• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

1.8 a bit laggy for you guys?

DanStryder

Verified Member
So hey guys,I've got a hosted server that's dedicated and I'm running a fair bit of RAM on the bending server and it's still fairly laggy for a player who initially joins, then it kinda spikes here and there, I'm running a fairly good pc and I'm not that laggy, I've suggested optifine to those who are laggy but even then they still have trouble with the server.

My server is hosted in Bristol, England and the majority of my playerbase is from America and the UK, even my UK players suffer from lag.

Does anyone else get this?

xD Cel Dx

Verified Member
it will get sorted eventualy dont worry with 1.8 comes ALOT of new unsolved bugs just waiting to be discovered, i have the same problem but mine is hosted in usa. may i ask what version of pk you're using? ive found with the latest version when people use lightning it lags the server terribly not sure why this is and i get 0 error logs from it, think it has something to do with the way it jumps from block to block in an unpredictable manor.. ill do some research and see if i can find a way to solve this.. there are a couple of moves that cause server wide lag they're just waiting for someone to report them, ive kinda gave up reporting bugs as i cant seem to get the layout right.. so my bugs remain untill someone else reports them, i think the way bugs reports are handled needs work specialy seeing as there are still reported bugs in the system from the earlier versions e.g avatarstate + waterspout still twitches the crap out of peoples screens an what not
i know staff are busy and not everything can be done but you guys make like certain things are so damn impossible but everything is possible in minecraft, take blue firebending for an example, everyone said that was impossible.... look at the new lightning and awe in its glory and beauty specialy now the particles are infinate also not making a certain move that everyone wants because you cant be bothered to code it doesnt mean it cant be done... its been done and is working amazingly (water arms) the fact that we have 1 minecraft hand does not mean that we can only use 1 mouse button if you want to be technical then you could also say ice bullets are impossible because that uses more than one hand along with alot of other moves that currently exist like octopusform

phew happy i gt that off my chest
rant over

xD Cel Dx

Verified Member
So hey guys,I've got a hosted server that's dedicated and I'm running a fair bit of RAM on the bending server and it's still fairly laggy for a player who initially joins, then it kinda spikes here and there, I'm running a fairly good pc and I'm not that laggy, I've suggested optifine to those who are laggy but even then they still have trouble with the server.

My server is hosted in Bristol, England and the majority of my playerbase is from America and the UK, even my UK players suffer from lag.

Does anyone else get this?
im also suffering from huge lag spikes, when i join for around 5 seconds the map vanishes and remains like this untill its fully loaded theres also something about snooper settings thats popping up are you getting this too? and "black vein"

paliate

Verified Member
I own a server, personally I buy more ram then i need because i figured out that it does help to have alot of empty ram.
In the sense that it helps bending lag calm down.

I use 1.8 and i get 120fps with optifine so i guess i can't totally relate to those with fps problems but my players seem to be fine with it.
I host in the Netherlands aswell if your looking for a new location.

I think it's important to know your TPS aswell, so i frequently do /gc and if its at 19.50 it's acceptable for me, I reccomend doing /lagg unloadchunks when you get the smallest bit of lag, It really does help (especially if you dont use worldguard in your survival world)

im probably just rambling about what i do at this point.

xD Cel Dx

Verified Member
my current tps is 19.69 :D:D if you'd like you can come and check it out? i really dont know what else to do i dont get reports or anything it just causes massive amount of ping :ss everything freezes lol and i have Plenty of ram haha im technicaly not advertising im literaly just asking for help because i cant provide a decent enough bug report :S

paliate

Verified Member
Are you offering a staff member the ip of your server when advertising is forbidden? :O

the tables have turned > : D

xD Cel Dx

Verified Member
Are you offering a staff member the ip of your server when advertising is forbidden? :O

the tables have turned > : D
not exactly no im offerng first hand experience of the bug in question good sir, no one mentioned an ip, that would be on the server list :)
nice try doe

jedk1

if your server is lagging, it might be because of a multitude of reasons:
1) players have terrible computers and lag with 1.8
2) your host is bad and has terrible latency issues
3) your host is limiting your servers bandwidth, which is taken up by player joins
4) you could be running too many plugins.

however i would place my bets on your host being bad and having bad latency issues.

