firebenders, the passive fast swimming of the waterbenders, AirBlast for airbenders and Catapult for earthbenders.

These dodging abilities you have suggesting could work, but to me, they need to be nerfed to a more appropriate scale to make them abilities that are executed with precise timing and skill in order to be effective rather than something that's effective too easily because of possible spamming in some way or another.

TheSkyKing

Verified Member
A benders ability to dodge shouldnt be a set move. Benders of all elements already have a way to avoid taking damage from oncomimg attacks. Dodging is one of the things that sets an exprerienced bender apart from a novice

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
A benders ability to dodge shouldnt be a set move. Benders of all elements already have a way to avoid taking damage from oncomimg attacks. Dodging is one of the things that sets an exprerienced bender apart from a novice
I agree. Not to mention that this a shortcut to BASIC minecraft Pvp

Status
Not open for further replies.