• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Chi Ability: Cripple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwesi

Verified Member
Name: Cripple

Description: Strike at the legs of the target to slow them down.

How It Could Work: The chiblocker simply strikes the opponent with left-click and it will deal damage while afflicting slowness on them for perhaps 2 seconds default.

This is a logical ability and I believe it is rather balanced. It provides chiblockers will greater strategy and capacity.

I hope people like the suggestion and any helpful comments are welcomed. Thank you. :)

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Verified Member
The name is really offensive.
It's not that offensive. I see where you're going with that, but to cripple somebody is something you can do. When used as a verb:
verb (used with object), crippled, crippling.
to make a cripple of; lame.
to disable; impair; weaken.

Kwesi

Verified Member
The name is really offensive.
Yeah, you definitely read the name in the wrong context: the name of the ability refers to the action of crippling not the derogatory noun. Those in the community with enough sense would not submit a name that inappropriate. The name for this ability is appropriate for its function.

Kwesi

Verified Member
How about "Tackle"? Cripple seems a little extreme...
I'm not sure if tackle grasps the concept of the move as much as cripple does (since the effect actually cripples them temporarily) but I'll see what other names I like if I find one better.

Kwesi

Verified Member
How about "Tackle"? Cripple seems a little extreme...
I actually submitted a tackling ability for chiblockers other than this, so I don't think tackle is what I could name this. I suspect you mean "extreme" in the sense of the term people use for those physically disabled in some way, which is not what the name is. The term describes the verb, which is uses in an entirely neutral fashion and is not derogatory.

Orion_Solus

Verified Member
Just an idea here but could waterbenders use healingwaters to heal their "broken bones" ?
Ps: not trying to make water immune to this move.

Kwesi

Verified Member
Just an idea here but could waterbenders use healingwaters to heal their "broken bones" ?
Ps: not trying to make water immune to this move.
The crippling effect shouldn't last that long on default, so it shouldn't take too long for any victim to recover.

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
I still think the name is offensive. That's like saying the verb "retard" isn't offensive. Yes, retard is both a verb and a noun.

Kwesi

Verified Member
I still think the name is offensive. That's like saying the verb "retard" isn't offensive. Yes, retard is both a verb and a noun.
You're simply giving an example of the same point I'm making. Retard used as a verb is not offensive. You're perceiving these two words in the derogatory context, which is incorrect since those words can be used (and were used before these other forms came about) in a way that is not offensive and simply the definitions. Definitions are not offensive if the definition itself is neutral (which it is with these words). It's all about context. With all due respect, whether or not you think the name is offensive, it actually isn't. It's not even open for debate. The word is being in its standard context so I hope you can respect that, other than that, I really don't know what else to point out.

Last edited:

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
You're simply giving an example of the same point I'm making. Retard used as a verb is not offensive. You're perceiving these two words in the derogatory context, which is incorrect since those words can be used (and were used before these other forms came about) in a way that is not offensive and simply the definitions. Definitions are not offensive if the definition itself is neutral (which it is with these words). It's all about context. With all due respect, whether or not you think the name is offensive, it actually isn't. It's not even open for debate. The word is being in its standard context so I hope you can respect that, other than that, I really don't know what else to point out.
Same goes for the "n" word it's not a derogatory term. It just means ignorant person. If you go walking around a server shouting "cripple" or "retard" your bound to get in trouble. Second, if I take offense to it, others will to. Just because you don't find a word to be offensive doesn't mean it isn't. Also I don't know if you know this, but this move already exists :O it's called paralyze

Kwesi

Verified Member
Same goes for the "n" word it's not a derogatory term. It just means ignorant person. If you go walking around a server shouting "cripple" or "retard" your bound to get in trouble. Second, if I take offense to it, others will to. Just because you don't find a word to be offensive doesn't mean it isn't. Also I don't know if you know this, but this move already exists :O it's called paralyze
Once again, every example you're using to make your points is used in the derogatory sense. I really must stress to you, simply being offended is not enough to make you right; offense is relative and in this case you're offended by the word in the context different from what I'm actually using. Also, despite its being probable, I don't advise you to speak for other people in terms of personal offense.

On the other note, paralyze is an ability that completely disables physical movement, this ability is meant to slow the target down; their functions are different and would be used in different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.