DanStryder

Verified Member
Mine has 12gig of RAM and is a dedicated server so I'm not running any other servers on the machine. I personally get an alright connection but some of my players don't.

jedk1

Mine has 12gig of RAM and is a dedicated server so I'm not running any other servers on the machine. I personally get an alright connection but some of my players don't.
then its latency issues. the only way to fix that is get better internet.

DanStryder

Verified Member
Sorry, I didn't mean it by my pc is the server, I mean it as I'm running a server as in I administrate it.

I've already said in my OP that it's a dedicated hosted server

And you're telling me I need to get the server's internet better or tell the players to sort theirs out?

jedk1

Sorry, I didn't mean it by my pc is the server, I mean it as I'm running a server as in I administrate it.

I've already said in my OP that it's a dedicated hosted server

And you're telling me I need to get the server's internet better or tell the players to sort theirs out?
your server needs to get better internet, as my server is hosted in london and gets 40ms ping anywhere in the world.

FearlessFrost

Verified Member
This is a bit helpful in beginning to address lag and fix it: http://www.spigotmc.org/wiki/lag-types-and-how-to-fix-them/
Also this: http://www.sk89q.com/2013/03/improving-your-minecraft-servers-performance/

12 GB of ram is good, but equally important is your CPU. A common misconception is that RAM is everything, when really a good CPU is more important (Hosts will always try to sell you on RAM more than anything) There is lots of info on CPU out there, I highly suggest searching the Spigot forums (Rather than Bukkit or Minecraft forums).

Bending is also a very resource-intensive plugin. There is no real limit to the number of plugins you can have, it's really about how intensive those plugins are. It's best to try and minimize your # of plugins, i.e: Rather than have 3 different plugins to handle vanishing, fake leaving/joining, and other vanish-related tasks, try using VanishNoPacket, which has everything in one. It is also important to make sure that the plugins you use are optimized, which you can check by reading reviews (I highly suggest Spigot's resource page rather than the dying bukkit dev) and running Timings Tests (I believe timings works on Craftbukkit, but better on Spigot). For best results with timings, /timings on during a peak hour (When the most players are bending/joining/etc.) and let it run for the duration of that hour, at the end /timings paste and look at your results. If you don't know how to read timings, this will help: http://www.spigotmc.org/threads/timings-guide-how-to-read-timings.2441/ . The test can help you see what plugins are using the most (Typically PK comes out on top, which make sense), as well as what world events are consuming too much memory, such as MobSpawn (Laggy spawner farms) and other Tick events (Some are indicative of redstone clocks and etcs.).

Also helpful is ClearLagg, which can run /lagg unloadchunks and /lagg gc. Unloading chunks and Garbage Collecting when things get laggy helps reduce the strain on the server w/o the need for a restart.

For addressing latency, it's best to try and see where your players are connecting from (Mainly the ones who complain the most about lag). There are GeoIP plugins for this, or whois searches, but if you don't want to do that you can always ask what county they're connecting from. The farther away they are from the host, the more likely they will get latency lag.

Hopefully this helps a bit, I remember struggling with the lag monster before lol. If you need more help, paste a timings here and I can take a look. Good luck! :)

Last edited:

DanStryder

Verified Member
Aye I know about RAM not being everything but it's nice when you need to process pk xD

I'll have to go over the spigot lag page again, I've done it in the past and it ran a fair bit better, I've got a few plugins that need removing to be fair

DanStryder

Verified Member
your server needs to get better internet, as my server is hosted in london and gets 40ms ping anywhere in the world.
Mine is in Bristol, I live in northern England and I get 20ms on my list, when I do /tps mine is generally under 20.1, I'll have others run the /tps command and see what the general number is, I don't think it's the internet of the server as it's on fibre optic, on the same server when I was 1.7.10 it was less laggy for players, I used to run on 250-300 fps with it even going upto the 400s and being stable, depended on if I was at the Dojo or if I was in a quiet area, now I get 250-275 with regular drops to 125