• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Concept Design

ashe36

Hey all!
So, as a Concept Designer, I think I can speak for most of my department when I say it's not easy creating moves. I will assure you that most of not all of us read your suggestions, even though there are quiet a few. I'm going to try to give you all some tips on creating moves.

Be unique
When we concept design, we tend to try to create moves that don't just mimic other abilities. We aim for a completely new product, not just something to replace another move. For example, if I were to design a new move for air, I wouldn't just make a move that you click and it does 4 hearts of damage, because then what would the point of AirSwipe be? We try to create products we can all work on, which brings me to my next point.

Stay Open to Suggestions
This is just for everyday life, really. You can not please everyone, and although that's true, you should create something expecting it to be changed up a little bit. I know when I bring things to the table I'm ready for other's to look at it and either say "What are you doing ashe" or maybe work on it a little bit, but most things are going to be refined or just not added.

The Realm of Possibility
Most of us aren't coders. I get that. I'm not a coder myself, but I always try to create things I know are possible. When working on something new, you have to keep in mind this is a plugin. That means a multitude of things, but for one, you can't add anything into the game that isn't already there. This gives us a lot of limitations, but our jobs as CD's (and Devs) is to work around those limitations and try to get the best product possible.

Being Realistic
Chances are, your one-hit KO move is not going to be considered. Although you want to be unique, you always should try to create something that actually goes along with the plugin. For instance, we're creating an avatar plugin. I usually tend to go onto the Avatar Wiki and look for things that may not be already in the plugin. This is so I don't make things up, or just completely copy another move, with just more hearts taken. When designing things for PK I try to keep one simple thought in mind. "Would they actually be able to do this in the avatar universe?"

A Few Edits:
1. Try not to make shortcuts in bending. Really, changing a move or adding a move specifically just to replace another move that has the same function, but just takes some practice doesn't help at all.
2. Referring people to your thread. Don't do it. Telling someone that you already had that idea or "Oh yeah you should check out my thread since I already posted a better version of what you said," doesn't help anyone. Everyone has different takes on the plugin's direction.

• Those are both pretty common things I see on the forums, so they're more directed to this specific forum.

These are only a few things, but I do promise we look at a lot of threads. This is to overall help people suggest things that actually may be added, but I cannot guarantee that anything posted will be added to Project Korra. This is to also help you guys keep in mind that Concept Designers do exist, and we are working on getting things done in the plugin.
Thanks,
ashe36

Last edited:

orfeas

This should actually be attached to the important post of the admin that talks about how to make a suggestion thread.What you said is very true but sadly almost no one checks out the general discussion .Btw for me it does not say concept Designer at your profile.

V

Vidcom

This should actually be attached to the important post of the admin that talks about how to make a suggestion thread.What you said is very true but sadly almost no one checks out the general discussion .Btw for me it does not say concept Designer at your profile.
He's no longer a CD