• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Looking Into Bending Leveling System

SchvinDZC

Verified Member
I'm assuming some sort of leveling system is already planned, but I'll throw out my take on it. Just a warning, this is going to be pretty brief and lacking a ton of detail. This is just the groundwork.

When a bender first starts, they would begin at bending level 1 with a few basic, weak abilities. As they use these abilities to successfully defeat mobs or players, their bending level would slowly go up. Every few levels they could be awarded skill points which they could use to either upgrade an already existing move (opening up new functions or increasing dmg/range/speed) or to unlock new moves (unlocking entirely new moves would probably require more skill points than simply upgrading).
Other RPG features would probably end up influencing this system, such as boss mobs awarding more experience or maybe unlocking certain moves. Perhaps scrolls could be added to unlock moves instead, dropped from mobs or found in dungeons. The possibilities are endless. ;)

OmniCypher

Staff member
Lead Developer
Administrator
Plugin Developer
I've been thinking of a possible way this system could work and be implemented (all conceptual of course, nothing official) and I like your use of skill points.

Ahrim

Verified Member
Sorry to say but I think I recall Mist or someone from the dev team saying it's not going to happen. ofcourse I could be wrong, but I swear I recall someone saying it.

V

Vidcom

Definitely not in Core. Although it would fit in the RPG plugin, we like to keep our options open to server admins, so any system would simply be an optimized permissions system.

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
This is a great idea and I believe scrolls could be a nice feature to unlock moves.
I think unlocking at a certain level is a better method. Because Minecraft isn't very good at generating loot or structures. It would also make anybody who comes in at anytime other than when a server first starts too late for the punch. Not only this but that way it would be configurable, such as a server owner could turn unlocking on or off, or change the levels that things are earned at.

Majorite

Verified Member
I think unlocking at a certain level is a better method. Because Minecraft isn't very good at generating loot or structures. It would also make anybody who comes in at anytime other than when a server first starts too late for the punch. Not only this but that way it would be configurable, such as a server owner could turn unlocking on or off, or change the levels that things are earned at.
True, however, in the show they have shown to learn bending from Masters/scrolls. In some cases, they self-taught themselves. I think it could be a combination of both. Perhaps benders could unlock the move at a certain level, and the scroll helps them level-up faster. I do realize that generating structures in minecraft can be a challenge to code, but it can be done efficiently if attempted.

SchvinDZC

Verified Member
I was thinking scrolls could also be dropped from boss mobs, but I agree that I like the leveling method a little bit better. Perhaps if not all moves were unlocked through scrolls, special ones could be? (combustion, maybe lavabending, etc.)
True, however, in the show they have shown to learn bending from Masters/scrolls. In some cases, they self-taught themselves. I think it could be a combination of both. Perhaps benders could unlock the move at a certain level, and the scroll helps them level-up faster. I do realize that generating structures in minecraft can be a challenge to code, but it can be done efficiently if attempted.
Using scrolls as xp boosts is a good idea too. Or perhaps moves have to be learned through scrolls but can be upgraded freely with skillpoints? I'm just throwing suggestions out there, there's a lot of ways they could implement this.

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
I was thinking scrolls could also be dropped from boss mobs, but I agree that I like the leveling method a little bit better. Perhaps if not all moves were unlocked through scrolls, special ones could be? (combustion, maybe lavabending, etc.)

Using scrolls as xp boosts is a good idea too. Or perhaps moves have to be learned through scrolls but can be upgraded freely with skillpoints? I'm just throwing suggestions out there, there's a lot of ways they could implement this.
I like that Idea. That scrolls raise your stats, that's more RPG based. I like the concept of learning moves at a set point like Pokémon but having items that raise individual stats like skill books in Skyrim.