• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Looking Into Different Avatarstate!

Dr_CrossFire

Verified Member
So currently we have the Avatarstate ability which enhances your moves and buffs you. I believe it currently has a cooldown and a short usage time to mimic its rarity and power in the show.

However, I am here to tell you that it is not entirely accurate.

Korra, and in the last season of tla, Aang, were shown to go in and out of Avatarstate at will. Sort of. In the show it is being explained as a mechanism to prevent people from killing the avatar, and as such, it is one meant for survival. So I thought of this:

When the avatar reaches half a heart, the Avatarstate kicks in. No bindable move, no clicking, etc. you'll have all the regular buffs and move enhancements. You will be granted a large resistance buff, and this is where the complicated stuff happens; you'll receive regeneration I (or at least a slow version of regeneration), and as soon as your health bar is full, the Avatarstate will stop.

I've been toying around with the idea for a bit and initially thought the avatar should be granted immunity in Avatarstate to prevent the player from dying anyway on half a heart, and to ensure the slow regeneration to be constant, but then I figured even stuff like lightning (which Azula used in the show to great effect) wouldn't be able to hurt the avatar. Perhaps immunity for the first two or three seconds, to ensure you'll regain enough hearts? Either way, this would have a large cooldown to prevent the avatar from being unkillable and god-like.

In my humble opinion, I'd like Avatarstate to not be like "i pres butan, I kill u now with lightning spam lol", but I'd like it to be more situational and keep it more fair for other players, as well as mimic the show more accurately. Then again, perhaps this is more RPG-oriented in that aspect, but I'll leave that up to the devs to decide.

What do you think? Share your thoughts below.

Last edited:

Phorcys77

Verified Member
I think this is really cool! It corresponds more with the show, but it seems OP that it lasts until your health is full again. It seems like no one would be able to kill you. And how would you determine if someone gets avatar state if you don't bind a move? Would it be a permission?

Kwesi

Verified Member
The Avatar State does originally serve as a defense mechanism, yes, but it can be mastered. When mastered they only temporarily draw power from their past lives and their eyes only flash blue rather than continue to glow. They then use that power for the current situation, so it is not only for survival.

I will say that I really like this suggestion; it does make the avatar state a more realistic element to the whole thing. I reckon the feature would be made configurable if implemented but it's a really good idea.

Moonelight

Verified Member
Hehe, what about summoning previous Avatars? In one of the episodes of TLA, Roku summons from Aang to defeat a bunch of fire benders.

This would be difficult, but maybe just ghost projections of characters?

Ehh, of topic.

Stephano The Pebble

Verified Member
This idea brings tears to my eyes.. Finally avatars aren't all gung-ho noob benders that spam all of the elements. I really like the last half-heart thing. But an idea that would be awesome is:

If you get down to 1 heart, you gain resistance, speed, jump, a lot of regeneration and just a slight bit of strength. All of the abilities will last until you reach half health.

If you lose 4 hearts in under a second, you gain all of the effects above but with 1.5 hearts more damage on your attacks. And you lose this effect when you are at 2 hearts or below.

Helios

Verified Member
I love how this activates at a half heart, but I think making it regenerate ALL of your health is a bit OP. Maybe to 6 or 7 hearts?

Gahshunk

Verified Member
I would personally change the health threshold to 1 heart just to give that extra chance since PvP can be harsh and make people skip that half heart straight to death in one shot.

Dr_CrossFire

Verified Member
I think this is really cool! It corresponds more with the show, but it seems OP that it lasts until your health is full again. It seems like no one would be able to kill you. And how would you determine if someone gets avatar state if you don't bind a move? Would it be a permission?
I imagine the permission line would be the same; bending.ability.avatarstate. As for the regen, I'm sure the regen potency could be configurable, I just said it should be slow so that the avatar isn't in Avatarstate for just five seconds.
I love how this activates at a half heart, but I think making it regenerate ALL of your health is a bit OP. Maybe to 6 or 7 hearts?
Perhaps it's a little OP, but then again, waterbenders can do the same with HealingWaters. I thought the health regen would make for a decent "limit" as to when it stops; full health would mean you're in a lot less danger, meaning the "defence mechanism" had succeeded.

Helios

Verified Member
Perhaps it's a little OP, but then again, waterbenders can do the same with HealingWaters. I thought the health regen would make for a decent "limit" as to when it stops; full health would mean you're in a lot less danger, meaning the "defence mechanism" had succeeded.
The reason why Healing Waters isn't OP; you cant move or attack while doing it. With this change to AvatarState, you'd regenerate ALL of your health WHILE using extremely powerful moves, with no cooldown or chargetime, for as long as it takes to fill your health up all the way, and in the heat of PvP, who knows how long that will take? I think that this goes against your whole reasoning for this change.

Phorcys77

Verified Member
Yeah you can't do anything while using healing waters. You kinda have to get away or hide for a little bit. If this was added to avatar state, you can regen and kick butt at the same time. That seems a little too op to me, but i don't know how you would fix this.

Dr_CrossFire

Verified Member
The reason why Healing Waters isn't OP; you cant move or attack while doing it. With this change to AvatarState, you'd regenerate ALL of your health WHILE using extremely powerful moves, with no cooldown or chargetime, for as long as it takes to fill your health up all the way, and in the heat of PvP, who knows how long that will take? I think that this goes against your whole reasoning for this change.
But the regen happens anyway, in the current avatstate too. And that one doesn't stop until you are at full health. I just don't want Avatarstate to be a button you click to kill people instantly. That's my reasoning for the change; I don't find the Avatar's regen OP, I find the ability to use it at will OP.

Also, I said it should regenerate to full health because I thought it'd make for a nice indicator as to how long you have left in Avatarstate. Of course, all details are subject to change; I'm no coder nor concept designer, this suggestion was to give people a general idea of something that had crossed my mind. I'll leave the balancing to the devs.

Kwesi

Verified Member
But the regen happens anyway, in the current avatstate too. And that one doesn't stop until you are at full health. I just don't want Avatarstate to be a button you click to kill people instantly. That's my reasoning for the change; I don't find the Avatar's regen OP, I find the ability to use it at will OP.

Also, I said it should regenerate to full health because I thought it'd make for a nice indicator as to how long you have left in Avatarstate. Of course, all details are subject to change; I'm no coder nor concept designer, this suggestion was to give people a general idea of something that had crossed my mind. I'll leave the balancing to the devs.
I wonder if this could help with your suggestion, adding on to being used as a defense mechanics but still pertaining to your idea of what you believe the avatar state should be:

As I stated before, it is a defense mechanism, but it can be mastered. I suggest that player still be able to access the avatar state at will, but with a time limit. This would equate to an avatar drawing temporary power from their past lives after having mastered it. I also think it should have a fairly lengthy default cooldown.

I think that, whether it be used the way you suggested or in the way I think could be added, that the same cooldown would apply.

I think this would help make the avatar state completely appropriate in all aspects of its entirety and balance. What do you all think?

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
Perhaps the Avatar State doesn't last until fully healed. As displayed with Aang (shot with lightning) and Korra (poisoned) it can fail. Also, it didn't activate when Roku was dying of ash inhalation. Not sure what my point is but I'm just bringing up this information.